Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th July 2012, 21:56   #1
pricey
Regular poster

75 Club 1.8T Auto Moonstone Green 2003

Default What difference will the wrong exhaust make.

Hi folks
I just found out the previous owner has welded the standard 1.8 exhaust back box onto my 1.8t. Now the pipe is narrower on the std 1.8 so my pipe has been cut then welded so it fits together. I have only had the car a couple of months and the box looks quite new.
The car seems a bit reluctant to rev beyond 4000 could the exhaust be affecting the car what do you think?
Paul
pricey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 22:31   #2
rover54
Retired

rover 75 v6 Auto Conn. SE 54 plate LPG and 2006 Rover 75 v6 Auto LPG , 1.8 r75 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricey View Post
Hi folks
I just found out the previous owner has welded the standard 1.8 exhaust back box onto my 1.8t. Now the pipe is narrower on the std 1.8 so my pipe has been cut then welded so it fits together. I have only had the car a couple of months and the box looks quite new.
The car seems a bit reluctant to rev beyond 4000 could the exhaust be affecting the car what do you think?
Paul
Will give the wrong back pressure and exhaust gases will stifle engine breathing.
rover54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2012, 06:00   #3
Gazmo65
Loves to post

Volvo S80

you need as free a flowing exhaust as possible with a turbo or you back pressure it and and raise the temperature and heat within the turbo unit itself, remove the back box and try running the car up the road without the box and see if it revs out ok, it shouldnt be too loud as you have the turbo in place to cut down on noise,this will prove if you have a problem or not, always always let the engine idle for around a minute before turning off after a run or if it has been revved as the turbo takes a short while to spin down (it spins in excess of 100000 rpm hence the whine or whistle you can hear) if you turn the engine off without letting it spin down you starve it of oil, this is the biggest killer of all turbos.
Gazmo65 is offline   Reply With Quote