Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th December 2014, 17:27   #71
Pistonbroke666
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 1.8T, MG GS Exclusive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordy View Post
I'm at home recovering from hand surgery and seeing the delights of daytime tv....I've been watching ch221 turbo discovery (Chasing classics, Graveyard Carz, Wheeler Dealers etc)...a little bit green at the fact I'd love my 75 and my 924 to be given a bolt up full restoration...it's just the £££'s.

It's obvious that with enough money it's do-able!
It's a case of you making the car the best you want it to be.

I'm in Essex and when it happens I'd love to see it.

I've always wanted a street sleeper, seen a 75 v8 with the supercharger
I think my 924 is more realistic between the two...want to turbo charge it, need to find the right way and the right people!

Wish you all the best in making it happen

Paul
I remember missing driving so much after I had a bit of hand surgery. Boxing injury resulted in two bones slowly pushing themselves out of place.

If it all goes ahead I'd certainly not be shy at showing it off so I wouldn't worry about not seeing it hehe.

Thanks for the support!
Pistonbroke666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2014, 17:49   #72
Gazmo65
Loves to post

Volvo S80

Go for it the cosworth engines of the 80s and early 90s were 2.0litre and pushing out 600bhp+ so a 1.8 making 300bhp is easily doable and when you look into bike engines some of the Hayabusa's make over 300bhp without breaking a sweat using standard internals and are 1300cc with a supercharger or turbo plumbed in, Jack Frost at Holeshot racing has made mega power with these engines 700bhp+. I think cooling would be your only problem as these K series engines have a bit of an issue though the Lotus boys dont seem to have so much of an issue from what I understand,
Gazmo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2014, 19:32   #73
Cable Tie
Regional Secretary

Orange grove ztt cdti

Thanked 1,381 Times in 818 Posts

been in this position with my old sierra cossy but like you i suspect i did it got it to 330 bhp at the wheels proven on rolling road then after a while got fed up with idiots trying to race me off the lights etc but one thing i can say is i did it and enjoyed every second of driving the beast good luck and keep us informed
Cable Tie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2014, 19:58   #74
VMax1000
Passed Away

MG ZT260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistonbroke666 View Post
Thinking about suspension some more.

It'll still be a relatively lightweight K series up front and MG-R are known for having developed very high quality suspension set ups.

If the 75 V8, which I presume isn't on the hard springs can handle the power, why wouldn't my standard set up?

That's not a rhetorical question... any people in the know that know?
Suspension is mostly based on the car's weight and the stiffness required. Engine power is largely irrelevant to suspension.

On the V8 the front wishbones and the rear trailing arm are the same as on a normal ZT.

I would suspect that parts that take the additional power need to be looked at.

I would thing that from a suspension set-up you'd be alright.
However I would look at the torque the drive-shafts and the CV-joints can take.

Good luck with this
VMax1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2014, 21:03   #75
2.2-600-vtec
Loves to post

mg ztt

As said look at diesel parts for the torque issues, I have driven most turbo rovers and the zt I feel would not stress at all running 300bhp,

As a note the pg1 gearbox as uses in the rover 2.0turbo cars is not all that strong in standard trim due to poor bearings, the zt box is built alot stronger so I can't really see a issue and you don't see many zt boxes fail.
2.2-600-vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2014, 09:21   #76
Pistonbroke666
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazmo65 View Post
Go for it the cosworth engines of the 80s and early 90s were 2.0litre and pushing out 600bhp+ so a 1.8 making 300bhp is easily doable and when you look into bike engines some of the Hayabusa's make over 300bhp without breaking a sweat using standard internals and are 1300cc with a supercharger or turbo plumbed in, Jack Frost at Holeshot racing has made mega power with these engines 700bhp+. I think cooling would be your only problem as these K series engines have a bit of an issue though the Lotus boys dont seem to have so much of an issue from what I understand,
My thoughts were that 300bhp wasn't too ambitious. It's quite a sensible target for the budget I'm looking to play with.
Cooling is certainly something I need to look into - Like you say, the Lotus guys seem to have it figured out so I will check out their builds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt darke View Post
been in this position with my old sierra cossy but like you i suspect i did it got it to 330 bhp at the wheels proven on rolling road then after a while got fed up with idiots trying to race me off the lights etc but one thing i can say is i did it and enjoyed every second of driving the beast good luck and keep us informed
It's just a why not kinda build. Be good to take an engine that a lot of people have doubts about and make it into something fairly special.
The more people that do it, the more manufacturers might start making bits for our motors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMax1000 View Post
Suspension is mostly based on the car's weight and the stiffness required. Engine power is largely irrelevant to suspension.

On the V8 the front wishbones and the rear trailing arm are the same as on a normal ZT.

I would suspect that parts that take the additional power need to be looked at.

I would thing that from a suspension set-up you'd be alright.
However I would look at the torque the drive-shafts and the CV-joints can take.

Good luck with this
Drive shafts and CV joints seems like a sensible place to start. I didn't know that the wishbones and arms were the same so thats quite helpful.
Any idea what parts the supercharged V8 owners had to uprate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.2-600-vtec View Post
As said look at diesel parts for the torque issues, I have driven most turbo rovers and the zt I feel would not stress at all running 300bhp,

As a note the pg1 gearbox as uses in the rover 2.0turbo cars is not all that strong in standard trim due to poor bearings, the zt box is built alot stronger so I can't really see a issue and you don't see many zt boxes fail.
I think you might be right on the gearbox front - gearbox failure just isn't an issue amongst these cars, or at least one that I've noticed.
Old 10th December 2014, 10:26   #77
VMax1000
Passed Away

MG ZT260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistonbroke666 View Post
Drive shafts and CV joints seems like a sensible place to start. I didn't know that the wishbones and arms were the same so thats quite helpful.
Any idea what parts the supercharged V8 owners had to uprate?
Need to clarify, trailing arm is not interchangeble between the two models as there are differences.
Rear trailing arm is essentially the same design apart from the required changes to accommodate the V8, but on the V8 not used for the toe-adjustment. Front wishbone is the same apart from the droplink on the V8 that connects to the torsionbar.

Apart from the additional S/C, intercooler and various hoses and reorganising the alternator position, the V8 remains unchanged. No changes to drive-gear or suspension/brakes.

V8 trailing

Normal trailing

Last edited by VMax1000; 10th December 2014 at 10:34..
VMax1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2014, 11:12   #78
Pistonbroke666
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMax1000 View Post
Need to clarify, trailing arm is not interchangeble between the two models as there are differences.
Rear trailing arm is essentially the same design apart from the required changes to accommodate the V8, but on the V8 not used for the toe-adjustment. Front wishbone is the same apart from the droplink on the V8 that connects to the torsionbar.

Apart from the additional S/C, intercooler and various hoses and reorganising the alternator position, the V8 remains unchanged. No changes to drive-gear or suspension/brakes.

V8 trailing

Normal trailing
That's very helpful, thanks mate.

I realised I missed a couple of fundamental items from my list of necessary bits for this project... engine stand and a space to work on! Looks like I'll be buying a shed come workshop to fit at my dads place. The good news is he said if I sort that out plus a heater and lighting it'll mean he can work on it whenever he gets a chance. So much win.
Old 10th December 2014, 12:54   #79
olliesgrandad
Loves to post

mg zt

Err WHY ???
olliesgrandad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2014, 12:58   #80
Pistonbroke666
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by olliesgrandad View Post
Err WHY ???
Why do people spend hundreds on an oak steering wheel?
Just 'cause'