Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd September 2021, 14:27   #1
Wicksie

Rover 75 saloon

Question Battery drain

Hi all, A bit concerned about high battery drain after fitting a new battery to my 2001 V6 auto.
I have done a no load amps check and after settling down for a couple of minutes get a steady reading of 280mA drain.
I was expecting about 100mA so am I seeing a normal figure for this model or do I have a problem?
Thanks Wicksie
Wicksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2021, 18:43   #2
boater
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

I think you need to wait longer than a couple of minutes - more like 30 mins for everything to shut down and then expect a reading of approx 30/50 mA. This is the current needed to keep the alarm system awake and the clock operating etc.

Do a search on here for more help.
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2021, 22:12   #3
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater View Post
I think you need to wait longer than a couple of minutes - more like 30 mins for everything to shut down and then expect a reading of approx 30/50 mA. This is the current needed to keep the alarm system awake and the clock operating etc.

Do a search on here for more help.
Agree that it must be thirty minutes minimum wait. Also, bonnet switch must be engaged and the car locked. Good videos on YouTube about the best ways to determine the true parasitic drain. Make sure your current monitoring meter is fused properly. I once forgot my ammeter was the only connection to the battery and unlocked the car. Resulting current surge destroyed the 10a range on that meter. It was a cheap meter fortunately.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2021, 14:43   #4
Wicksie

Rover 75 saloon

Default battery drain

Thanks, I came to that conclusion myself too! Always was an impatient NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-.
Anyway after about 5 minutes current drain goes down to 80mA and after an hour cycles between 20 and 80mA every few mins - so I am happy.
I am now going to lock the doors - no alarm - as suggested and see if I get a different result but I think 80mA is OK for 21 year old electronics
Wicksie is offline   Reply With Quote