Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th September 2018, 19:33   #1
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts
Default v6 sounds like ratchet

V6 auto making a noise described the same as a very loud ratchet (so I imagine a fast whirring noise). Noise so bad (apparently) that it sounds terminal. Historically I'm told that the engine has been using coolant.

The timing belts have been checked (main belt dated 2010 and appearing in good condition).

Any educated guesses as to the source of the noise?

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2018, 19:40   #2
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default Inlet manifold

Stick your ear near the black plastic inlet manifold...my money would be on that is what is rattling.

Common issue with the V6 but not terminal for the engine. Very annoying and means that something inside the manifold ( balance flap etc) is worn or broken

Chris
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2018, 20:49   #3
Gazmo65
Loves to post

Volvo S80

If it is the inlet manifold cheapest option is to gut it and run it like that until you can get a decent one.
Gazmo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2018, 10:04   #4
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
V6 auto making a noise described the same as a very loud ratchet (so I imagine a fast whirring noise).
I take it from this that you haven’t seen and heard the engine yourself. I’d suggest that if you do, we’ll all be in a much better position to help. This is why:
Quote:
Noise so bad (apparently) that it sounds terminal.
All this means is that your correspondent has no idea what’s wrong and so, naturally, expects the worst.
Quote:
Historically I'm told that the engine has been using coolant.
That’s nothing unusual with a KV6. It’s probably leaking ‘O’ rings in the ‘V’.
Quote:
The timing belts have been checked ...
Oh really? Given that the only front cover that can realistically be removed is the upper RH, it is impossible to make a ‘check’ of any value. But if there was a problem here it would be with the tensioner pulley and/or idler wheel, not the belt. Were these renewed in 2010, that is the most pertinent question.
There’s also the ancillary belt tensioner and idler wheel which might be responsible.

More information is needed. It’s pointless to make wild guesses at this stage.
I hope that’s of some help and guidance.

Simon
Old 10th September 2018, 10:13   #5
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanks for all the responses. In answer to questions - No I haven't heard the noise myself and likely won't have the opportunity for a while. Although clearly loudly audible from the interior of the car.

I'm hoping to have compiled a list of things to check when I do get the opportunity.

True that only the condition and date of the main belt has been checked.

Where?:
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
Old 11th September 2018, 10:46   #6
Lord of Hog
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 V6 in Wedgwood Blue

Not heard many "ratchet" noises, but consider perhaps one of these which might be described thus by someone without access to the specific terminology as used on this august organ:

Fuel purge valve: Correct description "ticka-tacka-ticka-tacka" (foreign market spec vehicles and Cowley-built cars sometimes have this referred to as "irritating random clicking").

Intake manifold upper chamber: Correct description " a bag of nails". Addition of certain interchangeable parts from the E46 BMW allow it to also be described in service literature as "clattery-whirry-rattly type of noise".

VIS motor butterfly: Factory literature almost always refers to this as "annoying rev-related ticking". This was originally "clicking" but was changed when production switched to Longbridge in order to avoid confusion with the fuel purge valve which is only a couple of feet away.

Anything which may involve the use of the word "squeak" please look under either "Suspension - Section 2 "Bumpety Thumpety Squeaks" or "Fascia - Section 9 "A good old splurge of silicone will do the trick".

Conformity is not morality.
Consensus is not truth.
Lord of Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2018, 10:57   #7
rockerbox
Avid contributor

MG ZT/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Hog View Post
Not heard many "ratchet" noises, but consider perhaps one of these which might be described thus by someone without access to the specific terminology as used on this august organ:

Fuel purge valve: Correct description "ticka-tacka-ticka-tacka" (foreign market spec vehicles and Cowley-built cars sometimes have this referred to as "irritating random clicking").

Intake manifold upper chamber: Correct description " a bag of nails". Addition of certain interchangeable parts from the E46 BMW allow it to also be described in service literature as "clattery-whirry-rattly type of noise".

VIS motor butterfly: Factory literature almost always refers to this as "annoying rev-related ticking". This was originally "clicking" but was changed when production switched to Longbridge in order to avoid confusion with the fuel purge valve which is only a couple of feet away.

Anything which may involve the use of the word "squeak" please look under either "Suspension - Section 2 "Bumpety Thumpety Squeaks" or "Fascia - Section 9 "A good old splurge of silicone will do the trick".
See, now that is what we need, proper common sense language which is so much more accurate than 'Public convenience sanitary engineer' type of non-speak. Love it, excellent post
rockerbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2018, 12:29   #8
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Hog View Post

That gave me a laugh to read it. At the root though is a truth - one mans 'loud ratchet' might be a (rapid) tick or a click to another pair of ears. We'll wait and see - I'll be immensely relieved if it does turn out to be the purge valve and the car just needs an Italian tune-up!

Where?:
Mods/Retrofits:

To do:
Old 11th September 2018, 12:32   #9
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord of hog View Post
not heard many "ratchet" noises, but consider perhaps one of these which might be described thus by someone without access to the specific terminology as used on this august organ:

Fuel purge valve: Correct description "ticka-tacka-ticka-tacka" (foreign market spec vehicles and cowley-built cars sometimes have this referred to as "irritating random clicking").

Intake manifold upper chamber: Correct description " a bag of nails". Addition of certain interchangeable parts from the e46 bmw allow it to also be described in service literature as "clattery-whirry-rattly type of noise".

Vis motor butterfly: Factory literature almost always refers to this as "annoying rev-related ticking". This was originally "clicking" but was changed when production switched to longbridge in order to avoid confusion with the fuel purge valve which is only a couple of feet away.

Anything which may involve the use of the word "squeak" please look under either "suspension - section 2 "bumpety thumpety squeaks" or "fascia - section 9 "a good old splurge of silicone will do the trick".
loflmao :d