Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th August 2011, 09:50   #61
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza View Post
Pity old Clarkson did't highlight the failings of the German metal a bit more over the years instead of bashing MG-R at every opportunity.Mud sticks with the buying public.
Awfully powerful that Clarkson eh?

Last edited by topman; 24th August 2011 at 11:34..
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 10:42   #62
ardvark
Al

75 CDTI Tourer Auto

He's a t---er
Old 24th August 2011, 11:11   #63
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
Awfully power that Clarkson eh?
Look at his bank balance

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 11:15   #64
soapy
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Contemporary Diesel Auto

Father in law sold his 05 plate 75 CDTI and got himself a Volkswagen Eos kind of regretting it now says his new car has no soul.

Joseph Stalin.
soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 11:20   #65
Leyland Worldmaster
This is my second home

Audi A2 1.4TDI

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLan View Post
suggest you look at honestjohn's web site (the columnist from the telegraph).
He is quite clear in saying that VW's image of *superior* reliability has no basis in reality. He bases this assessment on the many thousands of letters he receives from owners. To clarify he says that they are no better or worse than most other manufacturers these days.
Will do Mr Johnlan. The stupid thing is that at the time I bought that car, I really wanted the '75 but I was too young to insure it at a reasonable cost... Still blagged a test drive in one though! An Atlantic Blue 1.8! Never thought I'd get one a few years later...

🏓
Leyland Worldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 11:54   #66
RoryRover
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Con SE CDTi tourer

I had a lupo as well - the 1.7td which I really liked all the way up to the day the brakes failed.

I was coming up to two lanes of trafic stationary at the lights - pressed the brake pedal - and nothing happened. I went into full panic mode - pressed harder and yanked on the handbrake and eventually it did stop - but with me parked between the two rows of trafic and getting some very funny looks. If that gap had not been there the only choice was which of the two cars at the back of the rows to hit.

I drove the car very slowly to the VW dealership which fortunately was less than a mile away and told the service manager what had happened. Then a technician walked out caring a small pipe, opened the bonet and replaced the one already there which has a hole in it.

Apparently it was a known problem with lupos which VW knew all about but did not feel warranted a safety recall. The car had only been serviced 2 weeks earlier at the same dealer.

I went ballistic. So far as I was concerned they had put my life at risk - but the dealer remained resolutely unconcerned. I did eventually get a free service out of it - but I never felt able to trust the car again.
RoryRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 12:38   #67
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoryRover View Post
I had a lupo as well - the 1.7td which I really liked all the way up to the day the brakes failed.

I was coming up to two lanes of trafic stationary at the lights - pressed the brake pedal - and nothing happened. I went into full panic mode - pressed harder and yanked on the handbrake and eventually it did stop - but with me parked between the two rows of trafic and getting some very funny looks. If that gap had not been there the only choice was which of the two cars at the back of the rows to hit.

I drove the car very slowly to the VW dealership which fortunately was less than a mile away and told the service manager what had happened. Then a technician walked out caring a small pipe, opened the bonet and replaced the one already there which has a hole in it.

Apparently it was a known problem with lupos which VW knew all about but did not feel warranted a safety recall. The car had only been serviced 2 weeks earlier at the same dealer.

I went ballistic. So far as I was concerned they had put my life at risk - but the dealer remained resolutely unconcerned. I did eventually get a free service out of it - but I never felt able to trust the car again.
Absolutely shocking.

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 12:45   #68
Customs Inc
Loves to post

'01 Conn Se Raven Black tourer, 2000 2.5 Classic grey saloon

Yep, pipe from the inlet to the servo. Thankfully most have been rectified now, but starting to see them in with cracks in the replacement pipe, which is an exact replacement not a modified part. Good old VW...
Old 24th August 2011, 14:04   #69
Graham1961
Moderator / RS East Scotland

Rover 75 1.8 Conn Se saloon

Default Life after MG Rover

I have just checked Honest John's website and to be fair Volkswagen's have their fair share of problems, judging by the feedback...i did hear an issue regarding brake fluid loss from the mechanic that services my own car.....it concerned washers between the end of the brake pipe unions where they screw into the rear calipers, the washer reacts between the two parts, it erodes causing fluid loss from the rear hubs.....apparantly VW were replacing the washers with copper ones when the cars were coming in for their first service (VW dealers that is) without informing the customer.

I actually saw a couple of the washers that the mechanic had himself removed when a customer took their nearly new Golf to him to have a look at a brake fluid leak....the washers were eroded which was causing the leak.
Old 24th August 2011, 14:06   #70
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza View Post
Look at his bank balance
Big is it?
topman is offline   Reply With Quote