Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th July 2021, 11:29   #11
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
I thinkyou meant 'Vauxhall is Opel', it's all now irrelavent anyway since they were both GM (apparently according to one learned historian I've just read) GM was a German company (so who made all them Shermans during the war) and now - I'm really not sure but what's left of Vauxhall in the UK is now Stellantis which until recently was PSA (earlier itteration was Peugeot Citroen) and......
I thought Vauxhall (commercial anyway) is now PSA!

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2021, 17:54   #12
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
I think you meant 'Vauxhall is Opel', it's all now irrelevent anyway since they were both GM (apparently according to one learned historian I've just read) GM was a German company (so who made all them Shermans during the war) and now - I'm really not sure but what's left of Vauxhall in the UK is now Stellantis which until recently was PSA (earlier itteration was Peugeot Citroen) and......
Renault------

PS. What's itteration mean ???
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2021, 21:11   #13
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

Quote:
I thinkyou meant 'Vauxhall is Opel', it's all now irrelavent anyway since they were both GM (apparently according to one learned historian I've just read) GM was a German company (so who made all them Shermans during the war) and now - I'm really not sure but what's left of Vauxhall in the UK is now Stellantis which until recently was PSA (earlier itteration was Peugeot Citroen) and......
Vauxhall was owned by GM and, rather than being a German company, General Motors, of Detroit, are an American company.
They owned Vauxhall from 1925 to 2017, so showed a bit more commitment to British motorcar manufacture than some German companies, such as BMW.
The Sherman tank is also from the USA.

During the war, Vauxhall did manufacture the Churchill tank and Bedford trucks for the military.

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2021, 23:23   #14
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robson Rover Repair View Post
I don't think people realise the significance of it.

Here in Northern Ireland your car will be burned out if you have a GB sticker on it in the wrong area. I've been chased out of areas for having a UK mainland plate when I was younger and not a Northern Ireland plate.

Plenty even put IRL badges on their Northern Ireland cars and are then incorrectly insured for accidents that occur. It's even worse, the absolute extreme will even bring an OPEL into Northern Ireland, import it, and drive it just to prove their loyalty lies outside of the UK.

Plenty of local owners will confirm this. I previously travelled on a NI badge, which during my travel was ratified by the EU as unacceptable mid 2015 ish mid journey so I had to try and find a GB badge in France of all places for my insurance!

Having a single UK badge is a big thing, and frankly it will solve a lot of issues here, especially with those who will be legally required to have one.

The most you folks have to worry about is a bit of English / Scottish banter. It's massively different for us here
to be fair, it is not half as bad as it used to be, regarding english plates. Dealers, for the past ten years or so, have become lazy regarding re-registering 'pre-registered' cars. Or the influx of cheaper english cars with 'Just out of England, mainly motorway miles' being sold by the back street dealers.

But I still wouldnt park a car with a GB/UK sticker on the Falls, or IRL on the Shankill lol. Would even be nervous with an IL or UI plate on a car there too - an old manager of mine had his tyres slashed whilst parked on the Shankill (the main road, not in a residential street, with the police suggesting that it was either mistaken identity or the UI plate).

When I first got the ZT, I had to go to a conference at the Met, on the Springfield Road, to which I was told there was no parking. I looked in to removing the chequered union flags from the rear for the risk of vandalism. Found out it had onsite parking, so didnt have to do anything. But they have faded now, and have no intention of replacing them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

With regards to UK/GB stickers, the more correct label should be UK anyway (UK = Great Britain and Northern Ireland, although probably better represented would be BI for British Isles - but then that would be divisive too not just in NI, but as the BI includes Ireland, it would probably start a war lol). I thought this had been agreed at some level though, early in negotiations regarding the rules of driving in EU countries after Brexit (eg from Northern to Southern Ireland).

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2021, 00:22   #15
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

I believe now, the JVC branded televisions, are actually now an own brand for the Dixons Group now in the UK, with nothing to do with the JVC company or JVCKenwood as they are now. effectively Matsui TVs with a prestige name.

LINK

Old 15th July 2021, 14:53   #16
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorset Bob View Post
Vauxhall was owned by GM and, rather than being a German company, General Motors, of Detroit, are an American company.
They owned Vauxhall from 1925 to 2017, so showed a bit more commitment to British motorcar manufacture than some German companies, such as BMW.
The Sherman tank is also from the USA.

During the war, Vauxhall did manufacture the Churchill tank and Bedford trucks for the military.
I was making the point that if GM was a 'German' companythen who was it that made 1000's of Shermnan tanks - a German company??
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2021, 16:05   #17
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

My daughter and her Irish (County Clare) husband have toured the Republic several times in their English registered car. Never had a single trouble anywhere. Lucky I guess.

Some of the posts above are eye-openers to say the least, especially with the latest news about a new agreement and the associated fuss. I now listen to my Furies records with renewed interest.
Old 15th July 2021, 17:49   #18
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
My daughter and her Irish (County Clare) husband have toured the Republic several times in their English registered car. Never had a single trouble anywhere. Lucky I guess.

Some of the posts above are eye-openers to say the least, especially with the latest news about a new agreement and the associated fuss. I now listen to my Furies records with renewed interest.
Southern ireland are less bitter (to the point of being non existent) than some parts of northern Ireland, but I would not expect any issues with a mainland plate in the south.

They are two different countries (with different narratives on history too lol).

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Last edited by clf; 15th July 2021 at 17:51..
Old 15th July 2021, 18:11   #19
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

I take your point Alan and admire your magnanimity. I have no personal experience of NI reality other than the horror from the English press down the years. However, in the broadest sense, I equate the rabid sectarianism with subjects such as racism and most of the other 'isms'. It seems no matter what is offered, other than complete capitulation, it will never be enough. A tragedy whatever the outcome.
Old 15th July 2021, 18:48   #20
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
I was making the point that if GM was a 'German' company then who was it that made 1000's of Sherman tanks - a German company??
Sorry, but I'm now confused by both your posts.----:shrug

And, as I said in the earlier post, what is itteration please ??

Last edited by COLVERT; 16th July 2021 at 19:18..
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote