Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd August 2015, 20:48   #1
gazcon
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2004 Cdti Contemporary & a 1999 V6 "jap spec"

Default Diesel oil change - missing oil

I've done a few oil changes now on my 75 diesel and the Mrs' Zt diesel. Each time I've been some way short of getting the stated full 6.75 litres to drain out.

Changed the oil on the Zt today and only a bit over 5 litres came out, which means there must still be a litre and a half still in the system somewhere.

I change the filter every time, so it's not in there! I have the car up on axel stands, which if anything I would have thought would help drain the engine... Oil level around the half way mark on the dipstick so it wasn't low to start with...

Any tips on what I'm doing wrong?
gazcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2015, 20:58   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Did you check the level on the dipstick before you removed the sump plug?

Oops just read your full post, if its only halfway, theres the answer!
Old 22nd August 2015, 21:07   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

And some stays in the oil cooler and in a hundred nooks and crannies and shallow pools. The add by volume basis is pretty variable and is really just a guide. The dipstick Min/Max is definitive even though it isn't calibrated by volume.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2015, 21:22   #4
gazcon
Avid contributor

Thanks guys.

Yes, the dipstick was at around the halfway mark before starting, so I guess that's about 0.5 litres worth, and the rest is stuck in the oil cooler etc. That makes sense.

Being a bit of an enthusiastic novice with these things, I'm always reluctant to rule out the possibility that I've done something stupid
Old 23rd August 2015, 22:38   #5
tourer
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Auto.

I always use a Pela and it always manages to suck out 6.5 ltrs, but that is from dipstick showing full as car uses none between changes. Car also on the level as it does not need to be in the air with a Pela.
tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2015, 00:28   #6
bassman
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE Saloon (Manual)with XPower Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazcon View Post
Thanks guys.

Yes, the dipstick was at around the halfway mark before starting, so I guess that's about 0.5 litres worth, and the rest is stuck in the oil cooler etc. That makes sense.

Being a bit of an enthusiastic novice with these things, I'm always reluctant to rule out the possibility that I've done something stupid

Using that working out though...you are still only removing 5.5 litres...I use an electrical suction pump, and mine always sucks out between 6.25 and 6.5 litres, and the same amount of oil should stay in the cooler and the nooks and crannies as does in yours......
bassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2015, 16:00   #7
gazcon
Avid contributor

Perhaps the Pela method is more effective at getting all the old oil out... presumably the suction pipe goes straight down the dipstick tube into the sump though, so unless there's some funny obstruction between there and the sump plug...

I always refill to half way between min and max on the dipstick, as I'm equally worried about over filling as under filling So that's 0.5 litres accounted for, but I'm still about a litre short, and can't see the oil cooler holding that much (?). Strange.

Might try dropping the car while it's draining next time and see if an extra 0.5 - 1 litres are suddenly released from somewhere.

I change the oil every 7,000 miles-ish, so it's not the end of the world. If I stuck to the recommended 15k schedule I'd have a litre or so of oil in there that had done 30k miles!

Same on both my 75 & ZT. Can anyone who drains the oil via the sump plug confirm that they get 6+ litres out?
Old 24th August 2015, 16:16   #8
gazcon
Avid contributor

OK so looking at this...

...it would seem that the dipstick pipe, and therefore the Pela suction hose, would go right to the bottom of the sump. With no need to jack the car up, would that result in getting more oil out of a level sump?

Looking at this...

...the internals of the sump are more complex than I expected, and there seems potential for trapping at least some oil there. Although as the car is jacked up from the front (on 2 axle stands for the record), and the sump plug is at the rear of the sump, I would have thought having the car raised would aid draining if anything....

I hasten to add that I have not just gone out and disassembled my sump! I'm curious about the missing oil, but not that curious!
Old 24th August 2015, 18:36   #9
first-things-first
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

+1 for the Pela type method and volume.

I got around 6.4 litres by suction and then (just out of curiosity) I got about 100 ml of dribbles from the sump plug.

All on level ground.
first-things-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2015, 21:07   #10
bassman
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE Saloon (Manual)with XPower Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazcon View Post
OK so looking at this...

...the internals of the sump are more complex than I expected, and there seems potential for trapping at least some oil there.
Yes a lot more intricate than I thought as well.....As well as trapping oil............I can now see where my suction pipe possibly got "trapped" and (after a bit of force) ended up coming out 6 inches shorter than it went in......This was 30k miles and 4 oil changes ago.....so its presence hasn't done any damage, (touch wood)...
bassman is offline   Reply With Quote