Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 26th November 2021, 09:11   #21
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default Country of manufacture

For my X-Part order, all parts were supplied in MG Rover labelled bags except where stated otherwise.

LLH 102660 Breather hose, made in GB.

LKJ 100992 Inlet manifold gasket, made in India (for Land Rover KV6?).

CDU 3858 'O' ring, made in Spain.

FS 106127 Screw, made in UK (Austin Rover label ).

I expect that there will be particular excitement about the screws which I hope Ian will consider both "genuine" and "OEM".

Simon
Old 26th November 2021, 10:11   #22
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

FS 106127 screw is probably the only part that is “genuine/OEM” - Ian is not the only one who is sceptical about Xpart and their quality control department. I honestly have more faith in DMGRS’ products whether they be branded Genuine/OEM/Xpart or not. What would you rather fit to your car, DMGRS’ own brand of upper arms or Xpart ones?

I see an Xpart ad under the banner, but didn’t we once have an Xpart poster who replied to our questions? Answers, feedback, I feel would be more productive advertising than the current ad.

Curious about your possible LandRover inlet gaskets, shouldn’t they have the suffix L? Are they the charcoal/red ones or the green type and if the charcoal ones why did you choose them?

Keep well
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2021, 10:49   #23
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
.............. I honestly have more faith in DMGRS’ products whether they be branded Genuine/OEM/Xpart or not.

What would you rather fit to your car, DMGRS’ own brand of upper arms or Xpart ones?

Keep well

Just to reiterate, Simon offered in his opening post an additional choice in the form of X-part direct. He did not advise whether a person should use one source or another. It is for each person to decide the source of their parts - you evidently have!

As for your question in the final sentence, In my case, Xpart and did exactly that.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2021, 10:53   #24
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
FS 106127 screw is probably the only part that is “genuine/OEM” - Ian is not the only one who is sceptical about Xpart and their quality control department. I honestly have more faith in DMGRS’ products whether they be branded Genuine/OEM/Xpart or not. What would you rather fit to your car, DMGRS’ own brand of upper arms or Xpart ones?

I see an Xpart ad under the banner, but didn’t we once have an Xpart poster who replied to our questions? Answers, feedback, I feel would be more productive advertising than the current ad.

Curious about your possible LandRover inlet gaskets, shouldn’t they have the suffix L? Are they the charcoal/red ones or the green type and if the charcoal ones why did you choose them?

Keep well
This is the privilege or pleasure (?) of having dmgrs as a member. He/(they now) are relatively active members and I believe mat started off and still is an owner, (as Scott is also). They have personal experience and understanding of the issues we face. Also from what I can gather, they have pride and integrity in their business and products.

The 'counter staff' of an xpart reseller is unlikely to have this experience or interest. Nor will they have ability to do something constructive if something goes wrong. This is something we are lucky to have, as a faceless corporation such as xpart care more of their bottom line than the quality of parts supplied.

After the pedal rubber wear (holed within a year - less than 9k miles), personally I would be concerned and watchful of an Indian made inlet seal which i assume is made from some form of plastic/rubber material.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2021, 11:13   #25
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Just to reiterate, Simon offered in his opening post an additional choice in the form of X-part direct. He did not advise whether a person should use one source or another. It is for each person to decide the source of their parts - you evidently have!

As for your question in the final sentence, In my case, Xpart and did exactly that.
Just to reiterate. Yes, thank you heard it first time.

And you found no problems fitting the Xpart arms, or did you have to trim the isolator to get it to fit properly? I would rather use a product that is a replica of the OEM ones, with the welding done in the right place and which pass the Mr. Kipling test. And please confirm, in answer to the wording of my question, you fitted these yourself?
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2021, 11:17   #26
SD1too

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
... personally I would be concerned and watchful of an Indian made inlet seal which i assume is made from some form of plastic/rubber material.
I'm pleased to say that it isn't Alan. It looks exactly like the inlet manifold gasket which I used to buy from an MG Rover dealer's parts department years ago (green with blue sealant).
Quote:
Curious about your possible LandRover inlet gaskets, shouldn’t they have the suffix L?
Hi Mike,

I was speculating without any factual foundation whatsoever that the inlet manifold gaskets supplied by X-Part for MGR vehicles are made in India because they are also used in Land Rover factories owned by Tata. If I'm right, the same part sold by Land Rover may well have an 'L' suffix.
Quote:
Just to reiterate, Simon offered in his opening post an additional choice in the form of X-part direct. He did not advise whether a person should use one source or another. It is for each person to decide the source of their parts ...
That's absolutely correct Maninder. Looking back over the decades that I have been doing my own repairs and maintenance, I have seen unsatisfactory car parts from every quarter from eBay to "genuine OEM". On this basis I wouldn't exclusively praise any one supplier over another and that isn't the purpose of this thread as Maninder has stressed.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 26th November 2021 at 11:19..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2021, 12:21   #27
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Hi Simon,
Why do I make a big thing? For me it is about honesty, about the buyer getting what they paid for. If Rover made the part at Cowley or Longbridge that is genuine, if Simon Engineering made the part in "2005" and shipped it to Rover that is genuine. If Simon engineering made the parts in 2005 nd shipped to Rover but made this part in 2020, that is OEM but if Simon Engineering never existed until 2020 in any shape or form and made the part in 2020 then that is pattern.

There are complaints about pattern parts but what about parts made in 2020 by a company that never supplied Rover but box it up in a Rover box so we think it is genuine, we will then complain about genuine parts. Genuine parts cost more 9 times out of 10.

I now ask you, would you be happy buying a part described as genuine but made in 2020 by a company that never supplied Rover?
My question is not about quality, about genuine believing it to be genuine.

Anyone that thinks it is ok, ask a woman if they are happy to pay top dollar for a Radley handbag only to find out it is a "Turkish" knock off?

macafee2
This is rather educational: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL031aSTSuI
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2021, 12:31   #28
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
........... And please confirm, in answer to the wording of my question, you fitted these yourself?

I did not fit the arms myself. I have a choice between three professionals - one local garage and two well known MGR experts on forums. However, I am not just a purchaser of services, I usually spend time discussing a job even with my garage mechanic before it is started and after it is completed. This often extends to 30 to 60 minutes pre and post the work. Similarly, I use Sandy Motors of Bedford (including ecp2004 on ebay) or Rimmers for 99% of my parts requirements. Neither of them are 'faceless counters sales people'. This works well for me and I often state on the forum that I never have issues with premature parts failures.

I feel that working with trusted experts who work on our cars regularly actually gives a car far better care than DIY in most cases.

As far Indian or Chinese made parts and their quality, it all comes down to the specification. They are capable of making whatever a wholesaler requires, to the specified quality. It is all a question of quality vs cost. Same applies to goods made in the UK.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2021, 20:37   #29
SD1too

Quote:
As far Indian or Chinese made parts and their quality, it all comes down to the specification. They are capable of making whatever a wholesaler requires, to the specified quality. It is all a question of quality vs cost. Same applies to goods made in the UK.

My Ctek smart charger is sold by a Swedish company but it's made in China. You could not fault the manufacturing quality.

Also the KV6 thermostat housing modified by China to have three supporting legs is far superior to the original "genuine" MGR item.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 26th November 2021 at 20:41..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2021, 21:03   #30
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by polinsteve View Post
seen it. How well do the pads work?
shocking

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote