Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th April 2013, 21:21   #1
bassman
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE Saloon (Manual)with XPower Upgrade

Default Average 60mpg over 1400miles.....

Average 60mpg over 1400 miles, on a 9 night trip to Scotland...WOW

Been away for 10 days in the Scottish Highlands....and achieved excellent mpg on my trip....I filled to the brim before leaving home...I’d had a mixed driving week prior to this fill and it worked out at around 51mpg....
On the morning of the 4th day of the holiday I filled to the brim again...it took 40.95 litres and had done 542 miles....The OBD saying I was getting 57.6mpg, with 260 miles of fuel left in the tank(total over 800 per tank)..........As usual the OBD was a bit low and the brim to brim calculation was 60.1 mpg...
On the morning of the 7th day, and after doing another 559 miles, I filled to the brim again with 42.4 litres.....this time the OBD recorded 56.7mpg with 225 miles left in the tank.(total 784 to the tank)..........again the OBD mpg was low, with it actually working out at 59.9mpg....
I filled up again (22.4 litres) when I got near home, this time it was a mere 300miles, but brim to brim it gave me was 60.8 mpg.... the OBD still only reading 57.6
The roads in the Highlands were empty, which enabled me to see the sights and cruise around in 5th gear at 40 to 55mph....I would reckon at least 90% of my journey was in 5th gear. The journeys up and back were steady with no unplanned stopping or traffic holdups.....
And for the doubters....I’ve been watching my mileage for well over a year now.....I KNOW there’s no air locks, I KNOW my method is reliable.....I’ve learnt how to drive my car (without upsetting too many people behind me....lol) and without fast acceleration, or hard braking...These are by far the best figures I’ve ever had, and hopefully my XPower upgrade is starting to pay for itself.....
bassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2013, 21:57   #2
NigelOBB
This is my second home

04 Rover 75 Contemporary SE - 53 Rover 75 Connoisseur -94 Mercedes W140 - 72 VW Beetle 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman View Post

Been away for 10 days in the Scottish Highlands....and achieved excellent mpg on my trip....I filled to the brim before leaving home...I’d had a mixed driving week prior to this fill and it worked out at around 51mpg....
On the morning of the 4th day of the holiday I filled to the brim again...it took 40.95 litres and had done 542 miles....The OBD saying I was getting 57.6mpg, with 260 miles of fuel left in the tank(total over 800 per tank)..........As usual the OBD was a bit low and the brim to brim calculation was 60.1 mpg...
On the morning of the 7th day, and after doing another 559 miles, I filled to the brim again with 42.4 litres.....this time the OBD recorded 56.7mpg with 225 miles left in the tank.(total 784 to the tank)..........again the OBD mpg was low, with it actually working out at 59.9mpg....
I filled up again (22.4 litres) when I got near home, this time it was a mere 300miles, but brim to brim it gave me was 60.8 mpg.... the OBD still only reading 57.6
The roads in the Highlands were empty, which enabled me to see the sights and cruise around in 5th gear at 40 to 55mph....I would reckon at least 90% of my journey was in 5th gear. The journeys up and back were steady with no unplanned stopping or traffic holdups.....
And for the doubters....I’ve been watching my mileage for well over a year now.....I KNOW there’s no air locks, I KNOW my method is reliable.....I’ve learnt how to drive my car (without upsetting too many people behind me....lol) and without fast acceleration, or hard braking...These are by far the best figures I’ve ever had, and hopefully my XPower upgrade is starting to pay for itself.....
Nice one we had a course at work on how to drive more efficiently.. So fully understand where you are coming from. It's just daft thing alike using brakes less not accelerating to hard etc..

Keep smiling - it makes people wonder what you've been up to.

NigelOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2013, 22:43   #3
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Every time we went to Scotland,we always got above average m.p.g.figures. I think it is as you say, less traffic. A bit like when we go to France.
Old 30th April 2013, 23:02   #4
kevin75tourer
Loves to post

75 Contempery SE Tourer in Moonshine/220 Coupe's/ 216 Coupe's 420GSI Tourer

The first journey in my CDTI back home to Cambridge from Aberdeen registered 64.1 mpg on the computer and was over 550 miles. The needle on the fuel gauge hit the half way point 510 miles into the journey.
Old 1st May 2013, 05:27   #5
NigelOBB
This is my second home

04 Rover 75 Contemporary SE - 53 Rover 75 Connoisseur -94 Mercedes W140 - 72 VW Beetle 1300

You could save 15% off your fuel costs by using these fuel efficient driving tips.

As well as saving money and fuel, fuel efficient driving will help you to drive safely and reduce wear and tear on components like tyres, clutch and gearbox.

1. Shift to a higher gear as soon as possible
Driving at lower engine speeds reduces fuel consumption. Change up between 2,000 and 2,500 rpm.
2. Anticipate road conditions and drive more smoothly
Rather than last minute braking, decelerate smoothly by easing off the accelerator as early as possible. This allows the car to decelerate using engine braking.
With the car in gear and the accelerator released, a modern car uses virtually no fuel at all. This form of braking is also gentler on the car and its occupants.
3. Maintain a steady speed in as high a gear as possible
Driving at a steady speed requires little effort for the engine. Avoiding unnecessary acceleration and heavy braking helps reduce your fuel consumption.
4. Drive a little slower
Stick to the speed limits and make your fuel go further. For most cars the most efficient speed is 45-50 mph. The faster you go above this, the more fuel you will use. Driving at 50mph rather than 70mph reduces your fuel consumption by 10% at a stroke.
5. Switch off if you're stationary for more than a minute
When stuck in traffic or waiting for someone, switch off your engine. Switching off whenever it's safe to do so can soon lead to significant savings.
6. Keep your tyres properly inflated
Under-inflated tyres not only lead to poor road holding but also cause excessive drag and resistance, increasing fuel consumption. Both over and under-inflated tyres can be dangerous to road holding, so make sure your tyres are at their recommended pressure.
7. Switch off air conditioning
Use air conditioning sparingly as your engine has to work harder to power the air conditioning machinery. If driving at low speed, open the window instead.
8. Close your windows if travelling at 50mph or more
The aerodynamic drag on your car of an open window at speeds of 50mph or more adds to your fuel usage. Keep your windows closed at high speeds.
9. Remove roof boxes and racks if not being used
Car designers try hard to make their vehicles as aerodynamic as possible. Adding a roof box or rack spoils this by increasing drag on your car, making your engine work harder and increases fuel usage.
10. Remove unnecessary items
Carrying excess weight in a vehicle increases fuel consumption. Heavy or large items, such as tool kits and golf clubs should be removed when not required.

Old 1st May 2013, 05:31   #6
NigelOBB
This is my second home

The above works to when I did the course we drove a set route in the instructors car using our normal driving style them following his. The difference was amazing.

Old 1st May 2013, 11:03   #7
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman View Post

Doubt it ???? NEVER---

Attached Images
File Type: jpg At a steady 40 mph..jpg (126.7 KB, 48 views)
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2013, 15:01   #8
bassman
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin75tourer View Post
The first journey in my CDTI back home to Cambridge from Aberdeen registered 64.1 mpg on the computer and was over 550 miles. The needle on the fuel gauge hit the half way point 510 miles into the journey.
Its a pity you didnt brim to brim it, to get a true result....My maximum at the half way point was 440......with 360 left in the tank it said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelOBB View Post
The above works to when I did the course we drove a set route in the instructors car using our normal driving style them following his. The difference was amazing.
I agree with all of the points you make....the main none obvious one, I think is...getting into 5th gear as soon as possible...I can do 30mph in 5th on a levelish road and my rpm is aound 1000, if I were in fourth gear it would be around 1400 and in third around 1800......its got to make a fantastic difference to your mpg...and its amazing how many times I still notice I could have been in a higher gear...

Last edited by bassman; 1st May 2013 at 15:09..
Old 1st May 2013, 15:06   #9
thundercat
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Club SE

Just out of curiosity, did you put any two stroke oil in with the diesel.
thundercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2013, 15:07   #10
bassman
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundercat View Post
Just out of curiosity, did you put any two stroke oil in with the diesel.
No none...no aditives