Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th June 2021, 20:02   #11
Stevie25
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

This is part of what we are up against in NI.

DECEMBER 2019:
When security minister Brandon Lewis was challenged on the subject of post-Brexit goods checks on the BBC's Andrew Marr Show, he said: "We have some checks now, with customs and live animals, things like that.
"It's right that we continue that.
But we've been very clear - there will be NO border down the Irish Sea”

NO DOUBT THIS THREAD WILL BE FULL OF SIMPLISTIC SOLUTIONS TO A VERY COMPLICATED SITUATION
Stevie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2021, 20:04   #12
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
Yes, they do it without a border! Shoot them too. And do you know what is even better, they burn their OWN neighbourhoods too!!

They tried to blockade by setting fire to wheelie bins in their own areas (loyalist) two months ago, with the cover of 'no irish sea border' as their slogan. Am trying not to get annoyed by the ridiculousness and embarrassment of it - 'they' sent kids 10-16 out to barricade the place and throw bricks at the police.

'They' (loyalists) are using a 19 year old spokesperson to speak for the loyalist community on the ni protocol! He wasnt even a twinkle in his fathers eye when the good friday agreement was signed,never mind seen the troubles! Jeez, the whole situation in terms of the troubles is a joke, and is nothing to do with heritage or tradition, but to do with smuggling, drugs and money laundering.

The eu want the restrictions/anti smuggling defence, they can employ it. It is that simple. The eu are simply being petty and pathetic as they 'lost' a subservient member and cannot afford to kick out ireland. (I am a remainer by the way lol).

Imagine this, the United kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, that would be another solution lol.

We (north and south) will invade britain and take you land, make you pay rent on it, and pay tithes to our churches mwah ha ha......

Northern ireland makes the best sausages lol if you can, try a denny or cookstown sausage

Another thing the eu didnt think of, is where they will get their KFC from

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk
during all the troubles I wondered how on earth the good people of Ireland managed? Never sure if they went out if they would be coming home.

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2021, 20:34   #13
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
during all the troubles I wondered how on earth the good people of Ireland managed? Never sure if they went out if they would be coming home.

macafee2
Going to the bus stop for school, we would duck down behind the sand bags and run to the next wall, until we got to the bus stop, which we hid behind. Using a stick to poke out from behind to alert the bus driver to stop.

In Ireland it wasnt bad at all, in Northern Ireland there were occasional issues, but nowhere near as bad as you would think - remember, you only heard of us when a bomb went off, just think how often that actually was. You certainly would not have the doubt in your mind of 'may not come home'! Just as you wouldnt think of not coming home because of a violent crime or car accident. I actually reckon it would be more frightening and dangerous walking through parts of most British cities - I believe figures would back this up (check out the 2019 crime figures for Greater Manchester as an example HERE], you could knock 20% to give a very rough comparison for population). I also imagine, there is more actual trouble in these cities in regards to gangs, knife crime, drugs and the likes.

The 'troubles' by the way, still exist, or rather the perpetrators and their organisations, but exist for financial gain, legally (charitable contributions to 'community groups') and illegally (drugs and other crime) without the mask of some 300 year old principle.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 9th June 2021 at 20:38..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2021, 12:56   #14
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

For the most part and most areas life was quite normal. There were some things that were or could be considered as being 'different' (fortified police stations, or random check points for cars and vans as exqmples) but on the whole it was and still is a relatively normal place to live.

When people come here (more so in the 80s and 90s) the comments I hear are 'it's so different to what imagined'. They imagine(d) a literal war zone. There were some 'occurrences' of course, but there were and are more bomb scares in NYC than here! I just want people to know how beautiful, normal and actually safer a place it is to visit than even london, or Manchester.

I know it isn't relevant to the topic, but macafees comment concerned me. Besides we want more tourists, they can bring sausages that we dont need. (Seriously, search for the companies denny and cookstown lol). As well as this, when tourism resumes, they will go to the south as well or vice versa, and that will prove the issue of borders.

Old 10th June 2021, 13:22   #15
Georgies Dad
This is my second home

Land Rover

Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,979 Posts

I have visited Northern Ireland several times,I have friends who I met from my time at Royal Mail and used to meet them for fishing etc.

Shaun lives in Larne and Sammy lives in Ballynure,Ballymoney.

What I will say to those who have never visited that it is a wonderful place to go to,the North Antrim Coast is the most wonderful and magical place on Earth.

As for the sausages,Shaun always fed us with local Sausages, Bacon. Eggs and Potato cakes for breakfast etc and they are wonderful

I have been visiting since 1986 never witnessed anything other than kindness and great hospitalty from the people of Northern Ireland.

Steve and Georgie

Together Forever

Lonely days are long
Twilight sings a song
All the happiness that used to be

Soon my eyes will close
Soon I'll find repose
And in dreams, you're always near to me

I'll see you in my dreams
And then I'll hold you in my dreams

Last edited by Georgies Dad; 10th June 2021 at 13:26..
Georgies Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2021, 14:09   #16
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Going to bring a new level to "Stop, Search, Seize" about Irish Customs Officers. "Never mind the cocaine in the lining of your bag, can you explain the five packs of M&S pork sausages?".

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2021, 14:53   #17
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgies Dad View Post
I have visited Northern Ireland several times,I have friends who I met from my time at Royal Mail and used to meet them for fishing etc.

Shaun lives in Larne and Sammy lives in Ballynure,Ballymoney.

What I will say to those who have never visited that it is a wonderful place to go to,the North Antrim Coast is the most wonderful and magical place on Earth.

As for the sausages,Shaun always fed us with local Sausages, Bacon. Eggs and Potato cakes for breakfast etc and they are wonderful

I have been visiting since 1986 never witnessed anything other than kindness and great hospitalty from the people of Northern Ireland.
Dont forget the soda bread too cant beat a sausage soda with a slice of potato bread and some.brown sauce (my arteries just twitches typing that lol)

Old 10th June 2021, 14:54   #18
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
Going to bring a new level to "Stop, Search, Seize" about Irish Customs Officers. "Never mind the cocaine in the lining of your bag, can you explain the five packs of M&S pork sausages?".
That was how it was in the 50s, 60s and 70s! It was more relaxed in the 80s though.

Old 10th June 2021, 15:58   #19
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie25 View Post
All of this is the out workings of Brexit.
Despite 3 former Prime Minsters warning against all of this, it was totally ignored
The British Govt knew what the implications were ..... I think it’s disingenuous to suggest otherwise “ former DExEU Perm Sec on the N Ireland protocol which Boris Johnson agreed to & now seeks to renege on.
The UK have left the EU, it’s the consequences of Brexit they’re finding difficult dealing with. They want everyone else to sort out their own mess and to treat them in a special way. But this is big boy stuff.
If you sign up to international treaties you are expected to abide by them.
UNLESS SOMETHING IS SORTED, WE IN NORTHERN IRELAND COULD PAY A VERY HIGH PRICE
That is the problem in a nutshell. Negotiate the UK out of the EU but fail to include NI and this has created all sorts of stupidities. It should have been all of the UK out and let the EU solve the border issues.

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2021, 16:05   #20
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

They were quite happy to throw Greece under a fleet of buses! Still in the "club" though.

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote