Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd August 2014, 08:37   #51
DragonFly
Loves to post

Non 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackatesme View Post
I am a young 69 yr old,2yrs ago had to get new licence as they wanted up to date photo.
Next year at 70 another new licence(more cost for us poor pensioners).
But i agree with re test as long as it won't cost me,surprising that the powers to be haven't thought of this little money earner.
No, I don't think it should cost a penny. We all already pay enough as it is without adding another cost burden onto the war-weary motorists.

I'm leaning towards it being compulsory (whenever a licence is renewed (over 70)) but free and treated as a road safety measure for the benefit of the older driver as much as anyone else. But nothing as bad as an actual driving test. I'd suggest an eyesight test (as per the driving test standard) and a drive round (maybe for 30 minutes) with an accredited driving assessor, who then has the ability (and power) to say, "crack on Sir Stirling", or "give me that licence you doddery old ***, I wouldn't trust you with a bus pass" (humour before anyone comes over all offended)

I don't, unlike some, see any reason to stop a fit & healthy person from driving no matter how old they are and as I say, I hope I'm still driving well into my older years, but we have to admit that as we get old(er) reaction times can get longer, eyesight (even when corrected) can get poorer, and even getting in and out of the car can be a bit of a challenge for some.
DragonFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2014, 09:06   #52
wuzerk
Passed Away

Rover 75 CDT 03 auto Conn. SE

Default Renewal

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsceola View Post
Applied for my second 70+ licence only last week, completed on-line Friday replacement arrived in post on Monday, no fees required, hit link above for correct Gov.UK web page.
Now that is a useful link, thanks for that. I understand that you do not get a reminder from the DVLA that your licence needs renewing when over 70 so check the expiry date. I will be 79 soon and agree that there should be compulsory eyesight tests as it is a very difficult thing for a driver to admit that they are no longer safe to drive. I have known several drivers who I would not let my wife be driven by but it is difficult tell them that even if they are family members. (My son says I drive much faster than him by the way)!

Last edited by wuzerk; 22nd August 2014 at 09:13..
wuzerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2014, 10:29   #53
DerekS
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Well guys, Ive been reading (and posting) this thread , and now the time has finally come . I think I can trump (almost) all the contributors here .
But why should I make it easy for you ?
The R100 ( not R75) made history in the summertime 3 years (to the day minus one) after my birthday . ( sings .. I remember it well !! ) .
No prizes can be given for any answers, correct or otherwise . And if you do bother to work it out, please keep it to yourself, I dont want people pointing at me .
DerekS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2014, 10:50   #54
dons1983
Gets stuck in

2005 Rover 75 and 2010 BMW 520 d

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrush View Post
Hi Tom is your grandad a member or has been of the club
No he hasn't so he doesn't really count. Was just saying he was still driving at 90 which I think was quite an achievement but no not part of the club sorry.
Old 23rd August 2014, 10:59   #55
windrush
This is my second home

December 2004 Rover 75 2ltr CDTi Connoisseur SE HL Tourer

Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons1983 View Post
No he hasn't so he doesn't really count. Was just saying he was still driving at 90 which I think was quite an achievement but no not part of the club sorry.

No problem Tom I war just wondering If he was or had been a member
Club Member No. 96 / Forum User No. 111
REGISTRATION to the club as a member FREE, FULL MEMBERSHIP is £10

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2014, 13:27   #56
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzerk View Post
Now that is a useful link, thanks for that. I understand that you do not get a reminder from the DVLA that your licence needs renewing when over 70 so check the expiry date. I will be 79 soon and agree that there should be compulsory eyesight tests as it is a very difficult thing for a driver to admit that they are no longer safe to drive. I have known several drivers who I would not let my wife be driven by but it is difficult tell them that even if they are family members. (My son says I drive much faster than him by the way)!
Not true, I received reminders on both occasions from DVLA by way of a form to complete and return/ and or to complete on-line as shown by the link. Eyesight, a declaration is required that you need/do not need glasses and are safe to drive with corrected/ uncorrected vision, at our age annual eyesight are a must and as in UK mainland is without charge, one is foolhardy not too.

Last edited by chipsceola; 23rd August 2014 at 13:30..
chipsceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2014, 15:58   #57
Telferstr
Posted a thing or two

Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross 3. 1.5 Petrol 6 Speed Manual Gearbox. Great fan of the Mk1 75 which I had 3

Well if I still had my 75 instead of the S-Type, its model number would match my age.
Now the question is, do I mean R40 or Rover 75?
There you have it, so it's up to you to decide which is which. Here's hoping you come up with 40!!!!!!
Regards to All
Telfer.

Last edited by Telferstr; 23rd August 2014 at 16:08..
Telferstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2014, 16:19   #58
wuzerk
Passed Away

Rover 75 CDT 03 auto Conn. SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsceola View Post
Not true, I received reminders on both occasions from DVLA by way of a form to complete and return/ and or to complete on-line as shown by the link. Eyesight, a declaration is required that you need/do not need glasses and are safe to drive with corrected/ uncorrected vision, at our age annual eyesight are a must and as in UK mainland is without charge, one is foolhardy not too.
Exactly, a self declaration as to good eyesight is not good enough. It should require a copy of an official eye sight test.
wuzerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2014, 20:18   #59
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackatesme View Post
I am a young 69 yr old,2yrs ago had to get new licence as they wanted up to date photo.
They, who?

I'm two years younger and still have the none photo green printed paper job.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2014, 20:30   #60
TR75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post
Well guys, Ive been reading (and posting) this thread , and now the time has finally come . I think I can trump (almost) all the contributors here .
But why should I make it easy for you ?
The R100 ( not R75) made history in the summertime 3 years (to the day minus one) after my birthday . ( sings .. I remember it well !! ) .
No prizes can be given for any answers, correct or otherwise . And if you do bother to work it out, please keep it to yourself, I dont want people pointing at me .
Not sure if I've got the right R100 here, Derek..

If I have, it means you are a December baby??