Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th August 2015, 12:59   #1
Meath77
Regular poster

Rover 75 CDTI Connoisseur

Default Selection of lights not working

I've a selection of lights not working. I wonder if anyone knows where the problem can be, it's a fairly big amount of lights. All went at the same time.
Dash clocks don't light up. (Warning lights work fine, trip meter fine, 2nd trip meter and door/boot warning lights work fine.)
Front and side indicators on the drivers side don't work.
Passenger rear and side indicators don't work.
Brake lights don't work.
Passenger side dip doesn't work.
Drivers side head doesn't work.
Also think the rear fog doesn't work, I'm pretty sure normal rear lights work, forgot to check!
Light at the gear stick (automatic car) telling me what gear I'm in is gone too, have to rely on the one on the dash when I'm in the dark!

Front parking lights on the front is fine (forgot to check rear), interior light is fine. No work done on the car electrically recently and fuses look to be ok. When I turn on the lights, the light behind the clocks go on for a split second and the lights around the light switch on the LSM flicker.
I'm guessing it's a dodgy wire somewhere, but I'm hoping when someone sees the list of stuff they might recognise a common problem and know the fix

Last edited by Meath77; 12th February 2016 at 14:47..
Meath77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2015, 15:56   #2
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

It could be one of the 2 square fusible links in the engine fuse panel (9 and 11 from memory), that feed the light switch module.
The power is split between them, so if one blows, you don't lose everything.

Last edited by raykay; 6th August 2015 at 16:37..
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2015, 20:48   #3
Meath77
Regular poster

I checked under bonnet fuses, and the 2 link fuses, all fine. ECU bay is modded, all bone dry.
Front and back fogs work fine, rear lights are fine too.

After a bit of searching I took the LSM out of the mount, left it connected. Moved it around in case it was a wire there and turned on the ignition, turned on the lights and dash lights worked for about 5 seconds. Think i heard a clicking sound from the engine bay when they went off.
But back in the same boat now, same lights broken. Dash lights flick on for about .2 of a second when i turn the lights on, then dead!

Any ideas of what to try next? In ireland anyone who knows these cars are few and far between!
Old 12th August 2015, 21:06   #4
maxxpump
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meath77 View Post
I checked under bonnet fuses, and the 2 link fuses, all fine. ECU bay is modded, all bone dry.
Front and back fogs work fine, rear lights are fine too.

After a bit of searching I took the LSM out of the mount, left it connected. Moved it around in case it was a wire there and turned on the ignition, turned on the lights and dash lights worked for about 5 seconds. Think i heard a clicking sound from the engine bay when they went off.
But back in the same boat now, same lights broken. Dash lights flick on for about .2 of a second when i turn the lights on, then dead!

Any ideas of what to try next? In ireland anyone who knows these cars are few and far between!
Its possible you have a dodgy relay, if you heard clicking from the engine bay? It sounds like the coil in the relay is energising then failing to keep the switch closed. A new relay is only a few bob, hopefully if it is someone maybe able to point out which component you need for our cars. I hope this helps.
Old 12th August 2015, 21:30   #5
Meath77
Regular poster

The way the light flicks on for a second would make me think its a relay. Are all the relays in the underbonnet fuse box, or could it be hidden somewhere else?
Old 12th August 2015, 21:44   #6
mn757

75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur SE

Default Electrical issues

I had the same symptoms six months ago on my 75. After much help via this forum, it turned out to be a loose connection on the under bonnet fuse box. Funiily enough, it wasn't the feed that runs to the LSM as that was still receiving power.
mn757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2015, 21:50   #7
Meath77
Regular poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn757 View Post
I had the same symptoms six months ago on my 75. After much help via this forum, it turned out to be a loose connection on the under bonnet fuse box. Funiily enough, it wasn't the feed that runs to the LSM as that was still receiving power.
I'll check that out tomorrow evening, cheers.
Old 12th August 2015, 22:35   #8
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

Check for power on pin 6 of the LSM connector.
It points to a problem between the engine fuse panel, fusible link 9, the Brown/Orange cable from the connector under the panel (check for damage to the cable under the panel) to pin 6 on the LSM connector - Or a problem with the LSM.

The Brown/Orange runs direct from the fuse panel connector to the LSM connector - no relays.

Last edited by raykay; 12th August 2015 at 22:41..
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2020, 19:00   #9
Cooper-TS

Rover 75 2.0 Tourer

Hello folks,
sorry to dig out this old thread... so far I have simply had no reason to post anything because all the problems I encountered had already been dealt with here conclusively
But now I wanted to add to this topic that I encountered a similar problem, almost exactly the same with the front LH and rear RH indicator not working, as well as full beam right and dipped left and the side indicators and license plate lights.
However, I got it to work just now: the rather unsatisfactory solution was I took it off the battery for 3 hours, checked the above mentioned fuses (all OK) and wiggled the wires in the engine compartment a bit... let's see how long that lasts.
Cooper-TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2020, 18:58   #10
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

The connector on the LSM can throw up some odd thing like you have.---Easy to remove and check. A squirt of WD 40 cured mine.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote