Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th June 2020, 10:14   #1
Caulkhead
Avid contributor

Rover75 Tourer

Default Parasitic Drain??

Battery didn’t seem to be holding charge, so got a new one and put it on yesterday. All seemed fine with starting and other electrics. Went for a drive about 15 miles. Tried to start car today, not enough in battery to start, although other electronic stuff still working, interior lights etc. New battery now on charge, any suggestions welcome about what caused the discharge overnight. I was sure all electrics were off and key out etc. It’s a diesel auto, so really worried that I will be stuck if this discharge happens when away from home. Thanks
Caulkhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2020, 10:55   #2
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

I've been caught out a couple of times thinking that the batteries have had it but in reality it was worn starter solenoids - now I know better.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2020, 11:01   #3
Supervinnie40
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 1.8 Club

I am actually in the proces of trying to figure why my 1.8 also has a battery problem:
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=305244
Old 4th June 2020, 12:01   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I think there are two things to check.

1. charge battery, disconnect from car, leave a "week" test with meter. If readings are poor then you can fairly well illuminate the car.

2. using amp ampmeter with the battery connected to the car put the ampmeter in line with the positive? and test for a discharge. If you get a reading above x then may be an idea to pull fuses to see whats drawing power.

Hopefully someone can tell you what x should be and if in line with positive or neutral.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2020, 14:07   #5
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Wow, I saw the subject heading and thought things were getting personal.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2020, 14:50   #6
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Is the starter motor just clicking when you try to start the car?

First thing to check is the battery voltage with a multimeter when your car refuses to start. If the voltage has dropped below 12v then something is draining the battery. If you find the voltage is fine then that would point towards the starter motor being faulty.

If you find you have a parasitic drain, here's a good guide on how to find it: https://testmeterpro.com/parasitic-d...-a-multimeter/

If you find you're drawing to many amps, it's a matter of removing 1 fuse at a time until you see a sudden drop in amps.

When I tested our TF as I thought we had a parasitic drain on that (turned out to just be the battery) we found a very small amp draw of something like 5 milliamps from memory.

Do you have the highline satnav system with the satnav drive in the boot on the right hand side? If so this is known to keep on running after switching the car off which can drain the battery.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2020, 17:34   #7
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulkhead View Post
Battery didn’t seem to be holding charge, so got a new one and put it on yesterday. All seemed fine with starting and other electrics. Went for a drive about 15 miles. Tried to start car today, not enough in battery to start, although other electronic stuff still working, interior lights etc. New battery now on charge, any suggestions welcome about what caused the discharge overnight. I was sure all electrics were off and key out etc. It’s a diesel auto, so really worried that I will be stuck if this discharge happens when away from home. Thanks
You say---battery empty---How do you know ??? Did you check it with a multi-meter or just assumed it was flat because the engine didn't start ?----
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2020, 17:44   #8
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-sta View Post
Is the starter motor just clicking when you try to start the car?

First thing to check is the battery voltage with a multimeter when your car refuses to start. If the voltage has dropped below 12v then something is draining the battery. If you find the voltage is fine then that would point towards the starter motor being faulty.

If you find you have a parasitic drain, here's a good guide on how to find it: https://testmeterpro.com/parasitic-d...-a-multimeter/

If you find you're drawing to many amps, it's a matter of removing 1 fuse at a time until you see a sudden drop in amps.

When I tested our TF as I thought we had a parasitic drain on that (turned out to just be the battery) we found a very small amp draw of something like 5 milliamps from memory.

Do you have the highline satnav system with the satnav drive in the boot on the right hand side? If so this is known to keep on running after switching the car off which can drain the battery.
Rick, the link does not seem to be working

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2020, 18:16   #9
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Rick.---Not working for me too.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2020, 19:07   #10
Atlan
Avid contributor

rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Rick.---Not working for me too.---
There you go.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Testing for Parasitic Draw.pdf (261.6 KB, 16 views)