Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th September 2021, 15:48   #11
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

recipes I use have weights in pints and ounces.
Personally I never saw the need to change and i think it would be quite expensive and confusing to go back to lbs and ounces so disappointingly but practically we probably should stay metric where we are

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2021, 16:59   #12
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

I am 5ft 9 inches tall, I weigh 12 stone, I live 2 miles from the nearest town and my car does mpg.

I have no idea how tall I am in Metric, how much I weigh, how far it is or how many litre you would need to travel a mile or what ever complicated calculation the foreigners use.

I go into the Butcher and ask for a pound of mince or a 9 ounce steak, Eggs still come in half dozens.

I was watching something the other night on TV. Apparently the French tried to metricise time. There are still samples of these metric clocks.

I have to admit small measurements are easier in metric, I know how big 5mm is but I have no idea what 3/16 of an inch is.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2021, 09:09   #13
mbev51
Banned

Removed

IMO, we need a standard system of measurement, weights etc, that everyone knows to adhere to. This can then be embedded into the national curriculum. Anything else leads to a chaotic situation. If the majority want to go back on time and establish the full imperial system, that’s fine. Children will have a more difficult time learning mathematics but that may not be a bad thing. I would think that the government would not wish to fully go back to the imperial system rather just to allow more or less the current system to continue with some relaxation of requirements. I remember learning my 14 and 16 times table.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2021, 09:34   #14
Gremlin

MG ZTT

Or we could use binary

Or we could look at why our ancestors uses 12 as a base?

The reason is Pythagorean. And the fact that our numbering system is based upon counting right angles

If you draw one right angle it represented one in a way anybody could understand. Add another line and you get a zig zag that easily morphed into a 2

Add yet another line and you get a recognisable 3

Four was depicted by a cross.

Eight was an easy two squares one on top of the other.

Nine was the above with a tail added.

The in between numbers varied a bit but the premise was always count the right angles. Hence a zero. Nought has no angles an so = nothing.

But why use base 12?

A ruler had 12 inches - and so made it easy to make a right angled triangle 3”, 4”, and 5”. Total 12”. Make a triangle of those three lengths and you always have a right angle.

So, want to build a wall? Then such a device helps set the floor level and the wall vertical.

History has some interesting facts to teach us
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2021, 10:01   #15
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I still use MPG

So where is the problem?

And I did object to the EU making use of lbs on oz illegal. What the heck was the point? Use both.

We still use Miles as a distance of measurement.

I will be pleased to see lbs and oz’s back again.

Mind you - I still weigh myself in Stones and lbs and have always done so. Does that mean I have been breaking the law?

It will be nice to weigh my nuts in lbs.
Lol. As to breaking the law...I did feel sorry for this chap.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/uk...m_medium=email
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2021, 10:26   #16
Gremlin

MG ZTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
Lol. As to breaking the law...I did feel sorry for this chap.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/uk...m_medium=email
Yes - fancy getting a prison sentence,albeit suspended, for selling produce in lbs and oz? And of course the article does mention that we should soon be able to have a pint with a Crown on the glass depicting a pint!
Old 19th September 2021, 12:38   #17
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

I think it will be popular with many people in everyday life, and there is no suggestion it will be applied in industry generally. I always considered the Imperial system had more connection to human beings in general as opposed to the metric. In "metric" lands the population will sometimes adapt the measures to those more relevant to their needs. Chris S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2021, 14:05   #18
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
IMO, we need a standard system of measurement, weights etc, that everyone knows to adhere to. This can then be embedded into the national curriculum.
There is and it is (or at least it was 20+ years ago lol). Metric is the standard, schools taught the metric system, with additional imperial teaching.

----‐-------------

Imperial is still used of course for certain situations, why I do not know, safety perhaps as most knew at the time what a mph was (whereas kph could have been dangerous to the great unwashed in 1971? Not to.mention the costs).

Comfort and financial ruin, as again the great unwashed may have struggled with 1lbs of tomatoes against 1kg,therefore causing financial ruin.

Then you have 36 A, B, C, D, DD etc. How is a woman, the gentle soul that she is, supposed to get the time to work out her cup size if the formula is in inches! Then to the greengrocer to buy 1lb (and not 1kg) of potatoes for her mans dinner, where its recipe required 5fl oz (and not 5ml) of stock for his gravy.

The only reason the man got home after his woman, avoiding her getting a talking to, was because he was stuck at the station. Along with many others arguing and trying to work out if his train ticket was now more expensive with the 10 pence piece he was handed back in his change.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2021, 15:05   #19
Gremlin

MG ZTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
There is and it is (or at least it was 20+ years ago lol). Metric is the standard, schools taught the metric system, with additional imperial teaching.

----‐-------------

Imperial is still used of course for certain situations, why I do not know, safety perhaps as most knew at the time what a mph was (whereas kph could have been dangerous to the great unwashed in 1971? Not to.mention the costs).

Comfort and financial ruin, as again the great unwashed may have struggled with 1lbs of tomatoes against 1kg,therefore causing financial ruin.

Then you have 36 A, B, C, D, DD etc. How is a woman, the gentle soul that she is, supposed to get the time to work out her cup size if the formula is in inches! Then to the greengrocer to buy 1lb (and not 1kg) of potatoes for her mans dinner, where its recipe required 5fl oz (and not 5ml) of stock for his gravy.

The only reason the man got home after his woman, avoiding her getting a talking to, was because he was stuck at the station. Along with many others arguing and trying to work out if his train ticket was now more expensive with the 10 pence piece he was handed back in his change.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk
I remember being asked by a colleague if bra’s came in hat sizes as he wanted to buy his wife a nice one but didn’t know her size. However he estimated that each one would fit, one a time, into his hat which was 6 and 7/8th.
Old 19th September 2021, 15:50   #20
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Ha! Was it 3 Groats to a shilling? On the flip side of gallons I'll be able to say it costs 3 Groats/kWh to charge my MG ZS ev on the cheap overnight rate

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote