Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th October 2021, 19:19   #1
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts
Default Off the shelf 1.8T SS exhaust system.

Have any 1.8 Turbo owners bought one of THESE? The company have excellent feedback,and a fit and forget SS free flowing exhaust appeals to me.

BUT,I also like the relative quietness of the OE system.MIJ state that most of the baffles have been removed from the silencers,so I have a couple of questions for any members who have fitted one of their systems.

1/ Is it unbearably louder than the OE system.

2/Does the car feel noticeably more eager performance wise.

Thanks.

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2021, 16:01   #2
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Lightbulb

Ok no takers

So has anyone fitted a free flowing exhaust? If so what difference did it make to noise levels and was a there noticeable improvement in performance?

The exhaust companies would have you believe it can free up another 10-15 hp.

Old 31st October 2021, 16:17   #3
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza View Post
Ok no takers

So has anyone fitted a free flowing exhaust? If so what difference did it make to noise levels and was a there noticeable improvement in performance?

The exhaust companies would have you believe it can free up another 10-15 hp.
Last week I had a cat back stainless exhaust. I wasnt looking extra power or noise. It is a diesel and is noisy anyway. However, from the back, the blowing back box did have a nice bubble to it, but it would only get worse lol.

It was fitted at a local poweflow dealer, and my only input was choosing the twin tail pipes, and having it as quiet as original. I always was on the assumption, stainless exhausts (in general) were free flowing, so didnt ask for any potential gain.

After fitment, there is a slight bubble at the rear (go down the side, and the clatter of the diesel over comes this). It actually by happy accident sounds just as I would have requested, if I was to have asked.

As for driving, I have always been sceptical of those saying after fitting a custom fit exhaust with off the shelf components, saying it is faster etc. I dont think it is any faster, however, it does feel a little more eager. I cannot put my finger on it. The closest I can describe it is, after an excessively big meal, and undoing the button or your belt, you feel a little more comfortable, and that is how the car feels. You are no bigger really, but it just feels more relaxed and comfortable lol.

Was it worth the money? Yes definitely, I needed a back box, and may as well get a full exhaust. I have a 'comfortably breathing' car and an exhaust that should outlive both me and the car. The cost of a full exhaust would probably have been half the price, but I likely would have to replace in 5 years again, so overall it was worth the outlay to me - besides, it is a selling point if I was ever to choose to sell it.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2021, 16:52   #4
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
Last week I had a cat back stainless exhaust. I wasnt looking extra power or noise. It is a diesel and is noisy anyway. However, from the back, the blowing back box did have a nice bubble to it, but it would only get worse lol.

It was fitted at a local poweflow dealer, and my only input was choosing the twin tail pipes, and having it as quiet as original. I always was on the assumption, stainless exhausts (in general) were free flowing, so didnt ask for any potential gain.

After fitment, there is a slight bubble at the rear (go down the side, and the clatter of the diesel over comes this). It actually by happy accident sounds just as I would have requested, if I was to have asked.

As for driving, I have always been sceptical of those saying after fitting a custom fit exhaust with off the shelf components, saying it is faster etc. I dont think it is any faster, however, it does feel a little more eager. I cannot put my finger on it. The closest I can describe it is, after an excessively big meal, and undoing the button or your belt, you feel a little more comfortable, and that is how the car feels. You are no bigger really, but it just feels more relaxed and comfortable lol.

Was it worth the money? Yes definitely, I needed a back box, and may as well get a full exhaust. I have a 'comfortably breathing' car and an exhaust that should outlive both me and the car. The cost of a full exhaust would probably have been half the price, but I likely would have to replace in 5 years again, so overall it was worth the outlay to me - besides, it is a selling point if I was ever to choose to sell it.

Thank you for that.You mentioned you were looking for OE quietness with the replacement so I assume it was built with a similar baffle arrangement to your original.The system I highlighted in the OP has had most of the baffles removed so it's safe to assume it will be markedly louder.The question is by how much.Allowing the gasses to exit more quickly has to help the power output which I would welcome,but not at the expense of 200 mile trip along the motorway with a wasp in each ear

And like you,I would like to be able to forget about future replacements.

Old 31st October 2021, 19:10   #5
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Thank you for that.You mentioned you were looking for OE quietness with the replacement so I assume it was built with a similar baffle arrangement to your original.The system I highlighted in the OP has had most of the baffles removed so it's safe to assume it will be markedly louder.The question is by how much.Allowing the gasses to exit more quickly has to help the power output which I would welcome,but not at the expense of 200 mile trip along the motorway with a wasp in each ear

And like you,I would like to be able to forget about future replacements.
To be honest I do not know what is inside the silencers. I had assumed (again) them.to be perforated straight pipes passing through sound deadening wadding.

Cruising and general driving it is as quiet as oem. Accelerating (hard) it is slightly louder, but not by much, and not unpleasant.

The one thing I was dreading was motorway cruising, for fear of drone, but there was none (I think this is more commonly caused by fitment issues rather than the exhaust itself - eg touching the chassis, or the exhaust blowing into the rear bumper).

Are there no power flow or similar custom.exhaust garages in your area? It may be worth contacting them and speaking with them with your requirements. My exhaust worked out to be 425 fitted, so not a massive amount over the ebay one after postage.

Last edited by clf; 31st October 2021 at 19:14..
Old 31st October 2021, 20:38   #6
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
Are there no power flow or similar custom.exhaust garages in your area? It may be worth contacting them and speaking with them with your requirements. My exhaust worked out to be 425 fitted, so not a massive amount over the ebay one after postage.
I've exchanged emails with Jason a manager with Longlife and he was keen to promote the benefits of a free flowing system such as better responsiveness,increased hp and torque.He was less committal about noise increase which I suppose is understandable as it is subjective.I guess I will have bite the bullet and and try it and be prepared to change things if I can't live with the din

Longlife (Leeds) built the SS system on my 45 and it has never given any issues.I mentioned a free flowing system for the 75 and they quoted me £600 including a sports cat.Might consider that because of it's lifetime guarantee.

Last edited by VVC-Geeza; 31st October 2021 at 20:55.. Reason: More info
Old 31st October 2021, 21:07   #7
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
I've exchanged emails with Jason a manager with Longlife and he was keen to promote the benefits of a free flowing system such as better responsiveness,increased hp and torque.He was less committal about noise increase which I suppose is understandable as it is subjective.I guess I will have bite the bullet and and try it and be prepared to change things if I can't live with the din
The first thing to have in the back of your mind, is any none standard exhaust will almost certainly be louder than oem. By how much, will depend on the material and its build quality.

Ultimately it will come down to how willing you would be to live with it. Explain that you want it as quiet as it is now, whilst being prepared for a slight increase in noise.