Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd October 2021, 17:26   #21
shasbat3
Gets stuck in

Jaguar S type.

Default Elctric handbrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
Who ever thought this was a good idea? He needs shooting and hanging.

I helped a friend with his car today with such a device. When you switch the car off the handbrake is automatically applied and this is the problem. You switch it off and you either are lucky enough to have an electronic device to put the handbrake in service mode and wind the pistons back or while it is running unplug the motors so the car cant put the brake on.

The first way is the preferable but not every one knows some one who has one of these devices and the second way can bring up a fault code that can only be cleared by the above tool.

You would presume if it was winding back the pistons electrically it would do the job properly, oh no you still need a piston wind back tool and because the motor is in the system was a complete mare and took a lot of patience, no wonder the dealer reckoned it was a 3 hour job and they have done it many times before.

If I was buying a newer car and there was a switch instead of a lever I would seriously consider my options as the car I did today had only covered 20k miles from new so this is going to be an ongoing job.

The more I see new cars the less I like them.
The answer is to press and hold the park brake button down and then switch the engine off. Make sure the car can’t roll away though.
shasbat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2021, 19:13   #22
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

its rather strange to look back as to how cars and its culture has changed over the years.
When cars became a affordable mode of transport with mass production in the 1930s car clubs started up all over the place with society viewing new mobility and freedom as a social event and social status.
Everyone wanted one so they could be mobile.
Then as time went on, alot of those clubs became more enthusiast clubs, restoring cars etc.
These days cars are viewed as a consumer able item by part of society and now we are seeing a generation who dont even see the need to own a car as they can get mobility by other means and dont have a great desire to drive.
A changing world !!!
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2021, 20:27   #23
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasbat3 View Post
The answer is to press and hold the park brake button down and then switch the engine off. Make sure the car can’t roll away though.
Sadly that wont work on this car, as soon as you switch the ignition off the handbrake goes on. We tried several ways but all the ''tricks'' that were suggested failed.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2021, 09:15   #24
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
Sadly that wont work on this car, as soon as you switch the ignition off the handbrake goes on. We tried several ways but all the ''tricks'' that were suggested failed.
Reading that it reminds me of park mode in my old renault 5 wipers. Switch the car off, and the wipers returned to the off position, it had it's own dedicated fuse for this, as it was a permanent live, whereas the wiper switch/stalk had a separate fuse on a switched circuit. Perhaps the handbrake has a similar separate 'park' function fuse and switched fuse (ie with ignition on) also? Removal of switched one would disable its 'live' operation, whilst switching off the car would still operate the handbrake.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 4th October 2021 at 09:20..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2021, 10:15   #25
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

Th reason i like th electric hand brake;

It works...

Th reason i dont;

is when i opened th door whilst going over a large hump to check for ground clearance it came on whilst i was moving (shock) Also if i dont dry my wifes hand brake after a jet wash they stick on th next day or so. After a jet wash i descend a long hill with it on thus drying it out. Perfect.