Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd March 2013, 07:39   #11
NigelOBB
This is my second home

04 Rover 75 Contemporary SE - 53 Rover 75 Connoisseur -94 Mercedes W140 - 72 VW Beetle 1300

You mean this bloke http://m.green.autoblog.com/2011/09/...uinness-recor/

That's to the extreme he's still driving though.. A US gallon is 3.785 litres so it in proper money he averaged about 54mpg..

Keep smiling - it makes people wonder what you've been up to.

NigelOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2013, 11:51   #12
maintenanceman
Gets stuck in

75 CDTi Connoisseur SE Tourer, MGF vvc, 1963 MGB

Does anybody also ponder on the average speed indicated. I know I think I'm driving faster than the average speed indicates especially on non-motorway driving with junctions and roundabouts pauses. Eg you feel you've driven close to 60 mph and it indicates 40something. Got to have some effect on mpg.

Whenever I get 'sad' about mpg I remember my old Nissan which struggled to do 20mpg. (I'll just wait for the V6/8 boys to tell me their worst!)
maintenanceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2013, 13:26   #13
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maintenanceman View Post
Does anybody also ponder on the average speed indicated. I know I think I'm driving faster than the average speed indicates especially on non-motorway driving with junctions and roundabouts pauses. Eg you feel you've driven close to 60 mph and it indicates 40something.
It's the average speed over the period since the last reset. Even a short stationary period pulls average speed down considerably and it takes a lot of continuous fast driving to bring it back to where you might expect. Generally, the average indicated will always be lower than you imagine. If you reset it while driving on a motorway say and then check the average after a 50 mile run, it will show what to expect more or (probably) less.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2013, 16:45   #14
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Yep, that's him... Wayne Gerdes... I remember him boasting online about tailgating Large vehicles as often as possible, only braking in emergencies, and spending as much time as humanly possible freewheeling..

One of the other forum members had a lift with him, and said he had never been so frightened in his life!!
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2013, 20:13   #15
bassman
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE Saloon (Manual)with XPower Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Yes, you're right. If you want to know how far every tank takes you, you're doing it right. Calibrating the OBD calculation is critical to this, but the calibration only represents the sort of driving you were doing when you generated the calibration data. So, you need a calibration set for each type of driving style you contend with. It's quite likely that a calibration based entirely on driving at say 80mph using cruise control would show that every time you drive that way your consumption figure is quite amazing - compared with the figures others quote for 'average' driving. At the end of the day, it all depends on what you mean by - - -.

As a matter of broader interest, what does the OBD say about your typical running temperature?

TC
Re your last point......Ive not got round to that yet, its been on my mind for a while, as although it always runs at 9o'clock, it takes a good 5 miles to get there...I was looking to do the stat mod, but was actually going to ask you, before doing this, if the increased pressure in the thermostat opening late has ever(in your opinion) caused any radiator bursts or the like, as I am talking about a 12 year old vehicle with almost 200k on the original radiator...

Ive studdied the OBD mpg for a while now, and have seen 10mph, on pulling out of the petrol station up the bank in second gear, and the 300mpg resetting the OBD at the top of a 4 mile downhill run....but Ive also noticed the difference in revs, between 3rd 4th and 5th gears....I lost concentration yesterday while talking to passengers, and found I'd travelled a mile in 3rd gear(flat urban road) which normally I would have taken in 5th gear........the difference...about 600rpm..........now doing that constantly must have quite an adverse effect on consumption....

Today I used cruise control at 80mph, on the A1 for 12 miles, and my consumption according to the OBD......never moved......

So what was happening the other day, I dont know.

Quote:
It's the average speed over the period since the last reset. Even a short stationary period pulls average speed down considerably and it takes a lot of continuous fast driving to bring it back to where you might expect. Generally, the average indicated will always be lower than you imagine. If you reset it while driving on a motorway say and then check the average after a 50 mile run, it will show what to expect more or (probably) less.

TC
Its the same as the mpg on the OBD.........its easy to lose it by some hard revving, and takes ages to get it back....

Last edited by bassman; 24th March 2013 at 20:17..
bassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2013, 23:25   #16
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman View Post
Re your last point......Ive not got round to that yet, its been on my mind for a while, as although it always runs at 9 o'clock, it takes a good 5 miles to get there
Means very little other than it's running between 75C and 115C. Many diesels never get to 9 O'clock, ever.

Quote:
I was looking to do the stat mod, but was actually going to ask you, before doing this, if the increased pressure in the thermostat opening late has ever (in your opinion) caused any radiator bursts or the like - - -
No that's not possible (IMO).

Quote:
Ive studied the OBD mpg for a while now, and have seen 10mph, on pulling out of the petrol station up the bank in second gear, and the 300mpg on resetting the OBD at the top of a 4 mile downhill run....but Ive also noticed the difference in revs, between 3rd, 4th and 5th gears....I lost concentration yesterday while talking to passengers, and found I'd traveled a mile in 3rd gear(flat urban road) which normally I would have taken in 5th gear........the difference...about 600rpm..........now doing that constantly must have quite an adverse effect on consumption....
Fascinating stuff.

Quote:
Today I used cruise control at 80mph, on the A1 for 12 miles, and my consumption according to the OBD......never moved......
So what was happening the other day, I dont know.
Me neither .

Quote:
It's the same as the mpg on the OBD.........its easy to lose it by some hard revving, and takes ages to get it back....
As I've noted, averages are difficult to regain after a major excursion from norm.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 19:58   #17
bassman
Avid contributor

Quote:
Means very little other than it's running between 75C and 115C. Many diesels never get to 9 O'clock, ever.
TC
I'm a little apprehensive about trying this, Ive read lots you've written about this, and have it ready to print out to take to the car with me(easier than reading on the laptop), but not sure wether I've grasped the whole method yet.

Can I do any harm, or mess anything up, if I fail and have to pack in half way..

I'm not sure Ive got the co-ordination to carry the whole thing out....

Would I get the same results (and maybe more), by calling in on MarinaBrian and his magic wand and having a T4 done....

I could do with a look to see if my MAF is 100% anyway...

and If you think that the extra pressure wont affect the radiator or hoses, I'll go ahead with the stat mod, if necessary.....

Last edited by bassman; 25th March 2013 at 20:45.. Reason: added more about stat mod
Old 26th March 2013, 05:13   #18
pm77
Gets stuck in

Volvo XC70 D5 AWD Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman View Post
I'm a little apprehensive about trying this, Ive read lots you've written about this, and have it ready to print out to take to the car with me(easier than reading on the laptop), but not sure wether I've grasped the whole method yet.

Can I do any harm, or mess anything up, if I fail and have to pack in half way..

I'm not sure Ive got the co-ordination to carry the whole thing out....

Would I get the same results (and maybe more), by calling in on MarinaBrian and his magic wand and having a T4 done....

I could do with a look to see if my MAF is 100% anyway...

and If you think that the extra pressure wont affect the radiator or hoses, I'll go ahead with the stat mod, if necessary.....
If you mean reading the engine temp digitally, the worst would be resetting your trip counter.
Old 26th March 2013, 16:16   #19
bassman
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm77 View Post
If you mean reading the engine temp digitally, the worst would be resetting your trip counter.
Would a T4 show the thermostat opening temperature.........