Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th December 2016, 19:58   #41
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

The 75 is a much better looking car anyway.
Old 15th December 2016, 20:27   #42
Oxygen
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Now i will try to find one more 75- tourer version. I will try to get up to 40k miles on odo.
Oxygen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2016, 21:39   #43
e30325itourer
Loves to post

mgztt190/bmw e30 325i tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.mc.g View Post
Weirdly, exactly what he said.

Here's our lovely xtype, pampered by swmbo all its life - literally not a mark on her. These two photos were taken on the same day.

Realising her MOT was due I took what I expected to be a cursory look underneath and .....

The entire underside of that car has rotted to the same or worse extent and ALL of it happened in less than a year since it passed its mot with NO advisories.

Great cars, fun to drive - made of paper mache unfortunately.

My friend recently had to scrap a 75 due to a rotten subframe - but it at least was understandable - it had been sitting in the driveway of a coastal road property exposed to the Irish sea for years before he bought it.

Keep your Rover - they're better built, better to drive, better in every conceivable way imaginable in my not so humble opinion

That second photo is scary.
This vehicle was the 100th ZT-T in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 1,134 Starlight Silver ZT-Ts
e30325itourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2016, 07:57   #44
humptynumpty
Retired

Health

just my 10 cents worth lol but i had a s-type jag i was led to believe it was better than x-type that was a MONDEO IN DRAG and all i can say is i had 1 jag 2.5v6 but ive had 3 rover 75's and currently on a 2.5 v6 MG so definatly R75/MG all the way
humptynumpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2016, 09:00   #45
south bank
Avid contributor

2004 Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE Saloon (Pre-Facelift)

In defence of the X-Type, too much is/was made of the Mondeo reference. The floor of the platform was based around the Mondeo but modified, so calling it a Mondeo is a bit harsh

It's similar to saying an Alfa 159 is just a Vectra, because a similar arrangement existed there. With regards to the components which dictate how a car feels: Suspension damping, point loading sites, structural stuffness, toe & camber, steering rack/pumps, brakes, clutch, wheel depth and tyres, gearing, diff and not forgetting the big one - the engine, everything is different.

But I'm not saying it's a good car, it's just pretty decent dynamically and of that era of jaguar, it's probably the best to drive.

The 75/ZT range are better to drive in my opinion, with 4wd on some X-Types being the only thing I'd make an exception for.

As a comparative overview vs 75/ZT: X-types rot, have cheap switches, shallow boots, lack interior finesse (Ours have an oval theme), have bad leather, don't sound very nice, don't have a useful shelf in the middle of the dash, are a bit asthmatic in their power delivery, more cramped in the rear, more expensive to fix, but most importantly almost everybody thinks you're driving a Mondeo in a fancy frock.

... You're not, but if you have to explain or excuse your car, you'll not feel as good about it.

Real Wood Dashboard, Chrome Bullet Mirrors, Real Leather Armrest,1.8 Torpedo Badges, Rear Lamp Access Panels, Driver's Grab Handle, Footwell Wall Carpet, Real Leather Handbrake, Rear Ash Tray, Seatbelt Bolt Anchor Caps, Original Cigar Lighter, Original Door Reflectors.
south bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2016, 10:48   #46
Rooney
Suspended

MG ZT 135+ Rover 75 CDTi Tourer, 75 2.5 V6 Saloon

You'll never stop people from making the mondeo in drag sort of comment.

It's the sort of dig the x-type gets from people who pay more attention to message boards than facts (no offence, but it's like saying every rover 75 will get hgf).

I've posted extensively previously about the differences between a mondeo and an x-type, there's no point repeating it as it doesn't get read, but here's my favourite link

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...rd-Mondeo.html
Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2016, 15:35   #47
podge
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Tourer CDT CLUB SE Copper Red Mica Dec 01 ....now deceased....replaced by2003 Royal Blue T

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5tart View Post
you were not to have the Ford injector problem at around 100k when you have to replace all the injectors on the diesel at a cost of about £1000
Ah,I should have mentioned the Mondeo was a late MK One,very simple engine and not a Direct Injection one,in all those 240,000 + miles all I changed were cambelts.I had no idea the X Type had plastic sill covers until I read this post either.On reflection,another good reason for another 75.........methinks I made the right choice,another 75 again.

B.M.Ws loss........OUR GAIN!!!!!!!!
http://knowledgerush.com/wiki_image/...arp.300pix.jpghttp://farm1.static.flickr.com/167/3...b847e1c5_m.jpg

Last edited by podge; 18th December 2016 at 15:41..
podge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2016, 17:06   #48
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

I run both, and enjoy them each. The 2.5 X Type is much more of a sports saloon than the 75 V6 , and the 4 wheel drive is superb. I have always said horses for courses, and shall continue with each. The X Types will get more winter use due to their AWD system, so they are more likely to rot underneath, but I have had to repair one of each over the years. Just hope the current ones in ownership behave themselves in this respect.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2016, 18:17   #49
Dart2050
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connie SE CDTI Tourer, MGF and Triumph Bonneville America

Default I had both at the same time.

I had both at the same time. The Rover was supposed to be a support car for the Jag X type whilst I sorted out 'safe mode' problem.### See my previous threads####
Never did sort it and within 5 months of buying it failed mot on emissions, rotted seat belt anchorages etc. I had to sell it as spares. Criminal. It looked immaculate inside and out! The trusty rover 75 cdti tourer has proven really reliable and I gave grown to love it. Drives lovely, comfy, economical, carries anything and keeps up with everything. Over 6 foot sons happy in the back. Cleans up looking expensive. What more can anyone want? It has taken me a while but I really 'get' the Rover75 now. Mine is facelifted in metallic firefrost red with 109k on clock now. I will keep her on the road as long as I can. Would I buy another? You bet!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (19.8 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Dart2050; 20th December 2016 at 21:40..
Dart2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2016, 23:03   #50
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

I was at my local MOT tester today with a customers car and he had just failed an X Type on serious corrosion, it was as bad if not worse as some of the other pictures that have been posted and on top it looked immaculate. The owner was making arrangements to have it collected as it was unsafe to drive. My guess it will be scrapped and the worse bit it had only done 25k.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote