Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th September 2018, 21:55   #11
Dansrockin
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT number 1 of 25 celestial!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
I'd suggest change the coolant and either drain out some of the oil and get the level right. - halfway between low and high on a cold (stone cold) engine is always best. Over the high and there's risk of seal damage - low and there's a risk to the top end lubrication _ although i'd always err on the lower side - overfilling has probably killed more engines than it's helped...

then take it for a decent run do at least 10 miles cruising 60-70 at temperature then check the oil and coolant (once the engine has cooled for a couple of hours). Then you'll know where you stand.
Thanks, I'll try and give it a go over the next few days and hopefully it's not as bad as I assumed. I must admit I'm doubtful though!
Dansrockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2018, 22:12   #12
Gazmo65
Loves to post

Volvo S80

My lad has had an MG TF and an MG ZR both with the 1.8 K series motor the ZR was always ok apart from on one occassion when the expansion tank cap failed and he fitted a cheap one only to have the same problem so fitted a genuine cap and everything was good, but the TF kept having issues and we couldn't decide whether it was an impending HGF or something else so we removed the in block thermostat and fitted a PRT one still problems with the coolant and this went on for a few days changing caps and coolant and bleeding until he bit the bullet and had the head removed, sure enough the gasket had started to fail but it was a case of cylinder pressure getting into the coolant causing it to overflow but only when hot, weird I know but that is what we were told by the bloke who did the gasket, there were no problems after that and his confidence in the car returned for many more miles of smiles. Moral of the story is you will always be un easy and won't trust the vehicle until you know the head gasket is done, the bonus you have is the engine bay on the 75 is far easier to access than that on a TF, go for it.

Last edited by Gazmo65; 17th September 2018 at 22:13.. Reason: Speeling
Gazmo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2018, 11:26   #13
Dansrockin
Posted a thing or two

Just cleaned out the expansion tank, topped it up and took it for a 10 mile run. Dash temp stayed around 94-97, I booted it a few times and it went up to around 99. Left it idling for a minute when I got back, fan kicked in at 107 and it dropped back down fairly quickly. Hot air coming out of all the vents. Left it to cool a bit and the coolant is red with no oil on it.
I'm going to do a few runs in it over the next few days, but if it stays clear I'll give it a full flush and fill with fresh coolant at the weekend to make sure there's nothing left in the system. Hopefully it was just NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- left in the system from the previous hgf, and it wasn't cleaned properly. We'll soon find out though!
Old 18th September 2018, 12:23   #14
EdgarDonaldBalls
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi XPower Grey

If it does turn out to be hgf don't worry, It seems scary but I can say from a position of authority that its not a bad job for even the most inexperienced fool.

The biggest job I had ever done on a car was change some discs and pads when I caught the head gasket in the early stages of failure on my ZS back in 2014.

Took my time with it and made sure I did everything the best I could but it was pretty simple really. I had no way of measuring the liner hights so I went with the old style gasket, got the kit from DMGRS. The hardest part for me was getting the timing belt back on, that's probably the most fiddly part.

I'm glad to say that the car is still on the road and going well with it's current owner, they got a pretty good bargain for £450.

If you do need to change the head gasket and need the cam locking tool, let me know and I'll send you mine, somebody sent it to me years ago so it's only right that I pass it on.
EdgarDonaldBalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2018, 13:45   #15
Dansrockin
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarDonaldBalls View Post
If it does turn out to be hgf don't worry, It seems scary but I can say from a position of authority that its not a bad job for even the most inexperienced fool.

The biggest job I had ever done on a car was change some discs and pads when I caught the head gasket in the early stages of failure on my ZS back in 2014.

Took my time with it and made sure I did everything the best I could but it was pretty simple really. I had no way of measuring the liner hights so I went with the old style gasket, got the kit from DMGRS. The hardest part for me was getting the timing belt back on, that's probably the most fiddly part.

I'm glad to say that the car is still on the road and going well with it's current owner, they got a pretty good bargain for £450.

If you do need to change the head gasket and need the cam locking tool, let me know and I'll send you mine, somebody sent it to me years ago so it's only right that I pass it on.
Thanks, that would be very much appreciated if it comes to it!
Old 18th September 2018, 14:47   #16
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

I have only done one hg before but on a Toyota, so can only go by what I've read here. As has already been mentioned, do it and take your time, and be methodical. At the end of the day, you had no plans for the car other than as a spares car. So you should still have what you need/want, plus you will have gained a new experience, and for a little outlay. If it goes well, you should even get all of your money back (take pictures as proof of it being done ). Then you'll be quids in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dansrockin View Post
Thanks, that would be very much appreciated if it comes to it!
Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2018, 15:21   #17
myfirstrover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 cdi

Go for it ! the 1.8 engine is good to work on , just take your time and work methodically and you should have no problems
myfirstrover is offline   Reply With Quote