Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th May 2021, 16:10   #1
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Default Carshark waterless wash and shine

Must confess as a late going to bed sort of person I'm a bit of a sucker for the occasional teleshopping demo and almost inevitable subsequent needless purchase ( Yes I am fully Mulberry silk duvet and mattress toppered up after resisting for months, very nice too)

So the old Carshark waterless car wash and shine demo on Ideal World caught my eye last week ( originally the Williams waterless stuff I understand)

Now I'm not a fanatic about cleaning and detailing my car but pop down to Morrisons for the jet wash treatment every now and again because I find it rather therapeutic and it gets some of the grime off.

I have used a couple of the waterless clean and polish items for cleaning the car on my drive to avoid bothering to drag the hose all the way round from my back garden over the years, Showroom Shine and Triplewax spring to mind and they do a reasonably decent job to my admittedly rather superficial standards to be fair.( I have read all the 'they grind the grit into your car etc etc' stuff but I've never really seen anything that particularly concerns me on my cars in the past)

So watching the Carshark demo and seeing two 5 litre containers for sale at £20 and fascinated by the fact that I can now apparently set fire to the bonnet of my car without damaging the paintwork after the Carshark treatment I sent off for some which arrived over the weekend.

I must say, very impressive. A quick spray on and wipe over to get rid of the dirt and tar spots followed by another quick wipe over with a drier cleaner cloth and job done, the car is absolutely sparkling.

One drawback with the other waterless products that I have used in the past that I have found is that there's always white powder residue patches that you keep spotting for a couple of days after which you missed on the second rub. That doesn't seem to be a feature of the Carshark stuff.

No pictures I'm afraid, just think very shiny 18 year old Wedgewood Blue Rover 75 Mk1 with sunroof as featured on the rotating opening page of this site.

Quick edit..... does anyone have any suggestions for the best alloy wheel cleaner for really baked on alloys? I can never get mine fully clean.

Last edited by bendrick; 24th May 2021 at 16:55..
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2021, 19:50   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I cannot get it out of my head that unless the "grit" is washed off, waterless wash with a "rag" is not going to scratch the paint.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2021, 20:14   #3
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I cannot get it out of my head that unless the "grit" is washed off, waterless wash with a "rag" is not going to scratch the paint.

macafee2
Well quite straightforward really as the guy on the telly explained, the nanoparticles in the fluid wraps around the bits of grit lifts them off the surface of the car and cushions the paintwork whilst you wipe away.

No I didn't believe it either.

However with 18 year old paintwork that doesn't seem to have any to the eye adverse reaction or scratches resulting from the stuff I'm quite happy using it.
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2021, 20:24   #4
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendrick View Post
Well quite straightforward really as the guy on the telly explained, the nanoparticles in the fluid wraps around the bits of grit lifts them off the surface of the car and cushions the paintwork whilst you wipe away.

No I didn't believe it either.

However with 18 year old paintwork that doesn't seem to have any to the eye adverse reaction or scratches resulting from the stuff I'm quite happy using it.
I've used "waterless" in the past (other products available) and have seen it used at the shows if the vehicle has been driven there and is dusty. Not used it enough times to see if there is paint degradation with the use of it.

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2021, 20:29   #5
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

emery cloth might be cheaper....
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2021, 22:14   #6
DRWMGTF
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur, Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
emery cloth might be cheaper....
"Oh ye of little faith"
DRWMGTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2021, 22:31   #7
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

How good does it remove baked on bird dung? Just remembered that I have a squirty bottle of this type of cleaner somewhere that I bought from Aldi in recent years but yet to try.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2021, 23:10   #8
AndrewJames
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
How good does it remove baked on bird dung? Just remembered that I have a squirty bottle of this type of cleaner somewhere that I bought from Aldi in recent years but yet to try.
I've got the one from aldi. I use the jetwash for normal cleaning but then sometimes the aldi stuff afterwards to give it a bit of a shine. Honestly it's actually pretty good and takes almost no effort whatsoever. The shine only lasts a couple of weeks but it makes the car look good. I've tried a few proper waxes in the past and always end up wishing I hadn't started
AndrewJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2021, 04:49   #9
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Use iron x for the alloys, it’ll get them clean.
Old 25th May 2021, 07:02   #10
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

Been using the TV channel Williams branded stuff for ages, as it's a good polish, and easy to use at shows, ( not a lot recently , )

There is some rubbish waterless about... Eh. Turtle Wax

But tend to wash the car first. And always use microfiber cloths !..

Still it does work.. so don't knock til you've tried it...

And it does get dried bird poop off ..
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

Last edited by ceedy; 25th May 2021 at 07:04..
ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote