Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st June 2011, 00:45   #71
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Right then bob we need to sort out the wires in your control box in relation to the wires on your loom and also going to the resistor, give me two minutes to get to my other PC which as all the photos on, and i will bring them up because as i said i can see no difference with a two speed control box and a 3 speed control box just how the wires are laid out,

Check the link bob,
http://www.75ztcommunity.co.uk/big-d...-t3708-20.html

Or if prefer to stay here click thic link.
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=86897

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 22nd June 2011 at 23:51..
Arctic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 00:24   #72
bassman
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE Saloon (Manual)with XPower Upgrade

Default Got there in the end...

Well. we (me and Dave...(Stocktake), 90miles away on phone) finally got my fan to work on both speeds...

To recap, I was fitting a 2 speed fan, to my old 3 speed relay box...

Heres a pictire of my relay box

This was Stocktake's advice to me(i asked for an idiots guide)

(on all cuts below, make sure you leave enough wire to sit comfortably when everything is back in position)

1)Cut the black wire from the plug, after it splits into two.

2)Cut the two brown wires coming out of the relay box, they originate from a single brown from the plug

3)Join one black to one brown, and the other black to the other brown, going IN to the relay box

4)Take the brown wire from the plug and join it to the red wire from the motor

5)Take the grey wire from the control box, and join it to the black from the motor, so that it passes through the resistor

6)Take the red wie from the control box, and join it to the same black wire as above, but this time after the resistor....

7)Cut the purple and the black on the same relay and tape them up(not needed)

8)On the black terminal that has just been cut, there is a thin black wire as well, cut that black wire where it joins the thick black wire and join it to the brown on the centre rellay.

9)Finally cut the thin grey wire (leave as long as possible) and join it on to the thin blue and red wire...

I took the fan to the car and plugged it in, but although it worked on "aircon" and "trinary", both speeds were the same, both high speed...

I then changed 5 and 6 above around....I put the grey wire after the resistor, and the red wire to go through the resistor

and hey presto....both speeds working as should be, altho i dont understand why i had to change the red and grey wires round...

(This above change may not be required on all fans)

I now have the high speed from the small middle relay, and the low speed from the large relay...

It didnt quite run as easily as i have implied above, on first fitting(after stage7) i had nothing, but on shorting out the relays(one at a time) i Had both working, but at the same speed(high speed)

after stage 8, i had aircon working(but at wrong speed), but no cooling, then

sfter stage 9, i had both aircon and cooling working...but both at same speed

as i said earlier, i changed the positions of the grey and red and its working correctly on both speeds...

I tested the voltage going through the trinary switch earlier in the day...it was 10.15 volts, after getting things working, i tested it again and it was only 6.5volts....anyone know why this happens....

and can anyone tell me how to get my diesel upto the temperature where the cooling fan should kick in....(see my later post)

Thanks especially to Dave (Stocktake) for taking the time to guide me through this...

Thanks to Jules, as I think Dave used some of his wiring hints

and thanks to Steve(top mg zt) for giving me the confidence to do all this myself...

and thanks to Wullie for helping me find a fan and lots of advice, and to T-cut for his advice

Thanks also to Arctic, and n3m, who both contributed to my case, although i think there control boxes were different to mine...

Last edited by bassman; 26th June 2011 at 19:12.. Reason: added more clear info
bassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 00:45   #73
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

HI bob
Glad to see it worked out for you did you see where i replaced my control box for easy access if i need at any later date.
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=86897

Two different control boxes but relay are set out the same inside,

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 23rd May 2013 at 23:10..
Arctic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 12:05   #74
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

I have had enough of fans to last me all year now This is a diagram and instructions

REMEMBER this is for DIESEL two speed fans using diesel three speed wiring/relay box.

All work undertaken at own risk etc. etc

25th Sept 2011 NB: on TWO fans recently the Red and Grey have been reversed, if this is the case you will have two fast speeds on testing, I think by simply reversing Red and Grey in the relay box will eliminate this problem, will update later

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident

Last edited by stocktake; 25th September 2011 at 15:31..
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 20:18   #75
swinnie
Avid contributor

Alfa Romeo 156 2.4 JTD Veloce

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman View Post
can anyone tell me how to get my diesel upto the temperature where the cooling fan should kick in....
You will be lucky to get a diesel hot enough to fully open the thermostat let alone need the fan. They are known for there thermal efficency. Not had mine above 81C and that was stood running for about a hour. If you fit a new stat you might see just over 90C if pushed hard or run for long time stationary. Derek
swinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 20:49   #76
daveb57
Loves to post

Mercedes Benz E 350 Coupe Peugeot 407 SW 1.9 HDI

[QUOTE=bassman;748571]Well. we (me and Dave...(Stocktake), 90miles away on phone)

Good man Dave.

Did mine a few weeks back and was bricking it at the thought of taking the front off of the car and having to delve into the depths of the engine bay.

Having put a post on for some information, Dave was one of several who replied.

Several pm's later, Dave actually giving me the link to the fan i got from ebay and the thoughtfulness of letting me have his mobile number in case i got into trouble as he was out for the day, the job went very smoothly indeed. I was actually very surprised at how easy it was to change the fan assembly. As quoted by the man hi self, it's only nuts and bolts, which at the end of the day, was true.

Again, thank you for your help.

Regards,

Dave.
daveb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 23:02   #77
bassman
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinnie View Post
You will be lucky to get a diesel hot enough to fully open the thermostat let alone need the fan. They are known for there thermal efficency. Not had mine above 81C and that was stood running for about a hour. If you fit a new stat you might see just over 90C if pushed hard or run for long time stationary. Derek

I forgot i'd asked that question, but managed to find out today....I'd had the car at the front door all week...I had a tarpaulin over the front while i had the fan out....So today i shut the bonnet, pulled the tarpaulin up, covering the area from the ground to the slam panel, (guarding it from being sucked in if the fan went on), and started the car, I held the pedal down(with a jammed in stick) at around 2000 revs, about 3 minutes after the temp gauge reached its normal half way position, the fan came on....I wasnt sure if it was low speed or high speed, but at least i know it cuts in at some point.....although the temp gauge still didnt rise above half way....

I needed to know this, as I plan to tow my caravan with the car
Old 24th June 2011, 23:09   #78
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

On board diagnostics will tell you the exact engine temp via a read out on the dash, have a search on the forum for how to do it If you cannot find it, I will find it for you this weekend or do a walk through post for you, but for now............night night

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
Old 24th June 2011, 23:12   #79
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

*** it here you go

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...iagnostic+mode

It easier than it sounds

Old 24th June 2011, 23:14   #80
bassman
Avid contributor

[QUOTE=daveb57;749377]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman View Post
Well. we (me and Dave...(Stocktake), 90miles away on phone)

Good man Dave.

Did mine a few weeks back and was bricking it at the thought of taking the front off of the car and having to delve into the depths of the engine bay.

Having put a post on for some information, Dave was one of several who replied.

Several pm's later, Dave actually giving me the link to the fan i got from ebay and the thoughtfulness of letting me have his mobile number in case i got into trouble as he was out for the day, the job went very smoothly indeed. I was actually very surprised at how easy it was to change the fan assembly. As quoted by the man hi self, it's only nuts and bolts, which at the end of the day, was true.

Again, thank you for your help.

Regards,

Dave.
I asked for a guide that a 10 year old could understand, and i followed it easily(thanks to Dave), but still needed help when it still didnt work, I phoned Dave at various stages, and changes were made and eventually we got there. Dave even offered to call in on me, as he thought he might have been up North the next day, but he sorted it over the phone...

Brilliant.....and the job of dismantling everything, was no where as bad as i thought it would be, in fact it was quite straightforward apart from a few rusted bolts...