Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th June 2011, 10:08   #1
kissifer1972
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Conn Tourer & Rover 75 CDT Conn SE Saloon

Default Cleaning the intercooler

I am going to replace the intercooler pipework on my CDT.

Thought while I am at it I might just give the intercooler a thorough clean.

Is there a way of cleaning out it's internals to remove all of the oilly deposits? Is there a product to run through it?

Also the fins on mine are full of years/miles of crud. What is the best way of cleaning this out? Would a jet wash be too harsh?

Thanks in advance

Chris
Genuine Rover Xenons - now removed and sold
Kenlowe fan
Synergy 2
EGR Bypass
kissifer1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 11:02   #2
fifty pence

Rover 75 1.8T

I use petrol, remove the intercoler and 3/4 fill with petrol and leave for about 15 mins then shake the cooler to clean off the oil/carbon deposits then empty and leave outside for a couple of hours to vent, obviously take the usual precautions when dealing with petrol and do it outside!
fifty pence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 11:45   #3
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

A jet wash would likely destroy it

To clean out the intercooler any de-greaser can be used gunk,parrafin, etc only way to do it properly is to remove the intercooler so it can be washed out and drained completely.

Good opportunity to check the overall condition as they have a bad life down there and while it's full of de-greaser it'll show up any holes

If it does have problems then replacements aren't telephone numbers financially, as long as you don't go to Rimmers or X-part

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 22:28   #4
kissifer1972
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifty pence View Post
I use petrol, remove the intercoler and 3/4 fill with petrol and leave for about 15 mins then shake the cooler to clean off the oil/carbon deposits then empty and leave outside for a couple of hours to vent, obviously take the usual precautions when dealing with petrol and do it outside!
Cheers.

Thanks. I don't tend to have any petrol around, but I guess I could fill a can. How much does it take to 3/4 fill it? What would I do with the petrol after I've used it to flush it out?

Once again thanks

Chris
Kenlowe fan
Synergy 2
EGR Bypass
Old 25th June 2011, 22:59   #5
kissifer1972
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRuss View Post
A jet wash would likely destroy it

To clean out the intercooler any de-greaser can be used gunk,parrafin, etc only way to do it properly is to remove the intercooler so it can be washed out and drained completely.

Good opportunity to check the overall condition as they have a bad life down there and while it's full of de-greaser it'll show up any holes

If it does have problems then replacements aren't telephone numbers financially, as long as you don't go to Rimmers or X-part
Cheers Russ

Was thinking a jetwash wouldn't be a great idea but I do remember noticing how full of crud the fins were. Is it simply a case of soaking it carefully cleaning it with a stiff brush and some warm soapy water.

I probably won't get it done 'til the summer when I can have it all apart for a full day without having to worry about having to use it.

Found a company that makes an upgraded one with the connecting pipe welded on, so no leaky rings. http://www.gm-radiator.com/?page=sea...&spartno=71039 Might email them for a price, just in case.

Chris
Kenlowe fan
Synergy 2
EGR Bypass
Old 26th June 2011, 07:57   #6
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissifer1972 View Post
Cheers Russ

Was thinking a jetwash wouldn't be a great idea but I do remember noticing how full of crud the fins were. Is it simply a case of soaking it carefully cleaning it with a stiff brush and some warm soapy water.
You can get away with using a jet wash, if you do it from a distance.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 11:42   #7
fifty pence

Rover 75 1.8T

Quote:
Cheers.

Thanks. I don't tend to have any petrol around, but I guess I could fill a can. How much does it take to 3/4 fill it? What would I do with the petrol after I've used it to flush it out?

Once again thanks

Chris
I used anout 5 ltrs and find it really effective!
Chris
fifty pence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 15:17   #8
lightningmark
Gets stuck in

MG ZT CDTI +135

Found a company that makes an upgraded one with the connecting pipe welded on, so no leaky rings. http://www.gm-radiator.com/?page=sea...&spartno=71039 Might email them for a price, just in case.

Chris[/QUOTE]

how much for above?
lightningmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 15:56   #9
Trophy Blue Tourer
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T Trophy Blue CDTI

Quote:
Cheers.

Once again thanks

Chris
I used brake cleaner recently when I repaired UKmastifs intercooler !! IIRC we poured about 1ltr in and then gave it a good shaking left to right with it horizontal to do the tube at the bottom then turned it over to do the smaller tubes at the top! emptied it and repeated a second time after which the fluid came out fairly clean!! the "thinness" of the B/C also helped us spot the hairline crack in the "closed" end of the I/C as it leaked out!!

That resulted in the decision to "uncrimp" that end from the matrix so that we could inspect inside then weld the plastic with a soldering iron followed by a coat of "real steel" epoxy inside and out then a bead of "adhesive silicone" round the lip of the end tank and crimping the "tangs" back in place gave us a nice airtight repair!!

You can store the brake cleaner and the solids will settle out so it can be reused later - plus it wasnt very mucky inside the I/C anyway (really clean after the wash out as we found it pretty spotless when we got the tank off) even though the air leak had resulted in a build up of oil on the parts round the end tank bad enough to eventually drip on his drive which was the original reason for the removal and strip down!! - similar to having the "o" rings leaking but lots more of it I guess

Be aware that the intercooler has a 1 piece tube running across the lower 1/3 of the I/C ie- just that a single big hollow tube rectangular in shape and that the upper 2/3 are the return to the feed into the intake manifold and thats the section with all the small diameter tubes in like a radiator!!

I assume that the lower section has a sort of "pre cooler" effect with the final drop in temprature happening in the top section on the way back out!! I wonder if there is room for improvement/tuning here?

Quote:
Cheers Russ

I probably won't get it done 'til the summer when I can have it all apart for a full day without having to worry about having to use it.

Chris
Couldnt agree more on the jet wash the finning might be badly corroded like the A/C condensor and to a slightly lesser amount the main radiator hit it with a jet wash/strong hose pipe output or to much air blast and you might be looking to buy a new one anyway!! gentle spray with brake cleaner and an equally gentle dry off with an air gun would be my choice!

Followed the link!!

I like that idear !! if you contact them could you enquire if the are ally or steel and what the surface finish is? all so are they an up-rated unit in that they have more cooling area/effect or are they just a replacement for the standard one ?? plus a price of course!! and update us please??

Cheers!

Andy
Trophy Blue Tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 16:18   #10
bassman
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE Saloon (Manual)with XPower Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
You can get away with using a jet wash, if you do it from a distance.

about 50 yards away I would guess.....the filling in my intercooler just blew out like confetti........
bassman is offline   Reply With Quote