Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th September 2021, 06:19   #1
BillyMG
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.5 V6 Auto Tourer (Elizabeth) / MG ZT CDTI (Farage)

Default Nissan Micra

I do a fair bit of travelling with work using hire cars and usually get a decent sized automatic. This week the hire company rang me up and said they only had a manual 1.0 micra left - I was a bit peeved as I was doing 500 miles over 2 days but sucked it up buttercup and was seriously amazed by the speed out of that little motor! Literally a pocket rocket and nothing like the micra I learned to drive in 20 years ago - I couldn't believe it! It was actually good fun racing it round like Mario kart lol and it kept up with the best of them. Anyway it got me to thinking surely those engines can't last any significant amount of time with that output?? This one only had 12k on it and wasn't idling correctly. I'm sure there was a bit of a miss somewhere between 70 and 75 too. But when I returned home after flooring it for 2 days I'd averaged 64mpg! I had no idea engine technology had come on so much in recent years - what's the catch!?
BillyMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2021, 07:07   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Perhaps I am old fashioned but I dont consider a 1 litre engine a long distance car, more of a town car particularly with 4 people in them. Yes they will do long distances and keep up with traffic but I am not convinced that these size engines will take the strain day after day after day and last the distance.

Now for people to the list 1 litre or less engines with over 100,000 miles on the clock

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2021, 07:16   #3
Norman2CV
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon. Pre Production.

My daily driver is a 1972 Citroen Dyane 4 with an air cooled 435cc engine ! It has done over 120000 km and starts and runs like a sewing machine ! Admittedly I do also have a Volvo 940 for long runs and towing but locally the Citroen is perfect . Must be one of the smallest engine cars around, unless you know different ?
Norman2CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2021, 08:43   #4
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Our daily driver is a 2016 Dacia Sandero Stepway which uses a turbo charged 900cc 3 pot Renault engine, it drives like a 2.0 litre and can keep up with the big boy stuff.

It's surprising really because it's not a small car, more medium sized with rugged SUV styling. The bonus is the raised driving position, something small engine cars just don't have, it still amazes me how the little 900cc engine does it.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2021, 09:11   #5
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman2CV View Post
My daily driver is a 1972 Citroen Dyane 4 with an air cooled 435cc engine ! It has done over 120000 km and starts and runs like a sewing machine ! Admittedly I do also have a Volvo 940 for long runs and towing but locally the Citroen is perfect . Must be one of the smallest engine cars around, unless you know different ?
Nice one Norm! Saw a Dyane 4 at the Harpenden Classics on the Common on Wednesday. Very rare car now I would think!

We all (macafee, yourself and little 'ole me) seem to be in agreement about small engines not good enough for constant long distances but I wonder if the statistics would prove us right or wrong? After all they say most engine wear is done on start-up, followed by cold engine. Motorway is a constant temp and thus less wear?

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2021, 07:15   #6
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

We recently purchased a Citroen C1, 1000 engine made by Toyota.

It is truly amazing for what it is. Very lively off the mark, and very often leaves much bigger cars behind from the lights, it would leave my re mapped diesel 75 with no problem.

It has very high gear ratio's so the engine doesn't sound to be doing much at at 70 mph. The trip computer also shows that while cruising at 70 ish it is returning 65 to 70 mpg.

As for engine life, there are a few owners with over 200k on their forum.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2021, 08:37   #7
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
Our daily driver is a 2016 Dacia Sandero Stepway which uses a turbo charged 900cc 3 pot Renault engine, it drives like a 2.0 litre and can keep up with the big boy stuff.

It's surprising really because it's not a small car, more medium sized with rugged SUV styling. The bonus is the raised driving position, something small engine cars just don't have, it still amazes me how the little 900cc engine does it.

This is the same engine that has been around since 2013 in the clio 0.9tce. It has always been identified as the best engine in the clio and I don't believe there are horror stories of the engines blowing up due to stress or wear.

I certainly would not buy a 1.0l Mondeo sized car but these small engines are well suited to smaller cars.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2021, 08:48   #8
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Based on nothing more than it sounds right then:

Little engine + little car =

Big engine + big car =

Big engine + little car =

Little engine + big car =

Little engine + big car + big mileages =

Over my decades of motoring there's always seemed to be a sweet spot in every range where the engine size has matched the chassis dynamics. From memory the Peugeot 1.6 205GTi was a "nicer" overall car than the 1.9GTi. And it's often been said on here that the 1.8T gives the nicest overall package.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

Last edited by AndyN01; 26th September 2021 at 09:08..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2021, 11:50   #9
Discofan
Loves to post

(Land)Rover Freelander 2

My sons 1 litre 3 cylinder VW Up with only 60hp was no ball of fire, the 115 hp turbocharged version is meant to be a hoot.
Discofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2021, 13:40   #10
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Trident View Post
We recently purchased a Citroen C1, 1000 engine made by Toyota.

It is truly amazing for what it is. Very lively off the mark, and very often leaves much bigger cars behind from the lights, it would leave my re mapped diesel 75 with no problem.

It has very high gear ratio's so the engine doesn't sound to be doing much at at 70 mph. The trip computer also shows that while cruising at 70 ish it is returning 65 to 70 mpg.

As for engine life, there are a few owners with over 200k on their forum.
you have probably seen it already, the project Binky guys entered a race series with one HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
This is the same engine that has been around since 2013 in the clio 0.9tce. It has always been identified as the best engine in the clio and I don't believe there are horror stories of the engines blowing up due to stress or wear.

I certainly would not buy a 1.0l Mondeo sized car but these small engines are well suited to smaller cars.
What about a GLA Merc? (see below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post

It seems to be the way manufacturers are going. Emissions seem to be driving this. But the surprising thing about it is the power coming from some of these engines. It is this I fear, will lead to their relatively 'early' demise, and turning them into even more disposable items in the future (along with the attitude of 'it will be fine it can be recycled'). The joys of small engines, whack a turbo on it and suddenly you have an engine that can keep up with traffic. The heat and stresses combined with lighter materials cannot end well surely?

GLA Merc mentioned above, has an option of a 1.3 litre (turbo of course) that produces 250Nm of torque with 160 PS (according to Wikipedia). Put that into context, The Rover 75 2.5 V6 is, or was, 240Nm and 177PS! (Wikipedia)and to top that off, it is Renault/Nissan developed these engines!

I cannot believe these engines are capable of interstellar miles, that their forebears were, but I just hope they I am wrong.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As an aside, badge engineering has reached shock levels in my mind, the X-Class. Mercedes? No, actually a Renault/Nissan.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote