Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 26th February 2021, 17:42   #1
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts
Default Chassis Repair Sections?

Have just come back from leaving my car off for what was to be a sill repair, but has turned into a mini nightmare.

Under the car was not as solid as I had thought. I am not talking about the various components, although they have seen better days, but I am less concerned about these (most of which can be removed, cleaned up or replaced). But the worst part pf all was a boxed strengthening area near to the front sub frame.

Have been asked by the guy dealing with it, if there are repair sections available, for the sake of saving some time (and therefore money for me - I can see the total cost for this work coming in quite steep). I cannot find anything on Rimmers, and it is not something I have been able to find through the forum, nor come across.

Is such a section available? and if so, where please?

He is capable.and confident of making something up, but will not be quick.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2021, 19:52   #2
rrobson
I really should get out more.......

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

Cant say I’ve seen one, it’s not a common area for corrosion but making a repair panel for that area is very straightforward. An couple of hours worst case will have that cut out and a suitable patch manufactured. That sill area looks to be well on its way too...

VIS motor tester avalible to local members

Injector removal tool and auto gearbox pressure tester now available
rrobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2021, 20:09   #3
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Looking at your picture a patch would be the way to go. To change that whole item, assuming you can find the part, would, I guess be quite labour intensive and expensive.--
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2021, 20:17   #4
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default I understand.

This is more extensive than it looks, I think a section from a scrapper would be the way forward if it was my car. The question for me is how has it rotted out like this?
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2021, 21:39   #5
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrobson View Post
Cant say I’ve seen one, it’s not a common area for corrosion but making a repair panel for that area is very straightforward. An couple of hours worst case will have that cut out and a suitable patch manufactured. That sill area looks to be well on its way too...
I dont think it is a straightforward as it looks (time wise at least) as it curves upwards towards the engine bay and edges very close to the subframe, plus the guy is pretty keen for it to look original. The sill at that corner is actually very solid.

Facebook and his own website HERE

I cannot speak from experience yet on his work (although what I have seen in the flesh it is fantastic), and whilst I think it could probably be done to an acceptable standard for less elsewhere, I last spoke with him in September, when he had no space for it. He said he would contact me closer to when the MOT was due (which was April at that time, but since extended again). Without prompting, he phoned a couple of days ago, which for me is a good sign of his integrity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Looking at your picture a patch would be the way to go. To change that whole item, assuming you can find the part, would, I guess be quite labour intensive and expensive.--
I think it will be a cut out, form and replacement, as it is a strengthening section. A plate would allow it to pass the MOT, but he is not keen on doing this, as it is 'half a job'. This was actually a cause for considering scrapping, as it is a daily driver. I thought about it briefly, but what would I get that I wanted? Nothing that wasnt going to cost what this will likely cost. So going to bite the bullet and just do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
This is more extensive than it looks, I think a section from a scrapper would be the way forward if it was my car. The question for me is how has it rotted out like this?
He and I discussed it, and we dont know how it got like this. The right side is much worse than the left, with more obvious corrosion on the right compared to the left. He was as surprised at that as I was. He also just finished a mini restoration of a Trophy blue one, and its corrosion was bad on the left side (which is what you would expect). The conclusion I had, was that the previous owner, had it for 7 or 8 years, and did only 3-5000 miles per year, with the driver's side parked beside a small wall that never got the sun, so could have been damp from that.

I suggested a scrap section, as I didnt think it would be available new, but he reckoned getting a section would be difficult locally, certainly awkward and could work out just as expensive as him making something up. He is quite keen on the rust treatment all over, rather than just replacing the sills and the chassis area, and has suggested I come down for a few hours to scrape away the corrosion, so hopefully will be able to get time off (working from home) to do this next week.

Last edited by clf; 26th February 2021 at 21:46..
Old 27th February 2021, 00:34   #6
bsafly
Just going about!

Rover 75 CDTi Connie SE Tourer starlight silver and serpents. MG ZT-T 190+ in Raven Black.

That definitely looks like it has corroded from inside the chassis box section, does the car have a sunroof or has it history of wet front floor pans?
Just a thought looking at the photo, although it would be easier to assess if seen 'in the flesh' as it were.
bsafly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2021, 01:49   #7
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsafly View Post
That definitely looks like it has corroded from inside the chassis box section, does the car have a sunroof or has it history of wet front floor pans?
Just a thought looking at the photo, although it would be easier to assess if seen 'in the flesh' as it were.
The 'big' hole is from the hammer, tapping it out. There is a machined 'speed' hole nearby - the smaller one, which is likely where any water splashed in, but its crustiness is 'naturally formed'. The opposite side is solid. There is no sunroof, and no evidence of recent leakage in the carpets (so far lol) or plenums. The only conclusion we could come up with, was where the previous owner parked the car and the subsequent lack of use (a short wall beside the right hand side of the car that got no sun/warmth, nor much air flow).

It was shocking to me how bad it actually was. Even under his lighting, another issue showed up, and that was a pebble dash effect of failed paint on the bonnet! I didnt even notice this on Sunday when I hand washed it. I was embarrassed at the state of it and that I had missed it. When it is retired to part time/classic use, rather than a daily, I will seriously consider a full respray, as there are about three or four different shades of silver.

Old 3rd March 2021, 01:58   #8
e30325itourer
Loves to post

mgztt190/bmw e30 325i tourer

Don't know if it's off any use to you, I have a breaker up here in straid you can take an angle grinder too.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
This vehicle was the 100th ZT-T in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 1,134 Starlight Silver ZT-Ts
e30325itourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2021, 12:43   #9
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Hi Alan.
The lines i have pointed out with the yellow dots is it the under coat that's cracked or the metal it's self ?

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2021, 13:29   #10
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Alan.
The lines i have pointed out with the yellow dots is it the under coat that's cracked or the metal it's self ?

It was just the undercoat (which worryingly, in itself suggests some form of movement).

I havent had a chance to get under and get a photograph of it finished.