Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 31st January 2013, 13:43   #1
clumphillian
Regular poster

Rover 75 tourer

Default Gearbox / clutch issues, as usual....

I bought my 75 knowing 3rd gear didn'twork and clutch had been replaced recently and as the eternal optimist hoped that all it needed was some love and perhaps juggling of linkages and we would be away.
Sad reallity has now dawned and I'm looking at second hand gearboxes annew master and slave.
Is there anyrhing else I need to be aware of? A very experienced old school engineer is lined up for the work.
Had an overwhelming response from breakersr us or whoever with contradictory ideas of what it should cost ...
Steep learning curve with this interweb and so called smartphone, still something to do whist waiting recovery company...
clumphillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2013, 16:56   #2
bassman
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE Saloon (Manual)with XPower Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by clumphillian View Post
I bought my 75 knowing 3rd gear didn'twork and clutch had been replaced recently and as the eternal optimist hoped that all it needed was some love and perhaps juggling of linkages and we would be away.
Sad reallity has now dawned and I'm looking at second hand gearboxes annew master and slave.
Is there anyrhing else I need to be aware of? A very experienced old school engineer is lined up for the work.
Had an overwhelming response from breakersr us or whoever with contradictory ideas of what it should cost ...
Steep learning curve with this interweb and so called smartphone, still something to do whist waiting recovery company...
So why do you think you need a new Master and Slave cylinder, are you having problems with all the gears, are you losing fluid.

Most people would automatically put a new slave in when replacing the clutch.
bassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2013, 19:58   #3
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

A bit more detail, please, would help us to help you.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2013, 21:50   #4
clumphillian
Regular poster

Rover 75 tourer

Aha, found it again...
Just in case you were interested...
The slave had been replaced with the clutch but upon inspection was clearly u/s. Fortunately the slave that came with replacement box was good. Master replaced as well.
All perfect. No need to worry about that for a few years. Now to find the plenum drain ;-)
Old 9th December 2013, 15:44   #5
clumphillian
Regular poster

Rover 75 tourer

Spoke too soon.
On way back from mot (£300 of front suspension work) clutch has failed.
Back to the garage in second gear where upon failed slave/ release bearing is suggested.
If it had happened the other way round I wouldnt have bothered with mot! :-(