Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th March 2018, 20:19   #1
johnnyb44
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

Default Five years of ownership still enjoying my 75 :-)

Hi.
I don't post very often but I'm still an avid reader of this forum and still enjoy my 75 just as much as the day I bought it nearly five years ago.
Way back then when I was considering buying one ,it was a tale of my heart wanting one but my head was telling me no..I've always liked the retro look and the luxury feel to the interior, and that it looked like nothing else on the road. My head though was saying no. After spending weeks reading through all the scare stories of Hgf ,flooded plenum chambers and problematic and expensive clutch issues on diesels I was somewhat put off the whole idea of finding one. Even my work mates thought I was crazy to consider such a car..I would get comments like " it's an old man's car" or " Rovers are rubbish and unreliable"
In the end though I let my heart rule my head and spent an age looking for a decent 75. My budget was small and it proved quite difficult to find a decent 75 for around £1200 back then. I spent a good few weeks walking away from a car that were advertised as good condition only to see it was badly abused and tarted up for the unsuspecting punter.
Eventually though I spotted a 51 plate diesel Auto with 49k under its belt for £1500 and on its second owner.I went over to view it just a few miles from where the regular Four ashes nano meets take place.
The car was pristine and owned by an elderly lady how hung on to it for a number of years through sentimental reasons as it was her late husband's car..
After a test drive and a good look round I made an offer of £1400 and she accepted.
I was thrilled with this car and still am today. I had the "mickey" taken out of me somewhat chronic by my work mates and friends. I got the nickname " Mr Werthers" for owning one but did I care. Not one bit :-) :-)
Over the years and 70k miles I've travelled in it, it has never failed me..First turn of the key whether it's been -15 and deep snow to blistering hot days it's been totally reliable.
It's quite funny now ,but these guys now have a different attitude towards my car and now give it some credit ,as all of there euro boxes have died a death whilst mine keeps soldering on without any major issues.
I now take the "mickey" out of them and the unreliable French rubbish they buy :-).
Another thing that's amazed me with my 75 is that it's passed every mot with no advisories.
Don't get me wrong, it's had a few niggling problems over the years namely broken springs, but most of of my money has gone on preventive maintenance to keep it in good stead for the future.
I'm still in contact with the previous owner and every now and again I let her know I'm still enjoying it which "makes her day"
If you are new to this club and like me was/are somewhat put off by the horror stories about the 75/zt please don't take then as the Holy Grail of ownership. If you look after them and spent the time on preventive maintenance they will serve you well for many year's to come. If my car was now valued at £500 its barely depreciated by £200 a year. That's cheap motoring by any standards really. A new car with half the character and style would lose money hand over fist plus the interest of paying for it on the never never..
As my car is now rock bottom value there's only one way for it go and that's up, so in a few years time the depreciation will be even less.
So If your looking for a fantastic car, now is the time to buy a 75/ZT, because soon they will sadly become rare sight on our roads, and all the good ones left will start to slowly rise in price.
It will be sad day when the only ones left can only be seen at shows and not gracing our roads anymore.
All the very best all and happy motoring :-)
Old 20th March 2018, 21:13   #2
greendriver
This is my second home

MG ZTT 180 in Poseidon

Agreed with everything you say here. Especially if you have knowledgeable people around who can help you keep it on the road.
Old 20th March 2018, 21:32   #3
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts

Lovely story.

First name and forum name: Ravinder

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur SE 116 (160 remap)
Royal Blue (JFM)

This vehicle was the 50,481st 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 2,238th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,775
This vehicle was the 5,002nd 75 in Royal Blue (code: JFM) to be made out of 14,420 Royal Blue 75s
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2018, 21:37   #4
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Heartening to hear your story, Johnny. As a new owner on here, and having already fixed a few faults on my CDT not noticed at purchase, but most caused by previous ham fisted "mechanic", while I doubt if I will get the value out of mine that you have out of yours, I bought it for exactly your reasons, and love it for it's sumptuous interior, retro chrome and oval cream dials, as well as its classic, British lines. I am expecting to have to replace some suspension parts this year, and keeping my fingers crossed that the clutch will be trouble-free. Still not sure long term whether it is the rational choice (which would probably have been a Honda), but having regretted trading in my last near classic for a rational Audi, I conclude that I need a car that I can love most days, even if it lets me down occasionally. So far, it hasn't.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2018, 21:48   #5
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Here Here !! The 75 is a wonderful car, spanks the pants off other makes ...they just don't match the 75 !!
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2018, 20:14   #6
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Hi John. I remember seeing your car at the meet we had in Llangollen. Good meet by the way. I know you have had a few things go wrong, but as you say, nothing serious. Your post must give some confidence to our new members on here. I can report that my experience has been the same. Just waiting for better weather to replace the rear brake disc’s. At 97000 miles I think that is good. My experience with mot’s has been one of passing but with advisories some years. Anyone who thinks that Rover/MG cars are rubbish don’t know what they are missing. Please don’t tell them I said that. Hope to see you at a future meet, and keep on motoring.
Old 21st March 2018, 20:22   #7
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

What a heart warming tale John I've had mine for 9 years now, longer than I've owned any vehicle, longer even than any of my marriages Still look back, & still get folks walking up & chatting about it & the history of Rover/MG
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2018, 15:08   #8
m2n
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2004 Contemporary SE 2.5 Auto

Default Can't beat a 75.......

In all the years of owning numerous cars, I have NEVER had anybody approach me and comment on the car I was driving .......Until now,my Rover 75, to date within the 4 weeks of owning it I have been approached by 8 people commenting on the R75..... one even offered me more than what I paid for it, no I didn't and I am still driving it..

Even my wife has made comments on how it looks like an executive car,now that is very,very unusual for her.
The best comment came from a BMW(16 plate)driver sat behind me in the school queue, said how "graceful and elegant" the car looks... couldn't have said it better myself, gives you a warm glow of satisfaction.
She was the: 103,715th 75 to run off production line, out of 112,381
She was the: 382nd 75 2.5 V6 Contemporary SE to be made out of 686
She was the: 1,415th 75 in Firefrost Red (code CEV) to be made out of 2,089 Firefrost Red 75's
m2n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2018, 15:42   #9
robbrooks
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT,160 remap: owner since new in December 2002: Mileage: June22 143,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2n View Post
In all the years of owning numerous cars, I have NEVER had anybody approach me and comment on the car I was driving .......Until now,my Rover 75, to date within the 4 weeks of owning it I have been approached by 8 people commenting on the R75..... one even offered me more than what I paid for it, no I didn't and I am still driving it..

Even my wife has made comments on how it looks like an executive car,now that is very,very unusual for her.
The best comment came from a BMW(16 plate)driver sat behind me in the school queue, said how "graceful and elegant" the car looks... couldn't have said it better myself, gives you a warm glow of satisfaction.
Had mine for 16 years from new and still love it! Currently off the road having accident damage repaired. Its longest time off the road since 2002, but this was inflicted by my wife's driving!
robbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2018, 16:25   #10
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbrooks View Post
Had mine for 16 years from new and still love it! Currently off the road having accident damage repaired. Its longest time off the road since 2002, but this was inflicted by someone else's driving!
There, saved a marriage!

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote