Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th October 2015, 14:58   #1
Skinjam
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon CDT Club SE 2001

Question Removing EGR Manifold Pipe

Last week I installed the EGR bypass mod to my rover, all was well but the next day it felt at though my turbo was not working as my car had no power and was terrible slow, so I took a look around in the engine and I noticed the pipe that went to the egr before was split, leaking out the gasses, I cut the fabric material that was covering the bendy pipe to see it was barely holding on, so all the gases were just escaping, the reason why my turbo wasn't working.

The kit I purchased included some blanking plates that you could put onto the manifold, but I can't see how I would take the pipe off, I put my car on ramps and I can see where the pipe goes, but it's an arms lengh up to reach it, so I tried putting 3 extension bars onto a socket but it was too awkward to get at really, plus with the pipe in the way I wouldn't be able to undo the top bolt.

Does anyone know what I should do? If I can remove this pipe or is there a permanent way I can block it completely?

I was desperate as I needed to pick up my brother from the airport and this i my only vehicle, so I got a piece of wood, cut it to shape, used some adhesive tap, wrapped it around the wood, hit it into the pipe with a hammer and used a screw to hold it in, and it worked! I did over 170 miles and not had a problem, but no way is it a permanent solution, the first few attempts the piece of wood fired out of my car like a cannon.

Here are some pictures showing the egr, pipe and wood.

Skinjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2015, 16:26   #2
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

All the EGR blanking kits I have fitted to the R75/ZT Diesel have come with a built-in blank so that you retain the old clamp & secure it to the pipe.

You shouldn't have to blank the pipe off separately.

There is also a place for the vacuum pipe.

It's almost as if it's the wrong kit fitted.

Example below:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EGR Blank.jpg (12.3 KB, 49 views)
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2015, 16:32   #3
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

As above. I don't think I've seen one blanked off with a sawn off broom handle and a screw before. A bit naughty that.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2015, 16:45   #4
freddie
Passed Away

75 cdti connoisseur se saloon

Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,345 Posts

Def the wrong kit as said above,
Should look like this. blanks off the exhaust gasses one side vacumn pipe pushes on the other side which blocks of that pipe.

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/...TCE/s-l225.jpg

LADY IN RED
freddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2015, 17:11   #5
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Be careful that whatever you use to block the pipe up with is secure and doesn't break up and get dislodged, or it will end up in the manifold and that is a short run to the inlet valves and cylinders.

Very little in the way of clearance at TDC, so if anything is injested it could be Goodnight Vienna for the engine.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2015, 19:04   #6
Skinjam
Avid contributor

It was a kit I purchased off ebay, I did have blanking plates for the pipe that did fit under the clip, the problem was the pipe itself was broken, even if I refitted the original egr the gasses would still be escaping.

So I need to blank off the part behind the broken pipe, but the clip I had was too big and wouldn't really secure the blanking plate I had, that's why I wanted to remove the whole pipe and blank it at the manifold.
Old 5th October 2015, 19:06   #7
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Be careful that whatever you use to block the pipe up with is secure and doesn't break up and get dislodged, or it will end up in the manifold and that is a short run to the inlet valves and cylinders.

Very little in the way of clearance at TDC, so if anything is injested it could be Goodnight Vienna for the engine.
I think theres a lot of confusion in this thread (or maybe it's just me!)

The INLET part of the system (intercooler -> EGR valve -> inlet manifold) is fine with no leaks or way for anything to go in.

It's the exhaust part of the system (exhaust -> EGR "tube" -> EGR valve) which has the leak. If you get a leak you end up with a very sooty engine bay!
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2015, 22:55   #8
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Personally I would replace the pipe that was broken, and make sure I have the right EGR bypass, or keep the original one and clean it out once a year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC19367.jpg (137.3 KB, 102 views)

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2015, 23:22   #9
Skinjam
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Personally I would replace the pipe that was broken, and make sure I have the right EGR bypass, or keep the original one and clean it out once a year.
That's my problem at the moment, removing the pipe, I don't know how to. Access to the bolts is bad, I took out the fuel filter to have a look, but it seems like I have to take all the plastics off the engine including the air filter housing, if that's even possible to access these two bolts.

Having the correct egr shouldn't be that much of a problem should it? It's achieving the same goal by blocking off the pipe.
Old 8th May 2016, 20:38   #10
Ross R75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinjam View Post
That's my problem at the moment, removing the pipe, I don't know how to. Access to the bolts is bad, I took out the fuel filter to have a look, but it seems like I have to take all the plastics off the engine including the air filter housing, if that's even possible to access these two bolts.

Having the correct egr shouldn't be that much of a problem should it? It's achieving the same goal by blocking off the pipe.
Resurrection. I had the same problem today. For those saying it's the wrong kit, it's not, it's the correct kit. The problem is that your original EGR valve has been stuck slightly open AND you've had a broken flexi joint on the EGR supply pipe. Now that you've blanked it off completely, the additional back pressure on the supply pipe has been too much for the damaged flexi joint which has given up the ghost.

I've had both types of EGR bypass, the one with the stem and plate for the exhaust supply pipe, and the conventional cylinder type that's supplied with blanking discs and a manifold blanking plate and gasket. The latter is better, if it's properly fitted. You need to remove the entire EGR exhaust supply pipe and fit the blanking plate and gasket to the exhaust manifold. You'll have no problems after this is done. Car on ramps and done from underneath is my guess at the moment but will update tomorrow night with photos when I've done mine.

If you have ever been able to smell exhaust gases in the car when sitting at traffic lights etc, chances are that the EGR flexi joint is leaxing. Bypass it and blank the supply port on the manifold, you'll never have that problem again.