Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th August 2021, 03:39   #81
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Can anyone recommend a tyre that may actually make it to 6 years old without cracking? As I said last week in a post about my MOT, the tester mentioned that I should keep an eye on the rear tyres as there is signs of them beginning to crack. These are probably only about 3 to 3 1/2 years old and have plenty of tread. It appears that these days you have to change tyres because they are starting to fall apart well before they are worn out.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2021, 05:05   #82
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

15 or so years ago I bought a very early TR7 with a set of hardly worn Pirelli P6 tyres on it. Lots of tread, no cracking whatsoever. The car went well after a bit (quite a bit!) of mechanical attention. It had decent power, enough to spin the tyres in first and second gears. Pretty good I thought. The car handled alright in rainy conditions, but when the temperature got cold it became quite treacherous. I had a 5 mile flat commute to work and tried to drive it to work in light snow...once. At the first traffic light I was hardly able to climb over the road's crown and turning led to massive oversteer. I got one block from my house and managed to turn around and make it back home.
Later I checked the date on the tyres...23 years old! No wonder they turned to stone when the temp dropped!
Old 9th August 2021, 05:28   #83
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in Vancouver View Post
15 or so years ago I bought a very early TR7 with a set of hardly worn Pirelli P6 tyres on it. Lots of tread, no cracking whatsoever. The car went well after a bit (quite a bit!) of mechanical attention. It had decent power, enough to spin the tyres in first and second gears. Pretty good I thought. The car handled alright in rainy conditions, but when the temperature got cold it became quite treacherous. I had a 5 mile flat commute to work and tried to drive it to work in light snow...once. At the first traffic light I was hardly able to climb over the road's crown and turning led to massive oversteer. I got one block from my house and managed to turn around and make it back home.
Later I checked the date on the tyres...23 years old! No wonder they turned to stone when the temp dropped!
My TR7 was exactly the same with new rubber. The only cure was a bag or two of sand in the boot to add weight to the rear wheels and get grip.
A design quirk rather than bad tyres. Lovely car when it worked.
Old 11th August 2021, 11:29   #84
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
going to pay for a new set then?''

Wasn't there a case of an MGB driver getting killed who had used old original tyres on his car?
Yes Steve, He, however, increased speed when he felt a vibration (probably a bulge in the tyre). i've had a Conti do that which was well within three years old. Bearing the MGB experience/knowledge I don't have a problem if cracking is not present. I usually keep to 50/60 mph and always pull over to investigate "vibrations" or "clonks" when they occur on ANY car that I drive.

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2021, 12:28   #85
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Trident View Post
Can anyone recommend a tyre that may actually make it to 6 years old without cracking? As I said last week in a post about my MOT, the tester mentioned that I should keep an eye on the rear tyres as there is signs of them beginning to crack. These are probably only about 3 to 3 1/2 years old and have plenty of tread. It appears that these days you have to change tyres because they are starting to fall apart well before they are worn out.
I had this issue with a set of Avon's on my Volvo

A main brand tyre should be covered by a six year warranty. Mine were part refunded through the suppliers, Black Circles, based on tread left.

Avon told me that the issue is caused by EU regulations that restrict the compounds that are used in manufacture i.e. inferior to those available in the past. Most cars doing average mileage wear out before the cracks occur so it effects low mileage cars mainly like classics, cherished etc.
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2021, 06:37   #86
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobSun View Post
I had this issue with a set of Avon's on my Volvo

A main brand tyre should be covered by a six year warranty. Mine were part refunded through the suppliers, Black Circles, based on tread left.

Avon told me that the issue is caused by EU regulations that restrict the compounds that are used in manufacture i.e. inferior to those available in the past. Most cars doing average mileage wear out before the cracks occur so it effects low mileage cars mainly like classics, cherished etc.
Never had issues with Avon's but with a 260 they only last for 18 months. With us out of the EU now perhaps there is scope for Cooper Tires to amend the compounds but don't hold your breath.

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2022, 08:09   #87
Bartonrover
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT & V6 saloons in Wedgwood

Default Cracking Tyres .... Grommit...

Set of Avons fitted to my V6 in Sept '19 - done only 10k mls since. Dot code says manufactured January 2019. MOT Advisory: severe cracking on all 4. Yes it's quite extensive.

I had no idea I had this problem - I check them frequently but being the wrong side of 70 and without my reading glasses, all I ever saw was plenty of tread which is still there. Hadn't realised this was a problem especially it seems with Avons.
Bartonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2022, 08:25   #88
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

This problem happens with various brands including Dunlop and Michelin.

I would complain to Avon with a
Not fair wear & tear type notice or
Not fit for purpose etc.

We were told by one supplier that a few years ago an ingredient added to the rubber as a preservative was banned for environmental reasons, which would explain a lot.

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2022, 08:35   #89
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartonrover View Post
Set of Avons fitted to my V6 in Sept '19 - done only 10k mls since. Dot code says manufactured January 2019. MOT Advisory: severe cracking on all 4. Yes it's quite extensive.

I had no idea I had this problem - I check them frequently but being the wrong side of 70 and without my reading glasses, all I ever saw was plenty of tread which is still there. Hadn't realised this was a problem especially it seems with Avons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
This problem happens with various brands including Dunlop and Michelin.

I would complain to Avon with a
Not fair wear & tear type notice or
Not fit for purpose etc.

We were told by one supplier that a few years ago an ingredient added to the rubber as a preservative was banned for environmental reasons, which would explain a lot.
I have to agree with jules, a letter to Avon, or take the car to the place you purchased them from and let them deal with it.

Trouble is with some of these tyres places they will want to send one or even all the tyres back to Avon to have them tested and looked at, and will get you to purchase some more tyres while it's being dealt with.

Not many people are willing to go through that process, but i would, you might too ? do let us know the outcome please.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2022, 20:32   #90
gnu
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

I recently had some Falkens fitted to my ZT - I hope they last. I previously had this brand of tyre on my ZS and was very happy with their performance and durability.