Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th December 2021, 09:04   #1
dadragon
Gets stuck in

Jaguar 3 litre sport. (Lee) Rover 75 Connoisseur T4'd (Roger) Rover 75 Connoisseur SE (Gaynor)

Default EP on message centre

Hello, I've posted my problem in the Traders with T4 section and have been advised to make a separate thread. Basically this problem has suddenly manifested itself in the last couple of weeks. The battery is a Bosch, only 1 year old I removed it anyway and fully charged it. The plenum had a small amount of water, not swimming I have the spy hole mod and keep it clear anyway. I decided to check the ECU anyway it was dry ,even the plastic box wasn't wet, i disconnected it and took it to the house, opened it up and it was like new completely bone dry, i sprayed everything with the correct electrical fluid and put everything back. When I first tried to restart it the error was still there , i pulled fuse 4 from the underbonnet box and put it back. EP, took out the keys and re-inserted them again, it said P as it should, it started first turn and it drove it's usual brilliant self. Tried 2 days later, didn't start it just put the keys in still said P ,thats fine i thought. Next day Sunday morning i took it for a spin it was perfect, left it an hour ,offered to take my wife for her booster and it turned over but wouldn't start EP on the IPK. I've noticed a loud buzzing from the glove box area when the EP shows, it's been suggested that it sounds rely related, I agree and was going to swap some out with my wife's car as she has the same model, that's on Friday what with work commitments. I went out this morning and it's still showing EP. I decided to open the bonnet and pull fuse 4 ,I put it back in and the error had gone P for park was displayed. Dodgy fuse I thought, so I went back to the house and swapped out the fuse, EP back on. It's so random and intermittent. I have sent a PM to Jamie as he seems the nearest with T4
I'm waiting for a reply. The weather is shocking but does anyone think an option would be to undo the underbonnet fuse box and check underneath for a bad earth? Just to let you know my car is spotless in the engine bay and always kept clean and dry, no rust in there either but it does seem to be an electrical earthing or contact problem as that fuse pulling did seem to fix it temporarily. Sorry it goes on a bit but the more information, the better.
Thanks.
Regards DaDragon.

Last edited by dadragon; 7th December 2021 at 10:48..
dadragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2021, 19:26   #2
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

When the display shows EP does the oil light come on with key to position II as it should?
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2021, 20:02   #3
dadragon
Gets stuck in

Jaguar 3 litre sport. (Lee) Rover 75 Connoisseur T4'd (Roger) Rover 75 Connoisseur SE (Gaynor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
When the display shows EP does the oil light come on with key to position II as it should?
Yes it does.
Regards DaDragon
Old 7th December 2021, 20:13   #4
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

And when it fails to start does the under bonnet LP fuel pump run?
Old 7th December 2021, 20:17   #5
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Leaking underbonnet fuel pump dripping diesel into the passenger fusebox??
Old 7th December 2021, 20:52   #6
dadragon
Gets stuck in

July 04 facelift model single pump.
Regards DaDragon
Old 7th December 2021, 21:31   #7
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadragon View Post
Regards DaDragon
Damn, thats my theory screwed then
Old 8th December 2021, 12:20   #8
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadragon View Post
Regards DaDragon

If you pull the fuel hose at the inlet to the filter and place it in a large jar do you get a good flow of fuel into the jar with key to position II?
Old 8th December 2021, 15:17   #9
dadragon
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
If you pull the fuel hose at the inlet to the filter and place it in a large jar do you get a good flow of fuel into the jar with key to position II?
Unfortunately i can't work on the car yet as it's not stopped raining and the car isn't outside my house. Can you answer a couple of questions?
1. pulling out fuse 4 to reset the box , what is the correct method.? I have read that you should turn on the ignition, then pull the fuse then leave the ignition on for 20 minutes then put the fuse back, is this correct? i have only pulled the fuse for a few minutes and not had the ignition on.
2 Where exactly is the Auto ECU, and is it easy to disconnect ,i'm assuming with the battery disconnected.? Under the glove box i believe? I was going to swap it with my wife's working one but would prefer to buy a second hand unit instead of messing with her car. I will check the fuel route you suggested if all else fails. I have ordered 2 new relays and plan to check around under the fuse box and battery for damaged wires.
Thanks Regards DaDragon
Old 8th December 2021, 19:14   #10
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Dadragon you have a pm.