Notices

Old 6th October 2021, 12:25   #11
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
so you are saying that at 1 mile, if the sign shows lane one goes off then at 1 mile, lane 1 becomes a slip road, is that right? What about the white line markings between lane 1 and 2, if they do not differ between what was before and what is after the sign until about 300 yards from where lane one veers off, does that make a difference or will you still go by the sign?

macafee2

Roadcraft, the Police bible has an acronym (sorry if this is teaching granny to suck eggs):

IPSGA

I - Information

P - Position

S - Speed

G - Gear

A - Accelerate

So, as soon as you see the "Information" in the road sign, that's then the time to plan a safe change to your position.

Information has sub layers: Take, Use, Give.

Take information in such as the road sign, traffic, what's behind you etc. etc.

Use that information to plan what you do next.

Give information out - such as indicators to give other road users information that you're wishing to change lanes.

Go back to Information.......

Information - Take (mirrors/shoulder check) - is there a suitable gap?

Information - Use - yes there's a gap

Information - Give - yes, my indicator is still on.

Position - plan to move across

Speed - does it need to change?

Gear - if speed needs to change then do I need a different gear?

Acceleration - or possibly deceleration - to safely change lanes.

Information - all OK for a safe and considerate lane change? Yes?

Position - change lanes

Speed - is it still appropriate - the earlier Information will have allowed you to assess the speed and flow of the traffic in the lane you're moving into and adjust yours accordingly.

Gear - is it still appropriate

Acceleration - needed? Or not?

Information - what's new? More signs, changes to the traffic flow etc. etc.

and so on........

This, obviously, takes massively longer to type and read than to do but I'm sure you get the idea.

The earlier you get the information the more time you have to plan and the better and less stressful your journey will be.

So, after all that, I'd be looking to change lanes as soon as safely possible after I'd seen the sign.

After all, everyone has seen the sign, so their use of Information would be something like.... There's a slip road coming up, so I need to be awake and alert to the possibility of other vehicles wishing to change lanes. Maybe it would be safe and sensible to create a bigger gap as I can see vehicles in that lane who might wish to change? Or maybe I can see a vehicle charging down Lane 3 with their left hand indicator on so perhaps they wish to use the slip road. Do I need to change speed to allow them a safer exit? Etc. Etc.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

Last edited by AndyN01; 6th October 2021 at 14:33..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2021, 14:10   #12
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

Thank you Andy for putting inn this time consuming effort.

Remember kids; Lane one for driving in. Th other lanes are for overtaking.. Simple really.
Old 6th October 2021, 16:25   #13
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil th Barrow View Post
Sorry for been a broken record... But. lane one is for driving inn. Th others are for overtaking. "Lane hogging" carries a #100 fine and 3 points.. Lorry drivers/reps/coach drivers/law abiding cars ect who obay th law in general follow this rule... So why carnt anyone else??
ya ya I get that but going back to the op, at what point does lane 1 become the slip road. Perhaps no matter how log the slip lane is and I tend to go by the slip lane being where the shorter white lines are i must not be in it if not going off.

So where does the slip lane start? At the 1 mile marker and sign showing lane 1 veers off or where the shorter white lines are?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2021, 20:26   #14
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

You have countdown markers for the Slip Road Marked with 3,2,and one 1 stripes. The slip road begins after the "1" marker. You use the markers to adjust your speed and position on the approach to the "Slip Road.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2021, 21:21   #15
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
Possibly not.

But how about the car in Lane 3 of a 4 lane motorway doing 65mph while Lanes 1 and 2 (and often 4 as well) are empty?

I do know it's a pain when you're wafting along nicely with the cruise set at 70mph and have to go from Lane 1, to 2, to 3, to 4 to overtake them and then back to lane 3 and 2 and 1 to resume the wafting along in a still empty Lane 1.
I gave up doing that a few years ago. I'm through on the inside all night (& day) long, in lorry or car with barely a check in speed.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2021, 07:33   #16
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

As for Lane Markings these help:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-high.../road-markings

Picking up on "Information" (and this applies at all roads) you'll mostly see "Lane Dividers" the short line followed by a large gap.

If this changes then that's Information to used. There are, of course, technical standards about the width of the line, its length, the distance between them etc.

So, if the lane divider becomes a "Hazard Warning Line" (the opposite of a lane divider, long line, short gap) then there's a hazard of some sort up ahead. That hazard, in this case, is the slip road.

I'd want to be in the correct Lane as soon as possible after the hazard line starts and earlier if there's other Information to help out with Position.

I use a different plan of action to Number 6. ".....You use the markers to adjust your speed and position (my highlighting) on the approach to the "Slip Road....."

I'd rather have about a minute to get into position (From the information - the Road Sign) than using the 3, 2, 1, exit markers which at 70mph gives just 9 seconds to get into position.

Obviously you make your own choices and create your own plan. Think of all those Police Camera Action shows where we see someone in Lane 3 diving across to try and make an exit.

If I've misinterpreted then apologies in advance.

For fun, have a look at the lines on some roads you know and see what changes and when it changes, particularly where there are bends, dips, crests etc.

And one tip.....

Generally the more markings on the approach to a hazard, the greater the danger.

Last edited by AndyN01; 7th October 2021 at 07:47..
Old 7th October 2021, 07:53   #17
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
As for Lane Markings these help:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-high.../road-markings

Picking up on "Information" (and this applies at all roads) you'll mostly see "Lane Dividers" the short line followed by a large gap.

If this changes then that's Information to used. There are, of course, technical standards about the width of the line, its length, the distance between them etc.

So, if the lane divider becomes a "Hazard Warning Line" (the opposite of a lane divider, long line, short gap) then there's a hazard of some sort up ahead. That hazard, in this case, is the slip road.

I'd want to be in the correct Lane as soon as possible after the hazard line starts and earlier if there's other Information to help out with Position.

I use a different plan of action to Number 6. ".....You use the markers to adjust your speed and position (my highlighting) on the approach to the "Slip Road....."

I'd rather have about a minute to get into position (From the information - the Road Sign) than using the 3, 2, 1, exit markers which at 70mph gives just 9 seconds to get into position.

Obviously you make your own choices and create your own plan. Think of all those Police Camera Action shows where we see someone in Lane 3 diving across to try and make an exit.

If I've misinterpreted then apologies in advance.

For fun, have a look at the lines on some roads you know and see what changes and when it changes, particularly where there are bends, dips, crests etc.

And one tip.....

Generally the more markings on the approach to a hazard, the greater the danger.

i did a driver awareness course, not because i'd been naughty but i NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- the chance to pay and do one, they too mentioned "the more markings on the approach to a hazard, the greater the danger". To me that was a new way of thinking and it stuck with me.

Tried the link but nothing about slip lane markings, those short white lines. Cant find anything from my search at the internet

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2021, 08:10   #18
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Quote:
Tried the link but nothing about slip lane markings, those short white lines. Cant find anything from my search at the internet

macafee2

AFAIK Lane Markings are universal for all roads.

But you've raised a good point that the lines on a normal slip road go from solid white between the hard shoulder (if there is one - whole different discussion ) and Lane 1 to the short line, short gap of the slip road.

I need to do a bit more digging.

Old 7th October 2021, 08:44   #19
spongeh
Loves to post

MG ZT-T+ 180 Sport Auto

Quote:
See Highway Code rule 266
You are on a motorway. You are 1 mile from a junction. The road sign shows lane one goes off, lane 2 and 3 carry on. The white lines between lane 1 and 2 do not change.
When does lane 1 become a slip lane?
At the mile marker?
When the white lines between 1 and 2 change?

At what point should you change to lane 2? At the mile marker or some safe point before the white lines change, bear in mind moving to lane 2 if lane 1 is not a slip lane may impede traffic as some vehicles cannot move to lane 3 to overtake and if they undertake could be done for due care and attention or something like that. Lane 1 and 2 may now bunch.

For me, moving to lane 2 is condition dependent. Light traffic and easy to move to lane 2 wait until close to where white lines change. If heavy traffic and risk I may struggle to get to lane 2, move "early"

macafee2
There is no requirement to move to lane 2 from lane 1 when passing a slip road, it is the driver joining the motorways responsibility to give when to existing traffic in lane one, NOT the responsibility of the driver in lane 1 to give way.

Rule 259
Joining the motorway. When you join the motorway you will normally approach it from a road on the left (a slip road) or from an adjoining motorway. You should
  • give priority to traffic already on the motorway
  • check the traffic on the motorway and match your speed to fit safely into the traffic flow in the left-hand lane
  • not cross solid white lines that separate lanes or use the hard shoulder
  • stay on the slip road if it continues as an extra lane on the motorway
  • remain in the left-hand lane long enough to adjust to the speed of traffic before considering overtaking.

Just reread your original post.... lane 1 becomes the slip road at the point that the lane dividers change, usually getting thicker and closer together.

When coming off the motorway where lane 1 does become the slip road, I've come across this on the M6 & A38 locally

Example of the road marking changing 1/2 mile from Junction 4A M5

Last edited by spongeh; 7th October 2021 at 08:53..
spongeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2021, 10:33   #20
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

if I read the OP correctly the question was When does Lane one become the slip road... Lane one does not become a "Slip Road" lane one stays as lane one and the "Slip Road" starts at the END of the count down markers.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"

Last edited by Number 6; 7th October 2021 at 11:00..
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote