Notices

Old 12th October 2021, 06:41   #162121
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
The talk of formal dining in prompted me to google for the mentioned society but nothing likely seemed to crop up. Could it be "The Oddfellows" which is a near one which did crop up. If it is a bow-tie-do are clip ons permitted or are they regarded as infra dignitatem. Even a simple mistake could be costly if a breach of etiquette demands a forfeiture - like a round of drinks.
Morning all,

It probably won't show up as it is an 'By Invitation' only group and most local people don't even know of it's existence as it is not advertised.
It is the 'Fellows Society' not to be confused with the 'Oddfellows'

A quick overview.....

At the end of hostilities in WW2 the returning Officers (Army, Navy, RAF) from Clacton On Sea were rewarded for their service by an evening of entertainment including a special meal and an after dinner comedian/speaker.

The meal consisted of a home made soup and bread for starters, Suet Steak & Kidney Pie, mash and sprouts for the main course and a cheese and biscuit board with coffee/tea to finish.
Then followed the entertainment for the evening.

The Pie was made by a local family butchers and still is to this day.
The food reflected what was available in 1945 due to rations that were in place.

There were (might not be exactly correct) around 65 returning Officers in 1945 plus their invited guests.
This evening was held at the 'Royal Hotel' overlooking the Pier on the seafront in Clacton .

It was a resounding success and it was agreed that this evening would continue each year and monies raised by the ticket prices for the guests would go to local charities. This still being the case.

Sadly we lost the last two remaining original Fellows members a few years back now.
The Fellows is still limited to only the same amount of members and you have to be voted in by committee to become a member. It is a bit 'Dead Mans Shoes' so to speak. You will likely have been a guest of a member for a number of years before your name gets put forward.

I am no longer a member sadly.
I enjoyed my five years but had to 'retire' as my change in career meant I was unable to attend all of the time so felt it better to give my place up to someone else.
I still can go as guest if anyone will invite me

The Fellows is no longer held at the 'Royal Hotel' as the establishment shut some years ago and remained empty. It is now reopen but the Hotel is run separately to the restaurant which is now a Wetherspoons.
The meetings are held at Clacton Golf Club these days and are still very well attended.
Covid-19 obviously put a stop on these evenings whilst the restrictions were in place.
There are four meetings a year which run from October to March with a break in December.
They put on an extra event last month to welcome the return after a year out due to Covid.

Not sure when I shall next attend (as a guest) but hope to get along to at least one of this seasons events.

P.s. I can neither confirm nor deny any extracurricular activities that may or may not be enjoyed by the membership

Last edited by coolcat; 12th October 2021 at 06:44..
coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2021, 06:55   #162122
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Good morning everyone.

Amazing weather for the time of year, the temperature hit 24.5 degrees yesterday. We had another amazing day together, just loving having my niece here. It’s knocked a few years off of me.

Off out on another jolly today, Banana’s turn to take us out today. Strawberry done the honours yesterday as we was only local.

232750. Over 3 months since I drove Banana.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2021, 06:58   #162123
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Morning everyone.

An overcast, grey but dry start to the day.

Quizzie's off to see Bertie a bit later on so much running, chasing and playing will be on the cards.

Tea and home made cake afterwards for the humans . Then off to do some shopping.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2021, 08:03   #162124
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Morning all, grey & light rain here, I'm getting forgetful! Went to put the wheelie bins out & noticed a washing line full of soaking wet laundry I put it out to dry yesterday & forgot all about it

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2021, 11:30   #162125
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Blimey! This shopping malarkey is hard work Missus is still not right with her arthritis pain & can barely dress herself these days.
Henry's apple juice store is looking though Got some more stuff to make sushi & forgot the prawns I'm not going out again it's chucking it down now.

Old 12th October 2021, 11:55   #162126
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Still dry here.

Quizzie's back home and fast asleep .

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2021, 12:27   #162127
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Do this society's members dance naked around a fire in the middle of a field at night?

If so, I think I might have seen the group during their leisure time!

How are you Phil?
Hi Maninder I have picked myself up after a bout of over indulgence of good food and chocolate, not used to it

On Friday staff for the vascular service in Bristol rang and said the clinical director for their service had seen the scans I submitted and asked if me if it’s okay for them to request my GP to refer me to their service, for a more detailed scan of the aneurysms (it’s to do with funding).

2 weeks ago I had a vascular ultrasound scan as part of the National Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Screening which focuses detecting aneurysms through early intervention and saving lives.

People over the age of 65 are offered this service on the NHS. A triple AAA, is known as “the silent killer” because there are usually no symptoms or warning signs in people who have one until it’s too late.

Once detected, depending on the size of the aneurysm, patients who have an aneurysm go onto yearly/6 monthly/3 monthly monitoring scans, or if needed they are fast tracked for elective repairs through open surgery or endovascular surgery using a graft/stent.

Sometimes patients with aneurysms are not offered surgery because of their underlying health condition or the operation would be considered too dangerous for them to have to endure.

I checked with the GP yesterday and today, so far the practice has not received any referral requests from the hospital, so I will keep at it.

Mentally I am okay

Next weekend meeting up with Ed - Rover54 at the Ace Cafe Wembley

How are you?
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2021, 15:11   #162128
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Rains finally stopped Chicken chasseur for tea tonight

Old 12th October 2021, 17:52   #162129
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Same here Ian, been Rovering all day, tea cooking now..

Old 13th October 2021, 05:41   #162130
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Morning all,

It's dry but a rather cold 5c outside at the moment.
Fingers crossed the sun will do it's thing when it arrives