Notices

Old 29th January 2019, 10:22   #1
RoverLord
Regular poster

Rover 75

Default What is the Rover 75 for you?

Fine and distinguished gentlemen,

after drinking a cup of tea and a biscuit, let me ask you this:

What does it mean to drive a Rover 75 for you?

Sure, you could be like the masses and get yourself an Audi, Mercedes or some SUV of your choice with gazillions of helpers and gimmicks. 360 degree cam and fake engine sound, etc.

But why did you gents bought a Rover 75?

For me? It sounds weird, but I like being unique and having a free mind. Going my own way. Using tools that work out for me, while the masses are following a hype.

Here in Germany, we do have great cars. But how boring would it be to drive the same car, in the same color. I never understood that.

I also rock a BlackBerry Key2 because I love keyboards.

I started with a Peugeot 607. Connoisseurs know what kind of car that is. We can say that this is the french version of a Rover 75. leather seat, good price for a car, etc.

Then I got me a Jaguar XF. One of the best cars I have ever owned. British green color, leather, and all gimmicks with a great design. Unfortunately the engine broke.

So I needed a replacement for a reasonable price.

The Rover 75 eyed me long time ago.

It is a great car. I love buttons and the McGuyver or James Bond lifestyle in a car. I work hard so I love giving myself pleasure after work. The ride at home or to work. Those 20 minutes of tranquillity and class. While other are angry and full of stress sitting on their "latest" cars with regular seats, I love getting some heat care in my leather club seats while listening to good music and driving with my wood driving wheel. taking my time, no stress. Just me and the royal car.

It will be always like that for me. I value a nice car with luxury for such a nice price. The 2.0 CDT is just perfect for me. Sure, it is not the fastest. But it has cruise control. My lifestyle is taking time for everything. I am not in a rush.

So gentlemen, what is a Rover 75 for you?

PS: Excuse my English. I was good in English in my teens and twenties.

PPS: Pic not related. Just a mood I found on the internets

RoverLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2019, 10:45   #2
greendriver
This is my second home

MG ZTT 180 in Poseidon

Lovely car. Do you pat it when you leave it..(my guilty secret...)
Old 29th January 2019, 10:58   #3
RoverLord
Regular poster

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendriver View Post
Lovely car. Do you pat it when you leave it..(my guilty secret...)
Not yet. But every time I turn around to get a last glance. Like turning around for a hot woman. It is a brilliant car.

Pic not related. Found it also on the internets

Old 29th January 2019, 11:27   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I got my car as a tow car for towing a caravan.
Wife could not get to liking a Ford Mondeo.

With sandstone interior and walnut trim I think the car looks posh inside,
and perhaps being a bit different in the car park.

When I see an old car I do take a second look. Something about them.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2019, 11:39   #5
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

First 75 I got because it was available! Facing a hefty bill to get my Volvo through an MOT I cut my losses and bought a 75 that was on the forecourt. It was a N/A 1.8, got you there but not in a hurry, got a 1.8T ZT because at the asking price and wad of receipts for work done I'd have been stupid not to! Got the 260 because I like them and the rarity.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2019, 12:05   #6
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

For me the 75 has everything. Up there with the most stylish cars ever made.
The stunning looks, the comfort, the ride, and, of course, the sheer pleasure of driving it.
I always wanted a 75. I met Jasper in January 2015, simply couldn't resist him, notwithstanding the fact he only cost £650. In that 4 years he has grandly carried me over 44k. And he is a 1.8.

Looking at him when he has had a good Autoglym polish, I just can't take my eyes off him.
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2019, 14:37   #7
RoverLord
Regular poster

Rover 75

WOW. Pure gold here.

Let me tell you something brothers. Since my sad history of my broken Jaguar, I drove a small car from 1996. The mechanic who broke the Jaguar lent it to me. I guess he felt guilty, knowing IO must stay mobile.

I drove that small car without any comfort. No electric windows, crushed and pathetic seats, no telephone speakers, no nothing. On top, sometimes the car shut down when I switched the gear down to 1. It was dangerous. No airbag nothing. I am a good driver. But still. I always thought the other mechanic would fix my Jaguar. So I stood patiently.

But then I decided to act. I knew the Jaguar wont get fixed. So I called my lawyer to take care of things and needed a new car, for the winter.

After 9 months of starving I knew it must be a comfy car. But no mass car like everyone has.

So searched for the usual suspects. Citroen C6 (!!!), Peugeot 607 and Audi A6.

But to get good ones, is a game. Mostly you have pirates or car dealers on the phone. This was not an option for me.

So I was at the parking lot the other day. I saw a greenish Rover 75. I remembered the car from many years ago. I had in mind that the Rover was a car which was not reliable at that time.

At home I decided to kick out that mainframe and research for a Rover 75. And I saw the prices ! You get a lot of car for a small amount of money. Including history, class and design.

And I was searching at some nice models and there I made my decision. A silver Rover 75 2.0 CDT from 06.2001. It looks like brand-new. The owner always put it in his garage.

When I bought it I drove it home. I remember it was snowy and I was stressed since I had a hard day. Couldn't believe my "misery" with the small car will find an end. I took the train to get from A to B, paid the guy and drove home.

I couldn't believe it! It was evening. I sat inside and was shocked. The red light inside, the leather seats were new. I closed the door. I heard nothing. Put my Google Maps on the phone and drove home.

It started to snow. But no problem for the Rover. The next morning I registered it with no problems. Insurance etc, all good.

Just need to fix the code for the Radio (which still says wait) and all is good.
Old 29th January 2019, 14:42   #8
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverLord View Post
WOW. Pure gold here.

Let me tell you something brothers. Since my sad history of my broken Jaguar, I drove a small car from 1996. The mechanic who broke the Jaguar lent it to me. I guess he felt guilty, knowing IO must stay mobile.

I drove that small car without any comfort. No electric windows, crushed and pathetic seats, no telephone speakers, no nothing. On top, sometimes the car shut down when I switched the gear down to 1. It was dangerous. No airbag nothing. I am a good driver. But still. I always thought the other mechanic would fix my Jaguar. So I stood patiently.

But then I decided to act. I knew the Jaguar wont get fixed. So I called my lawyer to take care of things and needed a new car, for the winter.

After 9 months of starving I knew it must be a comfy car. But no mass car like everyone has.

So searched for the usual suspects. Citroen C6 (!!!), Peugeot 607 and Audi A6.

But to get good ones, is a game. Mostly you have pirates or car dealers on the phone. This was not an option for me.

So I was at the parking lot the other day. I saw a greenish Rover 75. I remembered the car from many years ago. I had in mind that the Rover was a car which was not reliable at that time.

At home I decided to kick out that mainframe and research for a Rover 75. And I saw the prices ! You get a lot of car for a small amount of money. Including history, class and design.

And I was searching at some nice models and there I made my decision. A silver Rover 75 2.0 CDT from 06.2001. It looks like brand-new. The owner always put it in his garage.

When I bought it I drove it home. I remember it was snowy and I was stressed since I had a hard day. Couldn't believe my "misery" with the small car will find an end. I took the train to get from A to B, paid the guy and drove home.

I couldn't believe it! It was evening. I sat inside and was shocked. The red light inside, the leather seats were new. I closed the door. I heard nothing. Put my Google Maps on the phone and drove home.

It started to snow. But no problem for the Rover. The next morning I registered it with no problems. Insurance etc, all good.

Just need to fix the code for the Radio (which still says wait) and all is good.
The diesel engine is a good solid lump, not prone to breaking down.
Comfy, very much so

Glad to hear you are a happy owner. If you need it, lots of help on this forum so don't be scared to ask.

good luck with ownership

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2019, 15:28   #9
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

I bought a 75 cdt,as I liked the look of it, then checked out the towing capacity, as I tow a caravan, and finally it had good reviews.
Then I joined this club, which led me to buying a second 75.:
Old 29th January 2019, 15:51   #10
Mattyboy
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon / Rover 75 Tourer / MG ZT-T+ (180)

Default My Rover 75 image

I wanted a car with old fashioned styling cues like chrome accents & vivid colours beyond the bland silver, black, normally available, but on a modern car with modern handling & comforts.

I wanted lots of creature comforts like air conditioning, leather & cup holders. I also wanted a four door saloon.

I wanted a car that was attractive without being flashy & I wanted something that was underrated in the public perception. Rover carried a bad name in the United Kingdom but the 75 was its last swan song & had the best of British design & German engineering.

I needed a car that was likely to have been cared for by demographic with money to spend on maintenance & these tended to have had the elderly gentlemen keepers but was also an affordable purchase price.

I was looking for a British equivalent to Buick or Mercury. Something that was never in the Cadillac or Lincoln category but with top specification could be just as nice. "Poor man's Jag" or "Baby Bentley" labels heightened my interest.

I remembered these launching & being compared to Jaguar S-Type. I recalled vaguely preferring the Rover 75 especially the interior styling with warm coloured gauge dials, piped leather & wood dash.

I came from a Ford family that despised the Rover brand, & drove a lovely Mondeo Ghia X but I found it somewhat bland. I considered a VW Phaeton because it was similar in market positioning to the a top spec Mondeo/75 & wasn't yet another Mercedes or BMW. I purchased a local Rover 75 as an experiential toy & fell in love. It drove smoothly, was comfortable & won over my family with plaudits. I sold my Ford & purchased a 2nd Rover 75 with even higher specification & they liked that one even more.

For the foreseeable future I will drive only 75's, maintaining these as long as possible & saving one from scrappage for conversion to electric power when the price is right. In short they are perfect for me.

https://ibb.co/ZfD23tg & here they are together, colours complimenting each other.

Last edited by Mattyboy; 29th January 2019 at 16:00.. Reason: Addition of image.
Mattyboy is offline   Reply With Quote