Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th June 2011, 20:55   #61
bassman
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE Saloon (Manual)with XPower Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman View Post
Thanks Steve, nice description, and yes, understand what you mean about cable ties, if the experts are using that method, its ok for me too.
After reading lots and lots I thought i understood what i am doing but unfortunately ive had too jmuch information and am baffled again...JUles helped n3m to get his going, and i tried to follow that, but found i was putting both neg and pos to the same wire....

Let me explain my situation as i t may be different to previous posts...

I have a 2001 CDT...I wasnt able to find a diesel setup, so bought a fan and control box off a petrol model...which ive tested and is working, at both speeds(before and after resistor...

Ive cut the wires from my old 3 speed motor, at the motor, ive cut the wires on the 2 speed at the control box, putting aside the petrol control box and cnnectors to loom....

I'm sorry i get mixed up with terms like switch polarity, and conect to negative etc...i know what they mean, but find it easier if it says for example...connect black from plug to black from motor, connect grey from control box to red from motor etc.....sorry to be so pedantic, but really i need an idiots guide....and photos just seem to make it worse(unless it says connect this to this etc...

so ive cut the wires from my 3 speed motor and have a black(going to connector), a red a purple and a grey...(from the control box)

the black wire on my 2 speed motor, passed through the silver resistor(to be changed soon, even tho it works) and also has another feed into it after the resistor(high speed i presume)....

Can someone(hopefully Jules) explain in language a 10 year old child would understand(ie connect black to black) how i get this darn thing to work...

On dismantling, i found someone had previously hacked at the cowling round the aircon pipes to get it off, theres no zigzag filling in between either the aircon, or the intercooler radiators,some of the bolts were rotten.the two pipes running across the front were hanging off(brackets broken) and there is a hole in the intercooler rad(which is possible i might have done, altho dont think so), but i do suffer from whooping on first start up every day...this is secondary tho....

Its the wiring thats giving me stress...

I'm quite pleased Ive managed to get the bumper, slam panel, and fan out....like my rear springs, no where near as bad as i expected...

Sorry Steve to hijack your thread

Thanks in anticipation...

Last edited by bassman; 20th June 2011 at 20:59..
bassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 21:10   #62
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

OK here goes,

The two browns that come out of the relay box both join to the black that comes from the harness plug.

The brown from the harness plug joins on to the red at the motor

The Grey from the relay box joins on to the wire going to the resistor

The Red from the relay box joins on to the remaining black wire to the motor.

The purple wire from the relay is cut off and no longer used.

open the relay box cut the thin black wire where it joins the thick black one and join the thin black wire on the pcb to the thick brown one on the relay, just above the grey.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident

Last edited by stocktake; 23rd June 2011 at 15:27..
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 21:11   #63
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

See post 44 chaps
I thought I'd covered every wire there.

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 21:18   #64
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

Thanks Dave

Just to complicate matters, I don't know why this is but some PCB's will work with the thin wires as they are in a 3 speed............some don't !!

If speeds don't switch as they should, remove the thin grey from it's terminal and join it onto blue/red. (as in post No 44)

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 22:58   #65
bassman
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
OK here goes,

The two browns that come out of the relay box both join to the black that comes from the harness plug.

The brown from the harness plug joins on to the red at the motor

The Grey from the relay box joins on to the wire going to the resistor

The Red from the relay box joins on to the remaining black wire to the motor.

The purple wire from the relay is cut off and no longer used.

No need to alter the thinner wires
Thanks for this....I will try this in the morning...... and just to clarify, this IS for a 2001 diesel,using old 3 speed control box and plugs to loom with the resistor wired in the black to the 2 speed motor....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
See post 44 chaps
I thought I'd covered every wire there.
and this....sorry, couldnt quite understand, i need an idiots guide...and also i am not using a 2 speed control box(as mentioned at top of post 44) , I am using my old 3 speed diesel box and my old3 speed diesel loom(the 2 speed control box was a petrol one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Thanks Dave

Just to complicate matters, I don't know why this is but some PCB's will work with the thin wires as they are in a 3 speed............some don't !!

If speeds don't switch as they should, remove the thin grey from it's terminal and join it onto blue/red. (as in post No 44)
and this

I should now ask...........how do i test it for both speeds, before refitting to car....

Last edited by bassman; 20th June 2011 at 23:48.. Reason: more info added/asked...after re reading earlier posts
Old 20th June 2011, 23:44   #66
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Hi Bob
If you tested it before you rewired it and it worked it should still do now, did you check out how i finally wired mine up which is now fitted and running as soon as i switch on the demist

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 21st June 2011 at 00:11..
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 00:01   #67
bassman
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Bob
If you tested it before you rewired it and it worked it should still do now, did you check out how i fanaly wired mine up which is now fitted and running as soon as i switch on the demist
I didnt Steve, because i was gettng too confused...I dont think you were doing exactly the same as what i need...I am connecting a 2 speed off a petrol engine, with the resistor on the black wire, to my old 3 speed diesel control box and diesel wiring...

re testing...Yes it should work now...thats if ive wired it up correctly....which is what i need to know before refitting

I'm not bothered about the aircon(theres no gas in it at present anyway) ...I only need it to work if it over-heats while i am towing my caravan...
Old 21st June 2011, 00:17   #68
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Hi Bob
from what i found with my control box original 3 speed it is no diffrent to the 2 speed control box i brought just the wiring is different, but as for the wiring coming from the motor how many wires come from the motor of the petrol fan

ad altiora tendo.

Old 21st June 2011, 00:37   #69
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

HI Bob
So from your motor you have a red wire and a black wire, the black wire is joined to the resistor, right now the main brown that come from your loom from plug end will eventualy go to the red wire, this is after you have sorted out the wires in the control box, take a look at this pic see the brown wire how it splits and goes to the red.

ad altiora tendo.

Old 21st June 2011, 00:37   #70
bassman
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Bob
from what i found with my control box original 3 speed it is no diffrent to the 2 speed control box i brought just the wiring is different, but as for the wiring coming from the motor how many wires come from the motor of the petrol fan
Theres only the 2, as in all 2 speed..I only stressed it was petrol, to show that i couldnt use its control box or wiring plugs...

The black wire has the resistor in it...

Thats the problem tho, the wiring is different in your set up, thats why i dont think your remedy will work for me...

Last edited by bassman; 21st June 2011 at 00:46.. Reason: added further comment