Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th July 2017, 08:45   #1
preemo
Regular poster

mg zt

Default Clutch slipped once

hi everyone while dropping my kids off at school this morning my clutch slipped big time in second gear revs shot up car didnt really move and yes the toxic burny clutch smell was evident my alarm is 4000 miles ago i had a new clutch slave and a refurbed box put in as the syncro mesh was gone on my last one im thinking crankshaft oil seal or flywheel maybe? are these common things to go? i checked the bottom of the box for any leaks and cant see any as of yet but that doesnt mean there wont be the car drives fine now no slippage at all is there anything else i could be checking that would cause the slipping?
preemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2017, 09:36   #2
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Mk1 ZT 190 - Mk2 ZS 180 - Mercedes E63 AMG S - Ford Ranger Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by preemo View Post
hi everyone while dropping my kids off at school this morning my clutch slipped big time in second gear revs shot up car didnt really move and yes the toxic burny clutch smell was evident my alarm is 4000 miles ago i had a new clutch slave and a refurbed box put in as the syncro mesh was gone on my last one im thinking crankshaft oil seal or flywheel maybe? are these common things to go? i checked the bottom of the box for any leaks and cant see any as of yet but that doesnt mean there wont be the car drives fine now no slippage at all is there anything else i could be checking that would cause the slipping?
Could have been a bit of air in the system, so when you pushed the clutch the bite point had moved.
If the clutch is not slipping now under hard accelration then i'd say its probably ok, 4k miles is nothing really.
Try a clutch bleed... i know its a random stab in the dark but i'd try that first.
TomRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2017, 19:49   #3
preemo
Regular poster

mg zt

thanks for the reply tom after driving it today iv come to the conclusion it was the roveron box packing in as its driving in its standard setup iv removed and refitted it but no change is there a place that can repair these does anyone know? the cars driving and boosting fine just lost that lovely roveron punch
Old 11th July 2017, 20:05   #4
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

With or without the RoverRon box the clutch should NOT slip.

Air in the system won't make it slip either.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2017, 08:30   #5
preemo
Regular poster

mg zt

Im guessing a leak then? its strange as soon as the clutch slipped the roveron box seemed to not work at all and was driving exactly the same when i removed it and refitted the wires i plugged it back in this morning after giving it a bit of a clean and now the box is working again its got its punch back again
Old 12th July 2017, 10:04   #6
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Slipping clutch will be due to an excessively worn or contaminated clutch centre plate. What make of slave was fitted, and were the clutch pressure/centre plates replaced at the same time ? Where did the recon box come from ? - I wonder if they replaced the oil seal behind the guide tube - this can be source of gearbox oil leaking into the bellhousing.

Flywheels and crank oil seals are not usually a problem. Really, the gearbox needs to come off to investigate properly. Might be worth checking the gear selector/cables first - if these are damaged/stretched or incorrectly fitted at the box end, you may just have failed to get the car into gear properly, hence the revs shooting up.

Pete

Last edited by EastPete; 12th July 2017 at 10:09..
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2017, 10:20   #7
preemo
Regular poster

mg zt

Il try and find the reciepts for the clutch i know its the metal red one as it was black and plastic originaly i cant see any leaks out the box yet but gear selector cables broke when clutch and box was changed and just pushed them on/over so could be that?
Old 12th July 2017, 10:24   #8
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by preemo View Post
Il try and find the reciepts for the clutch i know its the metal red one as it was black and plastic originaly i cant see any leaks out the box yet but gear selector cables broke when clutch and box was changed and just pushed them on/over so could be that?
Check the cables have not become dislodged/loose at the ball joint connectors on the selector levers at the gearbox end.

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2017, 14:30   #9
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Mk1 ZT 190 - Mk2 ZS 180 - Mercedes E63 AMG S - Ford Ranger Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
With or without the RoverRon box the clutch should NOT slip.

Air in the system won't make it slip either.---
I meant he might not have taken his foot completely off the clutch pedal.... or as above selector cables, i apologise i didnt word it very well granted!
No other explanation really, as its not slipped again according to OP.

What would you suggest being the issue?
TomRS is offline   Reply With Quote