Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th August 2007, 18:45   #1
mantianak
I really should get out more.......

ZT 190+ Saloon

Default Astronomical Scope / Spotter

I need some advice.
Today I wondered into a shop called Celestial Skies. They sell a lot of stunning photographs and astronomical scopes. I was chatting with the nice lady about what I'm in to and she thought this lens was for me.

http://www.celestron.com/c2/product.php?ProdID=203
Very nifty looking thing, works in night and day.

The problem is I have no idea what this scope will achieve when peeping in to night sky. It is well priced and compact with a 3.5" aperture.

Is this a good scope?
What kind of results would I get?
mantianak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2007, 06:06   #2
Starman
Posted a thing or two

03 CDTi Tourer Conn SE auto

Hi Matianak..
Celestron or Meade both make very good Maksutov-Cassegrain type scopes. But first you need to know what you want to look at.. If its stars then no matter what size or type you buy,they will all be little flat discs with no apparent features as they are just too far away.. you will just see more of them with a larger scope..
Nebula,planets,comets,orbiting satellites inc. the moon will be greatly enhanced with the larger scopes.
The less there is inside a scope the better. mirrors and correctives for day and earth viewing all cut down light transmission and create distortion,hence all astronomy ones are inverted.
Do you need to use one in the daytime?
Of course other things to consider are portablity and price...
If its just astronomical use then I would recommend a more conventional type scope with a lager objecive lens around the same price.Hopefully the lady in the shop didn't show you wonderful pictures that you will only get on specialized equipment and tell you "you too will see...." good selling trick..
All in all this would give you a good start into the night sky..but you may also grow out of it quite quickly depending on your interest...
If you need day viewing also,then you won't be displeased with these optics
Don't know if that helps any!
Old 20th August 2007, 11:46   #3
black olive

260 SE vin 214 ( last mark 1 260 )

dont forget also that it tends to be dark and cold when you are out stargazing, and in this country we tend to get clouded out easily, so portable equipment is an asset. I had a 10 inch dobsonian reflector that I got rid of in the end, because it was too much of a pain to cart about when I wanted to use it !!
black olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2007, 16:35   #4
mantianak

ZT 190+ Saloon

Thanks for you replies.

I liked the idea of a day and night scope, I have practical uses for both. But you are right, more optics could mean more distortion.
3.5 inch could get close to the moon but maybe nothing else.

I'll have a look around to see what else is available. I've seen a picture of a 10inch scope... very cumbersome (and maybe expensive?)
Maybe somewhere around 5" will do me for now.
mantianak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2007, 16:49   #5
DavidJ
Avid contributor

MG6 & MG TF

If you need a suitably sturdy tripod with a head suitable for a scope Manti drop me a PM. I have a Manfrotto Professional series tripod (Model 144) with a Manfrotto fluid effect head (Model 200)that has served many years of use with a birding scope. It is still in excellent condition and very cheap.

It is very sturdy with the right type of head for a scope, this tripod will not buckle or collapse under the weight of a scope. I can send photos if you are interested.

Last edited by DavidJ; 20th August 2007 at 17:51..
DavidJ is offline   Reply With Quote