Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th January 2019, 07:53   #11
Bullnose75
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer 2.0 V6 LPG

Came back home from Ipswich the other night,30 mile trip mainly at 70mph ish.
In diagnosis mode coolant 72 when I started engine,had used car few hours earlier,this quickly raised to 92 and stayed around 92 all the way down the A12 at 70mph ish and stayed at 92 for rest of trip along B roads to home.
Had heater set on HI both sides but it still took at least 10 miles to get proper hot air coming out of vents,takes longer after an overnight start from cold.
Passenger side vents slightly cooler than drivers side.
And from cold start yesterday coolant 12 when started. Coolant 82 after six minutes running on drive while I de iced windows,then 88 when I eventually pulled away. Even with engine coolant at 88 no heat coming through vents on short trip down the road and back.
So have bit the bullet and bought a brand new heater matrix. I know I might have been able to flush the old one to get it working better or could have bought a second hand one a lot cheaper but plan on keeping the Rover as my daily driver for many years to come so just want to do the job once and need to have the heater working properly as I use the Rover daily in all weathers.
Bullnose75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2019, 20:57   #12
Bullnose75
Avid contributor

So,fitted brand new heater matrix. Clamped off rubber heater hoses under bonnet to do this then carefully topped up new matrix through it's upper rubber hose at the join behind battery box. Old matrix had bit of debris in it but not too much. Unbolted and raised header tank and got steady stream of coolant out of bleed screw in rad hose before firing up engine. And,of course,heater still only blowing cold air through vents ! Even after watching engine coolant temp go up around the 100c mark on the diagnostic screen ! Still stone cold from vents and matrix pipes cold too ! Air lock I guess or blockage in pipe somewhere.
Had planned to drain all coolant today and refill as per MGR recommendations.
So,ran the Rover up my new 2.5 ton heavy duty plastic ramps,first time i'd used them. Well happy with them,saved getting out the trolley jack and axle stands. With engine undertray removed found easy access to bottom radiator hose where it meets rad was blocked by what looks like might be something to do with the LPG system,had coolant pipes going into it. Didn't have time to mess about moving that out of the way today to get to bottom hose so just had another go at bleeding it through the bleed screw on top hose with tank raised etc. No joy doing that again.Did briefly appear to get coolant flowing through heater matrix as both it's pipes were too hot to touch,but even then had no hot air coming out of vents ! And within minutes of that happening both heater matrix pipes were stone cold even though engine was still running at normal temperature
Will def have to drain completely and refill sometime soon,weather permitting that is.
Old 28th January 2019, 21:06   #13
Mattyboy
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon / Rover 75 Tourer / MG ZT-T+ (180)

Default Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunty View Post
Something is obviously wrong. My V6 heats up a lot quicker than my 1.8. Within 5 minutes everything is up to temperature. Check thermostat is working correctly.
My 1.8T K4 takes about 15mins on my early morning run to get heated up which is the lenght of the journey. My 2.5ltr V6 gets up to temperature in around 3mins.
Mattyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2019, 21:20   #14
Bullnose75
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyboy View Post
My 1.8T K4 takes about 15mins on my early morning run to get heated up which is the lenght of the journey. My 2.5ltr V6 gets up to temperature in around 3mins.
My KV6 was taking nearly an hour for the heater to flow hot air if I was lucky !
The V6 itself was getting up to temp nearly as quick as yours does,just the heater wasn't.
Old 9th February 2019, 18:55   #15
Bullnose75
Avid contributor

Hooray ! Got heater working as it should at last. Long story but ended up fitting new heater matrix,no improvement (old one might have been ok) then drained entire cooling system and blew through each hose etc one at a time until found oil cooler was pretty much clogged up solid,hence no flow through heater matrix and no heat from heater. New oil cooler fitted and after a few attempts got last remaining air lock out and now heater works.
Happy days