Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th December 2012, 01:09   #1
bassman
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE Saloon (Manual)with XPower Upgrade

Default Running without a MAF

After regularly getting 50 to 54mpg, my CDT started to miss quite a bit....after engaging the help of MarinaBrian and his magic wand, we watched as my duff MAF was missing and then over fuelling....Brian disconnected the MAF and everything was hunky dory, but I wondered what MPG I would now get....

My OBD always worked out about 10% higher than my brim to brim tests( I check it brim to brim every week...so i know its correct). My OBD was now displaying(without the MAF) around 42-44mpg.....which if 10% had to come off that is disastrous compared to my actual(brim to brim) 50-54mpg with a good MAF....

However.....I filled up again today(for the first time) after disconnecting my faulty MAF.....

I had done 403 miles and filled up(back to the brim) with 39.03 litres of BP...The OBD was displaying 44.1 mpg, but I expected les than this(as explained above)

The 403 miles on 39.03 litres works out at 10.325 miles per litre or 46.9mpg.....which I am over the moon with....and needn't rush out and buy a new MAF...

I'll continue to monitor this at every fill up.. but there doesnt seem any real urgency now in buying a new MAF....although I will keep an eye on those Bosch MAFs on ebay, just incase this useless government manages to strengthen the £ and the price drops.....
bassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 01:31   #2
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Stop frabbling Bob, get a new MAF now
Then all will be really well with your car
Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 01:34   #3
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

It is recommended that you do not drop the fuel level below a quarter tank, as it could accelerate the in tank fuel pump failure.

I never let mine (or very rarely) go below a half tank.

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 01:36   #4
bassman
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Stop frabbling Bob, get a new MAF now
Then all will be really well with your car
Brian
I will Brian.....but its not as urgent as I thought it was before my brim to brim.

Merry Christmas mate, and have a good New Year...and thanks again for sorting my problem..I love them "lazy windows"......lol
Old 27th December 2012, 01:44   #5
bassman
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragrad View Post
It is recommended that you do not drop the fuel level below a quarter tank, as it could accelerate the in tank fuel pump failure.

I never let mine go below the quarter mark, (which on mine is about 180 left in tank).

I lost an in-tank pump once, and although there was no evidence that, that was the cause, I still refuel before then...

When I refuelled today at 403 miles...it still said there was 226 miles left in the tank...but according to my brim to brim result, I think there was more than that....
Old 27th December 2012, 09:02   #6
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragrad View Post

Andrew have you had a listen to see if your ITP is still working?

Agree if you never let your tank run below a quarter full then you won't notice a failed ITP, but fail it will and it has no bearing on tank level, as all the ones I've seen the commutator has worn out.

Mike
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 10:09   #7
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

I find that if the maf is left disconnected for too long the ecu will eventually default to a pre determined map which you will see as a drop in power. Like Brian says, sort when you can then its done

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 14:20   #8
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post

Agree if you never let your tank run below a quarter full then you won't notice a failed ITP, but fail it will and it has no bearing on tank level, as all the ones I've seen the commutator has worn out.

Mike
Actually not checked recently, bit difficult on your tod

Anopther thing to try and remember to do

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 14:49   #9
hogweed
I really should get out more.......

Vauxhall Insignia CDTi; MG TF 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
I find that if the maf is left disconnected for too long the ecu will eventually default to a pre determined map which you will see as a drop in power. Like Brian says, sort when you can then its done
Absolutely. When I bought my 75, it was dead flat to drive, and the ECU had been disconnected for a year or more. I fitted a new sensor to it, and the difference was very noticeable.
hogweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 20:26   #10
bassman
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post

Mike
I thought with low level there was a chance on say turning a corner, that all the fuel could go over to the side of the tank where the pump isn't......causing it to run dry for a time......Does this running dry not have an ill effect on it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogweed View Post
Absolutely. When I bought my 75, it was dead flat to drive, and the ECU had been disconnected for a year or more. I fitted a new sensor to it, and the difference was very noticeable.
Thanks for this, theres no doubt, I have lost power, but with still getting 46mpg, the loss is quite acceptable, although I will get a Bosch MAF after the year....

Last edited by Dragrad; 30th December 2012 at 01:52.. Reason: Consecutive posts