Notices

Closed Thread

Old 7th March 2018, 11:08   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default Trade deal after Brexit

Why do we need to set up new trade deals for after Brexit? Why not leave them as they are?

I thought people voted for Brexit so we could set about making our own laws and now having laws "forced" on us.

macafee2
Old 7th March 2018, 11:49   #2
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Why do we need to set up new trade deals for after Brexit? Why not leave them as they are?

I thought people voted for Brexit so we could set about making our own laws and now having laws "forced" on us.

macafee2
Because you can’t simply cross out EU and replace it with U.K. on the existing trade deals given to us via the EU - and as a member of the EU we were forbidden to set up individual trade deals with other countries and trading nations.

So we need to “renew” or “revamp” existing arrangements as well as seize the huge advantage of being able to organise our own trade deals rather than be hamstrung to what the EU says we can do.
Old 7th March 2018, 12:04   #3
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Taxation, duties, and quotas exist which will need to be re-negotiated. We pay varied amount of duty dependent on the source of the product.
Old 7th March 2018, 12:18   #4
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

I must admit I'm bored with arguing the rights and wrongs of everything I just wish someone would come up with a plan, tell us what it is and then GET ON WITH IT!

Obviously I realise no one actually has the ********s to do that
Old 7th March 2018, 13:03   #5
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
Taxation, duties, and quotas exist which will need to be re-negotiated. We pay varied amount of duty dependent on the source of the product.
One thing that we should benefit from post Brexit is being able to source food from across the world at far lower cost than we are forced to pay now via the EU’s CAP - common agricultural policy.

The EU’s agricultural tariffs are a whopping three times higher than the EU’s overall trade tariffs.

And the EU has stubbornly refused to bring agricultural tariffs down. This is a protectionist ploy to protect inefficient EU farmers.

I don’t like Trump - but I do wonder at the hypocrisy of some within the EU who shout “unfair” over his plan to apply tariffs to steel and aluminium when they have been doing exactly this themselves in the area of agriculture.
Old 7th March 2018, 13:05   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Because you can’t simply cross out EU and replace it with U.K. on the existing trade deals given to us via the EU - and as a member of the EU we were forbidden to set up individual trade deals with other countries and trading nations.

So we need to “renew” or “revamp” existing arrangements as well as seize the huge advantage of being able to organise our own trade deals rather than be hamstrung to what the EU says we can do.
if it is to our advantage I'm all for it but this seems to be dragging on and I hate to think of the cost..
I'll admit to being ignorant of these things.
What new advantages are expected to come with Brexit?

macafee2
Old 7th March 2018, 13:29   #7
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Quote:
if it is to our advantage I'm all for it but this seems to be dragging on and I hate to think of the cost..
I'll admit to being ignorant of these things.
What new advantages are expected to come with Brexit?

macafee2
Normal people get to be poorer, almost certainly for the lifetime of everyone on here.

We get 'to take back control' - 'meet the new boss, same as the old boss' as The Who put it springs to mind - Won't Get Fooled Again indeed...

We get to forge brilliant new trade deals with 3rd world countries - as long as none of their citizens want to come and live here

Last edited by mystabe; 7th March 2018 at 13:36..
Old 7th March 2018, 13:37   #8
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:

macafee2
If you think the Brexit negotiations are about maneuvering and brinkmanship, wait till the bilateral trade negotiations start with various countries around the world e.g. China.
Old 7th March 2018, 14:13   #9
solarsailor
Posted a thing or two

75 Saloon 1.8T Club SE

I'd just like to comment on a few points already made before I give my own thoughts.

Quote:

macafee2
This is a common misconception. Any regulation is put into law by the UK government and not the EU, as Brussels has no authority to 'impose' regulations on us - or any other EU country for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
......as a member of the EU we were forbidden to set up individual trade deals with other countries and trading nations.........
That is quite simply untrue, as the UK is allowed to trade with any country it chooses. However we do have to comply with EU (as well as WTO) regulations which, to try and simplify a complex issue, means that we can't negotiate a deal with a non-EU country which is more advantageous to us than it is to the other EU member states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
I think the OP is referring to trade within the EU. Any manufacturer or producer of goods has to pay the relevant taxes to its own government (e.g. VAT and any others that apply to a business). After that the goods can be sent to all other EU countries without the need to pay any additional duties or taxation - that's the whole point of the single market.

My own thoughts on the subject:

My best understanding is that in order to retain the current trade deals we have with the other member states after the UK leaves the EU, we'd need to stay in the single market. To be part of the single market would also require remaining in the customs union and continuing to allow free movement of EU nationals, which I personally believe would be the sensible option for the UK's future prosperity.

If we don't stay in the single market once outside of the EU (44% of our export market) it's likely that tariffs under MFN (most favoured nation) rules set out by the WTO would apply, meaning our exporters would become less price competitive and lose business. Likewise, WTO tariffs would be applied to goods we import from the EU - currenty 53% of our total imports - making them more expensive. It's my belief that the combination of both would lead to soaring prices due to runaway inflation. Three of the main policies to control inflation are high interest rates, increased taxation and wage control. Anyone fancy that?

Of course there will be supporters of a 'hard' Brexit, particularly in government, who will argue that if we dump the single market we'll be free to trade with China, the USA and a host of other countries under WTO rules without having to also comply with EU legislation. What they'll fail to mention is that such deals take years to negotiate, by which time the UK economy could (and probably would) be well and truly shafted.

This vehicle was born on Wednesday June 4th 2003 @ 08:24:38
This vehicle was the 73,905th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 1,862nd 75 1.8 T Club SE to be made out of 3,980
This vehicle was the 6,856th 75 in Wedgewood Blue to be made out of 7,515 Wedgewood Blue 75s
Old 7th March 2018, 14:22   #10
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

And don't forget the USA investment £ 487 Billion a year to access the single market via the UK..

“For decades, the UK has served as a strategic gateway to the European Union for US firms and financial institutions. The primary motivation of many US companies to invest in the UK has not been to serve only the UK market but to gain access to the much bigger EU single market.” Source

Last edited by rustymotor; 7th March 2018 at 14:26..
Closed Thread