Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th October 2021, 14:36   #1
Seanalf
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Connie

Default More reverse camera questions

Hi all, appreciate this may have been asked before, but I have an Xtrons Android 8.1 unit and looking to add the reversing camera.

Wiring looks fun and I'm sure if I take my time....

But what I wanted to know was, there's mention of a Canbus Relay, but it doesn't say I definitely will or won't need it? So, should I get one? Have others fitted the camera without one, if so, how? I believe it's to do with voltage drop, but any advice offered.

It's a 75 Saloon diesel if that helps. TIA

Camera
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Born; Wednesday, 3rd October 2001 @ 16:00:16
The 34,336th 75 to run off the production line of 112,381
This was the 4,730th 75 CDT Connoisseur to be made out of 10,898
This was the 2,647th 75 in White Gold Metallic (code: GMN) to be made out of 12,251 White Gold Metallic 75s

To do
MK2 dials with IPK, FBH repair, headlining repair (again!) and some cosmetics.
Seanalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2021, 15:03   #2
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Mine was fitted when I bought her.

Can't see any sort of relay in the wiring, but there's no paperwork to show how it's been installed.

As far as I can see it's just been connected directly into the wiring for the reversing light on the driver's side.

Hopefully someone will be along shortly with some more definitive advice (which I may need too ).

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2021, 15:13   #3
Seanalf
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Connie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
Mine was fitted when I bought her.

Can't see any sort of relay in the wiring, but there's no paperwork to show how it's been installed.

As far as I can see it's just been connected directly into the wiring for the reversing light on the driver's side.

Hopefully someone will be along shortly with some more definitive advice (which I may need too ).
If your screen is working and not flicking with the engine running, then all's good.

If you know, how are the wires run from the car into the boot?

This was the 2,647th 75 in White Gold Metallic (code: GMN) to be made out of 12,251 White Gold Metallic 75s

To do
Old 12th October 2021, 15:40   #4
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Hi.

My wiring runs across in front of the driver - along the "lip" on the lower panel above your shins. Then drops down behind the cover with the bonnet release in it and all the way along the floor, under the carpet to the rear seats. There's a big set of original loom for it to follow. Then up under the bolster and along the top of the wheel arch and down into the space behind the rear light. Remember that mine is in a Tourer.

There's nothing to stop you going on the other side of the car from the passenger fuse box along under the carpet and up past the rear seats. Or even above the headlining.

I fitted a camera on a diesel saloon a few years ago and fitted the camera itself by the number plate. This cable I remember being a bit of a pig to do as it needs to go out from behind the rear seats through a grommet and into the boot lid itself. IIRC it came out into the "channel" under the rear window and then into the boot lid. And you need to feed it "backwards" from the number plate location as obviously the camera won't go through any grommet holes. Can't remember where I picked up the 12V power from though. Might have been from the fuse box?

Hope that helps.

Good Luck.

Last edited by AndyN01; 12th October 2021 at 15:57..
Old 12th October 2021, 16:08   #5
Seanalf
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Connie

Quote:
Hi.

My wiring runs across in front of the driver - along the "lip" on the lower panel above your shins. Then drops down behind the cover with the bonnet release in it and all the way along the floor, under the carpet to the rear seats. There's a big set of original loom for it to follow. Then up under the bolster and along the top of the wheel arch and down into the space behind the rear light. Remember that mine is in a Tourer.

There's nothing to stop you going on the other side of the car from the passenger fuse box along under the carpet and up past the rear seats. Or even above the headlining.

I fitted a camera on a diesel saloon a few years ago and fitted the camera itself by the number plate. This cable I remember being a bit of a pig to do as it needs to go out from behind the rear seats through a grommet and into the boot lid itself. IIRC it came out into the "channel" under the rear window and then into the boot lid. And you need to feed it "backwards" from the number plate location as obviously the camera won't go through any grommet holes. Can't remember where I picked up the 12V power from though. Might have been from the fuse box?

Hope that helps.

Good Luck.
I was thinking of the centre of the plinth on the lid or near and seeing if it will go through from there. I just hate drilling holes in the car. I could run the cable from there through the wiring tunnel into the boot to wire up.

To do
Old 13th October 2021, 06:48   #6
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

I think I went in over on the passenger side. Mirroring the one on the other side.

And yes, drilling holes in the car isn't my favourite job either.

Good Luck.

Old 15th October 2021, 14:43   #7
Seanalf
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Connie

Quote:
I think I went in over on the passenger side. Mirroring the one on the other side.

And yes, drilling holes in the car isn't my favourite job either.

Good Luck.
Right, all in and done. Removed the plinth, drilled a hole just below the number plate strip. Cable fed through (just needs a grommet to seal). Most of the whole is covered by the bottom of the plinth, but it all works!

No need for a relay using the pink reverse wire from the unit and the power from the reverse lamps etc in the tail. Cable routed through the boot and into the lid. All works and happy.

The only issue is I can get the lines on the screen, but I haven't a clue how to make them "dynamic" or move with the wheel if they do?

To do