Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th June 2020, 08:12   #11
Caulkhead
Avid contributor

Rover75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
You say---battery empty---How do you know ??? Did you check it with a multi-meter or just assumed it was flat because the engine didn't start ?----
No I didn’t say it was empty, as you will see if you read the post. Was just looking from some help and advice, no I don’t have a multi-meter, hope that doesn’t make me a bad owner! Do you have any advice or suggestions?
Caulkhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2020, 09:24   #12
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Rick, the link does not seem to be working

macafee2
Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Rick.---Not working for me too.---
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlan View Post
There you go.
That's strange works for me on my pc and phone.

Atlan has posted a PDF copy of the website in my link, thanks mate
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2020, 11:04   #13
Spike
Posted a thing or two

Spike, Burt & Daisy

I'm fighting this exact same problem - battery fully charged, tested with ammeter and no drain from circuits. It starts, leave it overnight and it doesn't start.

Fully charged, I'm reading c.14v across the terminals but leave it overnight, i'm getting c.9.5v and it's not starting. If I had any hair, I'd have torn it out. I'm awaiting arrival of a new battery, as that seems the likely culprit but I'll report back.
Old 5th June 2020, 11:07   #14
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
I'm fighting this exact same problem - battery fully charged, tested with ammeter and no drain from circuits. It starts, leave it overnight and it doesn't start.

Fully charged, I'm reading c.14v across the terminals but leave it overnight, i'm getting c.9.5v and it's not starting. If I had any hair, I'd have torn it out. I'm awaiting arrival of a new battery, as that seems the likely culprit but I'll report back.
That's the problem we had on our TF. Fitted a new battery a couple years ago, and this year the battery kept draining if the car wasn't used for a few days. It got worse until it got to the point you could fully charge the battery, fit it in the evening and by the morning it would have drained enough to start the car. Was showing 13v when charged but wasn't holding it. replacement battery sorted it. This is why I tested for a parasitic drain as thought something was draining the battery.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2020, 11:17   #15
Supervinnie40
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 1.8 Club

Seems I'm not the only one who doesn't fully know yet whether it is a high drain of amps, or just a wonky battery.
With a 1 year old battery I'm inclined to look at the drain before looking at the battery. Although I have been told that when a battery gets to low, it can severly damage the internals. According to some, letting it go empty to much for a few times can decrease the power to 50%. But I haven't got enough knowledge to know if thats true.
Old 5th June 2020, 14:15   #16
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

The current drain should be less than around 30mA when the car has fully gone to sleep, so if you are under that then suspect the battery. Can you beg steal or borrow a battery just to rule your one out?
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2020, 14:33   #17
Spike
Posted a thing or two

Spike, Burt & Daisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supervinnie40 View Post
Seems I'm not the only one who doesn't fully know yet whether it is a high drain of amps, or just a wonky battery.
With a 1 year old battery I'm inclined to look at the drain before looking at the battery. Although I have been told that when a battery gets to low, it can severly damage the internals. According to some, letting it go empty to much for a few times can decrease the power to 50%. But I haven't got enough knowledge to know if thats true.
I've swapped the reasonably new battery from my 75 into the ZT and I'll see how that fares overnight. Leaving a battery to go flat does weaken it but I don't know the percentages. I've suffered a number of battery failures over the years from leaving them to go flat. I've learned my lessons!