Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th June 2012, 18:35   #1
rover54
Retired

rover 75 v6 Auto Conn. SE 54 plate LPG and 2006 Rover 75 v6 Auto LPG , 1.8 r75 Manual

Default This is how I feel, my first breakdown in a 75

This is how I feel at the moment as she has let me down.

The good bit of the day occured at 9am this morning when my second DD unit turned up, brought if for one of my spare cars from Radioguy, had a pleasent morning and just after lunch set out for the hospital for my weekly blood test. I then drove to Asda High Wycombe to do a bit of shopping in Asda, fill the LPG tanks, saving £10 compared with my local garages. I was then going to Kings Lynn to pick up some test equipment.

After I filled up I heard a very light machine gunning, it only lasted about 10 seconds and then disappeared so I thought to myself that I will keep an eye (or ear in this case) as it is difficult to diagnose a noise that has gone away.

I drove around the M25 and the up the A1 and then A1(m). Engine was running with not problem. Just before junction 8 a noise returned as a heavy mechanical knock. Pulled over to the hard shoulder, lifted the bonnet and tried to investigate the knocking. It appears to be coming from the timing belt end of the engine, so my next thought is one of the tensioners has failed. I have no experience of noise of the KV6 as I have never had a problem and judging by the sound it I think it might be a big end. Recovery got the car home and when I tried to start it to shift it into my disabled parking space, I found that the battery was completely flat which I thought was strange.

I now have the task of delving into the engine to see what has gone wrong; one way or another she will not find her way to the scrape yard. Its my 06 plated 75 and has only just turned 60,000.

Whilst on the hard shoulder I dipped the oil which was nearly at the max, the oil was still very clean having only done 4,000 miles of which about 3,000 was on LPG.

Now I have to make other plans to pick up the test equipment I have just purchased.

Time for a stiff drink, sleep on the problem and then start afresh tomorrow.

Last edited by rover54; 27th June 2012 at 18:39..
rover54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 18:45   #2
Steve916
This is my second home

Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE and a Ford S-Max Titanium

Hi Ed,
Total guess this, but as you have said the engine was still running when you pulled over, but you had heard a loud knocking noise. You then couldn't move the car as the battery was flat. My guess would be the bearings in the alternator possibly
Plenums, bonnet release mod, handbrake compensator (arctic), rear parking sensors, coolant level sensor (Vindaloo), DRL's, Fan resistor upgrade ( Jules), Marmite lighting, Auto dimming rear view mirror, twin horns, fog lights, real walnut dash, walnut gear knob, Sean DD unit with DVB-T, message centre ipk, electric sun blind, auto opening boot lid, walnut steering wheel, electric seats

Link to my Auto Boot Lift Mod
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=114273
Steve916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 18:56   #3
rover54
Retired

rover 75 v6 Auto Conn. SE 54 plate LPG and 2006 Rover 75 v6 Auto LPG , 1.8 r75 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve916 View Post
Hi Ed,
Total guess this, but as you have said the engine was still running when you pulled over, but you had heard a loud knocking noise. You then couldn't move the car as the battery was flat. My guess would be the bearings in the alternator possibly
I thought that as perhaps battery has discharged through alternator, I have two new alternators that I bought a couple of years ago plus I have a complete engine/auto box (removed complete) that I was going to put in my 1.8, that might now be going into my 06 plated 75. Going to sleep on it tonight and see how I feel in the morning.

If it is going to be off the road for sometime then I can bring my other v6 75 out of mothballs (decided to have a spare car because of my disabilities) , it needs a couple of jobs doing on it and then a MOT, plus for local journeys I have my 8mph mobility scooter. One thing I won't let it get me down as one way or another I will have transport.
Old 27th June 2012, 19:00   #4
Gazmo65
Loves to post

Volvo S80

I would agree sounds like the alternator any chance you can charge the battery and remove the belt drive for the alternator and run the car for a short while without it just to discount it
Gazmo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 19:09   #5
Avid contributor

zt-t190 ztCdti zt190 ROVER75 CONNIE SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover54 View Post
I thought that as perhaps battery has discharged through alternator, I have two new alternators that I bought a couple of years ago plus I have a complete engine/auto box (removed complete) that I was going to put in my 1.8, that might now be going into my 06 plated 75. Going to sleep on it tonight and see how I feel in the morning.

If it is going to be off the road for sometime then I can bring my other v6 75 out of mothballs (decided to have a spare car because of my disabilities) , it needs a couple of jobs doing on it and then a MOT, plus for local journeys I have my 8mph mobility scooter. One thing I won't let it get me down as one way or another I will have transport.
In the same boat today fortuitous that i am able as you are to call on a 'spare' really would be suicidal if i was as many are here just about able to run 1 car the inconveinience of living in the sticks with no transport doesn't even bear thinking about
Old 27th June 2012, 19:25   #6
rover54
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by 190180135 View Post
In the same boat today fortuitous that i am able as you are to call on a 'spare' really would be suicidal if i was as many are here just about able to run 1 car the inconveinience of living in the sticks with no transport doesn't even bear thinking about
I actually have two spares, in addition to my other v6 I have a 1.8 facelift that I purchased cheap as it had an overheating problem, that still has an MOT until the end of September, I think is more of an engine management issue rather than a head gasket, just haven't got around to investigating the problem. Putting my other v6 on the road will only take a day or so, but I will see what damage has occured with my 06 vehicle first. If I change cars I have all the agro of changing tax discs as I will need a new certificate of disabled entitlement and then going to my local DVLA centre to do the business tax wise.
Old 27th June 2012, 19:36   #7
seancar
Banned

75 tourer and t4

gutted for you ed have sent you a pm you know where we are if you need help all you have to do is pick the phone up
seancar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2012, 15:38   #8
rover54
Retired

Having just run my trusty screwdriver stuck to my ear over the old girl, she appears to a little tummy trouble from the timing belt area. Thank god it isn't big ends or cams. So it looks like timing covers off inspect and replace belt/tensioners/waterpump. Car has just done 60,000 and is just 6 years from registration. I think in future they will be done every 50,000 miles on my cars, Sean in Bexhill will have the pleasure next time as I am giving doing major work on my cars because of my medical conditions and Sean will be maintaining/servicing my cars.

I expect this will take a couple of weeks to do, because of the rain and my medical problems, just won't let it get to me.
Old 9th July 2012, 17:12   #9
scorpio stu
This is my second home

Jaguar 3.2 Executive

Sorry to hear of your troubles,I am off for the next couple of days if you need a hand with anything
Triumph Street Triple R
scorpio stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2012, 17:19   #10
rover54
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio stu View Post
Sorry to hear of your troubles,I am off for the next couple of days if you need a hand with anything
Thanks for the offer, I should be all right, just going to take it easy. I thought that I may have to remove the lump as you had to do. Are you back on the road now?