Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd March 2018, 10:34   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default walking in the contryside

watching programs such as Country File and programs on Railways, Bridges, Julie Bradbury walks and moorland, I just want to walk in some of these places and enjoy the view. Real eye candy.

Just been watching a program on Bridges and some of the scenery is wonderful.

Wife and I will walk miles and spend hours out. We have Ordinance survey maps for where ever we go now, never used to. Research is done for walking before we fix a place to go to.

One place near Matlock, the term for us "do you want a coffee" means do you want to walk a couple of miles to the café?"

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2018, 10:45   #2
Freebyrd
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T

I agree, walking is the most beneficial exercise for mind and body. We are spoiled for choice in the Edinburgh area, disused railways now footpaths and the Water of Leith running through the town are well used by cyclists and walkers. We also have some terrific coastal walks. I spend a couple of weeks every year in the Lake District, 7-8 miles a day is a must do activity. I wonder why so many pay to use the gym when it's all free on the doorstep. Off out this afternoon to meet the walking group for a walk along the canal.
Old 22nd March 2018, 10:54   #3
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

I cannot think too deeply when walking, I get easily distracted by nature. Matlock has the Manifold Valley which has always been on my list of places to get to. I do some very long hikes on my own, and always am amazed that everybody acknowledges you on a walk, but my local community where I live never do.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2018, 13:01   #4
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

The benefit of walking is amazing - good for the soul, good for the body, good for the brain.

I always walked a lot with the dogs but the oldest will be 16 in June this year and the other has three legs and one eye having been a street Dog we have rescued. So one is so old he doesn’t need long walks and the other is a bit limited and likes pavement walking rather than Forest walks.

The app on my iPhone now tells me how many steps and how many miles I walk in a day.

Really useful.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2018, 13:40   #5
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
The benefit of walking is amazing - good for the soul, good for the body, good for the brain.

I always walked a lot with the dogs but the oldest will be 16 in June this year and the other has three legs and one eye having been a street Dog we have rescued. So one is so old he doesn’t need long walks and the other is a bit limited and likes pavement walking rather than Forest walks.

The app on my iPhone now tells me how many steps and how many miles I walk in a day.

Really useful.
I ran a Day Hospital in Hampstead for the over 65’s. One of the groups we offered was for exercises and a walking group. Keeping active and doing the exercises helped prevent fractures when any of them fell over at home or in the community.
Gate Keeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2018, 14:54   #6
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

I was lucky enough to be able to do a trek in the Forest of Dean on Monday; fresh snow, low undergrowth, great exercise.

Sadly todays little jaunt was a paved five and half mile "power walk" to get some spark plugs. (I didn't need to do it, but the weather was pleasant)
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2018, 17:40   #7
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

a lot of people don't like walking and even cant see the point of it

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2018, 17:58   #8
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post

macafee2
To appreciate it, you have to try it.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2018, 18:00   #9
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post

macafee2
I think part of the problem is lifestyle and health. We had friends around this evening for tennis. 2 of them were quite dumpy with desk jobs. They live a corporate life style, in their 50's and I was worried that either of them could have keeled over at any time with a heart attack. They struggled to play, not fit!

Some people have bad health or bad joints and struggle even to walk to the car. If you ever get to a meet, the order of the meet in the South east is breakfast first, a slap up meal, then stand around after chatting, drive back home, put the telly on or log into the forum and fall asleep One or two of the guys can't stand unsupported because of their big stomachs and stilt like legs, they have to lean against their car or someone else's. They might have a bad cough from smoking. I am not making a criticism, only an observation. What is the answer?

Now and again, a thread crops up on the forum offering weight loss advice, but its only half the problem. Dieting has to coincide with exercise, support and will power. Those threads die a death.

I don't go to the gym. I walk every day because I have to. We are lucky to have the land and weather for walking. 27 months ago, I had to have a bypass on my leg for an embolism, a DVT and blood clots 5 days after a long haul flight. The success of the surgery is dependant on exercise and blood thinners. I have to do it. Beside that, I get a buzz from getting out and seeing things. In London, I belong to a walking group. We get to walk the London Parks and it is a social get together. The oldest is 80 years old

Last edited by Gate Keeper; 22nd March 2018 at 18:06..
Gate Keeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2018, 18:02   #10
Coups
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

I’ll be out this weekend up here again. Glen Doll, beautiful, and free!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coups is offline   Reply With Quote