Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Photography Corner
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th February 2021, 11:32   #301
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

This Southern Rock Agama came and sat fairly close to check me out whilst he was basking in the sun, not poisonous and roughly about 6 - 8" in length, but can deliver a painful bite. He was not threatened by my presence and did not mind having his photo taken.

Location: On the mountain at the family farm in the Western Cape, South Africa in December 2020

Southern Rock Agama South Africa

by Philip Gate Keeper, on Flickr
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2021, 15:39   #302
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post

Acacia Tree Masaai Mara

Commonly found in the Masai Mara National Game Reserve is the Acacia Tree, a photo I took in 2011. The reserve is just over 900 square miles big and we are planning on going there for a camping break in our tent. Our favourite camp site is at Sand River near to the closed Tanzanian border crossing. We like the Sand River as there is no pollution in the water and there are no crocodiles. Its safe for us to go in for a cooling dip

Blooming heck! Phil Cracking pictures. Beats looking out a Bolton window

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2021, 14:49   #303
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
Blooming heck! Phil Cracking pictures. Beats looking out a Bolton window
Thank you Ian, thank you very much. Its been years since I was in Bolton visiting friends and staying the night with them, a young couple I met through work who later went to live in Oz. We enjoy seeing your photos of where you live and the work you did to your house, the conservatory and the garden, roll on summer The photos of the meals you cook are always a treat!
Old 2nd March 2021, 17:27   #304
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Default Green snake

Seen this afternoon in the garden "playing dead", a baby green snake.

Green Snake Kenya

Last edited by Gate Keeper; 4th March 2021 at 12:03.. Reason: spelling
Old 5th March 2021, 07:35   #305
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Yesterday, when I posted the above photo on a Kenyan Reunited group on Facebook asking for the I.D, in reply I received 90 comments which included snake anti-cruelty remarks. One asked if I could measure the head of the snake and get a close up, well easier said than done. I have never killed a snake in my life. There are many here in our forest and sometimes one gets into the house.

The last one we had, was downstairs in the lounge and it was a baby black snake about 2 feet long. The snake went behind the curtains of the patio doors. I opened up the patio sliding doors and used a broom to sweep the snake outside. The snake was not harmed.

One poster on the Facebook group tried to turn my question asking about identity into the “murder of the snake”. At that point, I turned commenting off.

The general consensus is that it not a Green Mamba but it is in fact a harmless Tree Snake.
Old 5th March 2021, 08:15   #306
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Yesterday, when I posted the above photo on a Kenyan Reunited group on Facebook asking for the I.D, in reply I received 90 comments which included snake anti-cruelty remarks. One asked if I could measure the head of the snake and get a close up, well easier said than done. I have never killed a snake in my life. There are many here in our forest and sometimes one gets into the house.

The last one we had, was downstairs in the lounge and it was a baby black snake about 2 feet long. The snake went behind the curtains of the patio doors. I opened up the patio sliding doors and used a broom to sweep the snake outside. The snake was not harmed.

One poster on the Facebook group tried to turn my question asking about identity into the “murder of the snake”. At that point, I turned commenting off.

The general consensus is that it not a Green Mamba but it is in fact a harmless Tree Snake.
It's a sad reflection on modern communication and media, but don't worry until you get a letter of complaint, from a snake.
Strong colour though in the wild, great camouflage.
Take care Phil.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2021, 07:29   #307
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
It's a sad reflection on modern communication and media, but don't worry until you get a letter of complaint, from a snake.
Strong colour though in the wild, great camouflage.
Take care Phil.
How true

Fred, thank you for your comments. Another creature which we get here and is difficult to see, because of its camouflage, is the Chameleon.
Old 6th March 2021, 09:00   #308
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Now that is a fascinating beastie Phil!
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2021, 16:33   #309
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Seen in the garden over the weekend. All phone photos at 8mp

Rosa Julianna

Tree Dahlia

Tree Dahlia

Bird table and Agapanthus

Hibiscus

Nasturtium

Petrea Volubilis Flowers

Old 29th March 2021, 11:55   #310
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

We heard through the grape vine about Astrazenica vaccinations being offered for free to the general public the day before. So on day 2, I took some photos whilst in the vaccination queue at Mutuini Hospital, a government state hospital, Kikuyu Rd, near Dagoretti Market, Kenya, about 20 miles from where we live.

The gates opened at 6 a.m We arrived at 08:30 to join a queue of around 600.

Later on the vaccine arrived packed in what looked to me to be dry ice in cool boxes in an emergency ambulance. This went to the Kenya Red Cross tent in the hospital grounds.

Despite the size of the queue and the heat 32C, everyone was patient and mostly no one complained about the long wait. Behind us were a group of nuns and clergy singing hymns and being jovial.

A couple of guys arrived pushing their way to the front. When they kicked up a fuss, shouting in German they were told to get to the back of the queue. 3 hours later, we were ushered to the front, I guess because of our age etc,

After being vaccinated, there was another smaller queue to have our Yellow Fever Vaccination book signed, batch number, then another queue upstairs in the main hospital building, to have the vaccination book stamped with a hospital stamp. We were told we will be sent a text message telling us when to come for the 2nd dose. No after effects from the jab. We have been given the 25th May for the second dose and a text message will be sent with the invitation to attend.

A relief!

Covid vaccination

Queue behind

Kenya Red Cross tent in the grounds of the hospital.

vaccination book

Last edited by Gate Keeper; 29th March 2021 at 12:00..