Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th June 2018, 18:40   #1
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts
Default Belts & Water Pumps

I've bought myself a few 1.8 k-series timing belt kits, I bought 2x Gates Powergrip timing belt kits, also the INA timing belt kit, and the Dayco timing belt kit, and a Quinton Hazel belt which turned out to be the wrong belt.

This may sound strange to some of you, but I actually find the INA kit to be the better kit in regards to quality. I obviously dont know for sure if the INA kit is in fact better than the others, its just my own opinion. How I came to my views on this was the fact that the INA kit seems to have a better quality belt, similar to the Gates belt.

Also the INA water pump has a metal propeller, where the Gates water pump has a plastic propeller, but the Gates pump weighs 36g heavier even though the propeller is made from plastic. I also bought a Valeo pump which also has a metal propeller, this looks identical to the INA pump regarding build, materials and weight.

What are peoples views on squared teeth belts with the V groove and the HTD belts with the rounded teeth?
I have found the INA belt to give a much better tooth profile than the Dayco and QH belts, the INA belt seems better in quality and is 5g heavier. than the Dayco belt. The Dayco belt is the lightest of them all, and bar far the worst looking in appearance.
The Gates and INA belts show the high strength cord is clearly visible, the rubber and fibre compound seems stronger, heavier and far better quality.

Isn't it true, the HTD round tooth belts mesh and de-mesh with the pulley a lot smoother than a square tooth belt, allowing higher speeds and less wear? You can see this from looking at the photos below, I've also heard that the HTD round tooth belts last longer, less wear... Is this why Dayco belts seem to get a lot of bad press?

These are the 4x belts... top to bottom: Gates, INA, Dayco and QH.

INA Round tooth.

Dayco Squared V-Groove.

Gates plastic propeller WP 685G.

INA metal propeller WP 649g.

Valeo metal propeller WP 650g.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GATES INA QH DAYCO A 1000x750.jpg (83.3 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg GATES 685g 600x450.JPG (76.8 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg INA 649G 600x450.JPG (80.7 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg VALEO 650g 600x450.JPG (85.9 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg INA BELT 600x450.JPG (69.5 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg DAYCO BELT 600x450.JPG (91.3 KB, 155 views)

Last edited by Dallas; 18th June 2018 at 18:59..
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2018, 07:47   #2
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
INA Round tooth.

Dayco Squared V-Groove.

Looking at the photos the teeth on the Dayco belt are equally spaced around the sprocket and would drive equally, but there are uneven gaps in the meshing of the teeth on the INA belt - from left to right the first two teeth each have a gap to the left, the next one looks pretty much central but there is a gap either side of it, and the one after that has a gap to the right.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2018, 07:59   #3
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Not very impressed with the INA belt it appears not to fit as well as the Dayco belt, I would expect the slight free play in it at the teeth or cause it to wear quicker
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2018, 09:04   #4
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I’ve fitted lots of dayco and gates belts, I’m with mike on the other one, the little gaps look wrong to me!
Old 19th June 2018, 09:19   #5
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Dayco & Gates are my preference & pretty much the only makes I tend to fit.
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2018, 12:25   #6
Dallas
This is my second home

It may be the angle I took the photo at that is giving the impression of the gap. I've just physically checked them again and I cant see a gap, it could be where the INA belt is sitting slightly back on the WP pulley though...
Old 19th June 2018, 18:34   #7
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

I personally only use Gates and never had an issue over the years

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2018, 19:46   #8
Dallas
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
I personally only use Gates and never had an issue over the years
I was surprised to learn that the Gates water pump has a plastic propeller, where the INA and Valeo pumps have metal propellers.
Old 19th June 2018, 20:22   #9
Dallas
This is my second home

... and its interesting to learn that Gates Powergrip belts are HTD belts that have the round tooth curvature, the same as the INA belt.

It appears many of these manufactures make both belt designs, such as the standard belt, the V-groove belt like the Dayco one I have, and then there's the HTD belt such as the Gates and INA belt that I also bought.

Taken from the Gates website
The curvilinear construction of PowerGrip® HTD® timing belt tooth geometry serves the following purpose: It removes stress concentration at the teeth roots which in turn gives a higher power handling capacity and longer timing belt life.

So when choosing you timing belt, its not just about choosing a brand... Its also about choosing what belt design is best, this will also have an impact on belt life.

Does anyone know if Dayco offer the HTD belts for our cars, because I cant find one?
Old 20th June 2018, 05:44   #10
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
I was surprised to learn that the Gates water pump has a plastic propeller, where the INA and Valeo pumps have metal propellers.
I’ve not used one of there water pumps, I generally use a Gates cambelt kit and if the pump needs changing go genuine if possible.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote