Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th July 2011, 12:20   #1
RoryRover
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Con SE CDTi tourer

Default Walnut gear knob

I have just brought a rather nice walnut gear knob from an early 75 for my 2004 Connie Cdti tourer (which I have retrofitted with a walnut dash and wheel)

The gear knob is the same shape, but slightly smaller than the light oak knob already fitted (and the gear selector graphic has wavy rather than straight lines.

Trouble is, the internal diameter of the hole is much larger than the existing knob, which appears to have a black insert fitted to reduce the diameter.

Is it possible to remove this insert and fit it to the walnut knob, and if so how do I get it out ??
RoryRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 12:29   #2
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Not sure about the plastic insert on the walnut gearknob but I can tell you how I removed the long plastic insert from the Freelander Walnut Hanbrake Grip.....I stuck it in the microwave for about 5secs.
I was then able to withdraw the plastic insert as it made the glue go soft.
I would imagine you could apply the same process to the Gearknob & just glue the insert back in.
The only thing is, I don't know how or if this would affect the gear selector graphic !!
This is just what I did & of course I won't take any responsibility if this doesn't work for you.
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote