Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd June 2011, 21:20   #11
Martynp
Passed Away

Rover 75 2.5V6 Tourer

Reference Soakaways

I pay my water rates to Southern Water, they cover many Counties in the South-- Hampshire & Isle of Wight, East & West Sussex and Kent.
Bills indicate that a small reduction in the normal water rate payment can be obtained if you prove that your building has soakaways for rainwater disposal-----seems therefore they are the prefered option------to prevent overload of foul sewers

I have obtained that reduction, known as surface water, on all the properties owned by my family.

As I said before, guess it depends upon in which part of England you operated -----

1 in 80 Fall Colvert----my quote of 1 in 40 was the minimum expected in areas I know of!

Still wonder if the OP can make any sense of his system!

Last edited by Martynp; 23rd June 2011 at 23:09.. Reason: typo
Martynp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 18:21   #12
RoryRover
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Con SE CDTi tourer

The requirement for all surface water to be taken into soakaways was introduced when the new part H of the Building Regulations was introduced in 2002 and applies thoughout England and Wales. Any new dwelling or extension built after this change came into effect should not connect surface water into the foul drainage system - although there are some acceptable alternatives to soakaways.

See http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/upl...F_ADH_2002.pdf
RoryRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 20:09   #13
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Neal View Post
The requirement for all surface water to be taken into soakaways was introduced when the new part H of the Building Regulations was introduced in 2002 and applies thoughout England and Wales. Any new dwelling or extension built after this change came into effect should not connect surface water into the foul drainage system - although there are some acceptable alternatives to soakaways.

But of course there are still some storm drains separate to foul drains.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 20:32   #14
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martynp View Post
Reference Soakaways

I pay my water rates to Southern Water, they cover many Counties in the South-- Hampshire & Isle of Wight, East & West Sussex and Kent.
Bills indicate that a small reduction in the normal water rate payment can be obtained if you prove that your building has soakaways for rainwater disposal-----seems therefore they are the prefered option------to prevent overload of foul sewers

I have obtained that reduction, known as surface water, on all the properties owned by my family.

As I said before, guess it depends upon in which part of England you operated -----

1 in 80 Fall Colvert----my quote of 1 in 40 was the minimum expected in areas I know of!

Still wonder if the OP can make any sense of his system!
Martyn. Have a quick look at Wickes drainage info. Leaflet No 74 on foul drains. 1 in 40 falls mean too much excavation and backfill and thus COST more. More cost, less profit.

John.D.
Old 24th June 2011, 21:16   #15
Martynp
Passed Away

Rover 75 2.5V6 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Neal View Post

Thankyou for your post John, seems regs have moved on since my time, to good effect-----and may just be the info that the OP needs, or has he given up on his thread?

Hi Colvert, another John
So Wickes trade note about falls to road foul sewers is todays expediency (effiency?)
I understand the thrust of that note, however I would prefer to instal a system which gradualy & steadily reaches the level of the main sewer in the road(of indeterminate depth) with what I consider to be an adeqate flow rate, who knows what some people flush away------

Interesting discussion on these out of sight systems-----

In my early days in Devonshire clays I remember seeing an obviously Ex miner at least 12 ft down in a trench, sat back on his legs, finding the main sewer in a main road.
Even then I thought that he was risking his life-----No Health & Safety in those days!!

Think I have now exhausted my accumulated knowledge on this subject

Last edited by Martynp; 24th June 2011 at 21:24.. Reason: Think I have-----
Old 25th June 2011, 21:00   #16
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Hi there again Martyn.

Amongst the various hundreds and hundreds of metres of foul drainage I have set out is all that installed in DARTMOOR PRISON. That was 10- years ago now. If that didn't work I would think all the cells must be filled to the top by now. YUK !!!!!

John.D.
Old 25th June 2011, 22:09   #17
Martynp
Passed Away

Rover 75 2.5V6 Tourer

That gives a new definition to the phrase "slopping out" I guess John
lol and more lols
Regards Martyn