Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th October 2021, 22:59   #1
Pistons_and_processors
Regular poster

MG ZT-T

Default Best bodge

Not sure if there’s been a similar thread before but might be worth a laugh otherwise we’re cry!
As no doubt our cars have gone through a few hands by now what’s the best bodge job you’ve came across?!
As a starter I went to change my headlight bulbs today for the new Osram night breaker 200’s (bulb type irrelevant but thought I’d mention it!) and found the OSF Bulb held in by blutac! The metal clip was missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19th October 2021, 05:52   #2
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

Many moons ago I used to buy and sell lots of Rover 200s and 400s about J reg to W reg and the majority of them had failing window mechanisms. You would put the window down and it would fall off the runner of come out of the frame on the way up. A decent piece of wood to wedge the window up and inner case back on with the switch disconnected was what I always found when "investigating" the fault! No good if you use drive throughs tho!
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2021, 06:25   #3
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Back in the 60's I bought a car at auction which only braked on three wheels! The brake pipe to the fourth wheel had rusted through and burst, so the previous owner had cut the pipe, bent it back over itself in a neat fold and nipped it up with a pair of mole grips to get him home! I got in touch after getting the name from the (green) log book. He then told me that the braking system had been topped up with tonic water as they didn't have any brake fluid!!! He had scrapped the car and was unaware that it had been sent to auction! I cut the car up myself after that! I did get a good engine, gearbox and a set of tyres out of it.
Old 19th October 2021, 07:32   #4
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Two bits of foam held in by an elastic band to replace a non existent front arm bush.

I will not mention the members name but the bodge did stop the clonking while he drove to me for a replacement to be fitted 🤣
Old 19th October 2021, 08:13   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Not car related.
Many years ago I worked in a telephone exchange. An engineer came to me to say the wires on some tags were the wrong wire and could I help him trace the wire from the other end. The reason for this was at one end was a pink and grey wire and the other end was blue and yellow. We traced the wires to find the pink and grey had been connected to the blue and yellow. When I asked the engineer that carried out the work why, his reply was "I ran out of pink and grey"

If we had not replaced with the correct wire every time the circuit was checked at one end, the end that was blue and yellow people would have traced the wire from the far end. The colours meant something.

I seem to recall my dad telling me that a leather belt had been used instead of a big end shell or bearing but my mind could be playing tricks on me

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2021, 08:28   #6
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Two bits of foam held in by an elastic band to replace a non existent front arm bush.

I will not mention the members name but the bodge did stop the clonking while he drove to me for a replacement to be fitted 🤣

I was hoping you hadn't spotted my carefully designed 'upgrade' Andy!
MSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2021, 08:46   #7
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Back in the day I was in the coach game and one vehicle was driven in to repair a failed gearbox linkage. It had come down from London with one chap sitting next to the open gearbox inspection hatch at the rear of the coach with his hands on the selector shaft and the driver relaying which gear he wanted over the tannoy system.

Sadly we didn't have any correct size tube so rustled around the scrap bin and came up with a suitable length of pipe from an old Bedord CF that we welded in.

You'd probably have called that a bodge back then but now it is recycling!
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2021, 09:35   #8
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
I was hoping you hadn't spotted my carefully designed 'upgrade' Andy!

You would have used polyurethane….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19th October 2021, 11:04   #9
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Back in the 1970’s when MK2 jags were a throw away item, the chap who was in charge of our Drawing Office used to take any left over premixed Araldite to fill up his rusty sills.
It passed the MOT for the next few years as the sills were solid !
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2021, 12:40   #10
Rp61973
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTI Classic

I owned a 1966 VW Beetle around 34 years ago. The sills had been repaired with what can only be called a blend of polyester filler, chicken wire, baked bean tins and carboard from what appeared to be a Kelloggs Cornflakes pack...