Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th October 2011, 21:37   #1
RoryRover
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Con SE CDTi tourer

Default T4 and Identifying airbag fault

I have the dreaded airbag light on and have tried the recommended first steps ( checking underseat wires and re-setting the ECU) but without sucess.

Rather than casting around in the dark, I would like to find out exactly what and where the fault is.

Is this something that can be identified by a T4 session ?
RoryRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 22:20   #2
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoryRover View Post
I have the dreaded airbag light on and have tried the recommended first steps ( checking underseat wires and re-setting the ECU) but without sucess.

Rather than casting around in the dark, I would like to find out exactly what and where the fault is.

Is this something that can be identified by a T4 session ?
Without a shadow of a doubt, BigRuss is your man I'd say.
Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 22:24   #3
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

T4 will normally tell you on which airbag circuit the fault lies so at least you know where to start looking

It will also give you a list of connector numbers to check, connector pin no's and even the wiring colour codes.

There are specific faults however (eg. stored crash data) that it will pinpoint to an exact cause.

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 09:28   #4
rik007
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDT 2002

Hi, bit of a barge in on this one .. but a question on the back of this thread if I may...

I'm still stuck with the airbag light on and I cant yet find an solution. The 5amp fuse keeps blowing everytime I switch on the ignition. Clearly there is a short somewhere. After a reccoemend; I took the drivers door off and looked at the loom but no joy. I've also repalced the yellow connectors under the seats so I know its not that.

Can a T4 also help me detected where the short might be? Or is it a case of looking for the 'needle in a haystack'?

Next job is to take out the seats, remove the console, remove the carpet and poke around. But am loathed to do that if a T4 could pinpoint it.

Thanks, Rich.
rik007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 09:46   #5
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

I'm sure Russ or Brian will put me right, but I can't see a T4 helping you here as you can't get the circuit powered up.

With a non safety circuit, as has been mentioned before, if you wire a bulb into the circuit in place of the fuse with a short it will light up.
Then start unplugging connections until the bulb goes out and you have found the short circuit.

With the airbag circuit though I wouldn't start unplugging things with it powered up. But maybe you could power it down each time and leave it for 10 minutes. Then disconnect one plug at a time and power it back up?

Might point you in the right direction and save some dismantling.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Noc; 11th October 2011 at 09:52..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 13:57   #6
rik007
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDT 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
I'm sure Russ or Brian will put me right, but I can't see a T4 helping you here as you can't get the circuit powered up.

With a non safety circuit, as has been mentioned before, if you wire a bulb into the circuit in place of the fuse with a short it will light up.
Then start unplugging connections until the bulb goes out and you have found the short circuit.

With the airbag circuit though I wouldn't start unplugging things with it powered up. But maybe you could power it down each time and leave it for 10 minutes. Then disconnect one plug at a time and power it back up?

Might point you in the right direction and save some dismantling.

Mike

Thanks Mike, just so I've got it ... its OK to wire in a bulb in place of the fuse as this takes the load on the shorted circuit? i.e. Im not going to drain the battery immediately or set fire to the car at the place where the short is. Errm it might help me find the blasted thing if it did though! Looks like its a carpet out jobbie then and a 12v bulb.

Cheers, Rich.
Old 11th October 2011, 14:48   #7
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Yes, but it is only a momentary test just to check if the bulb is lit or not. Never done this on the SRS circuit but have done it a few times on other circuits.

Mike
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 13:52   #8
safety sweep

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Rik 007

I had a similar problem and found the fault was the connector under the passenger seat, having removed the one under the drivers seat I used this to replace the other no problem since.
safety sweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 14:01   #9
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

have a look between the seats where you buckle the seat belt up to .if one is longer than the other then they would have been deployed at some point thus storing crash data that will need to be cleared ,that will be the only way to put light out and of course placing the pre tensioners .if they are the same size then the yellow connector may have dirty contacts and just need a good clean .what ever you do dont start putting wires and bulbs to this circuit

Last edited by chrissyboy; 13th October 2011 at 14:56..
chrissyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 15:14   #10
rik007
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDT 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissyboy View Post
have a look between the seats where you buckle the seat belt up to .if one is longer than the other then they would have been deployed at some point thus storing crash data that will need to be cleared ,that will be the only way to put light out and of course placing the pre tensioners .if they are the same size then the yellow connector may have dirty contacts and just need a good clean .what ever you do dont start putting wires and bulbs to this circuit
OK so what I am hearing is .. if the pre-tensioners have been used the light will always come on until they have been a)replaced and b)crash data cleared.

From what I've seen I dont think they have deployed, but I'll double check. I'll try and find a photo somewhere on the interweb of a normal length buckle.

I have replaced the yellow connectors already and that didnt cure the prob. But perhaps a good test is to remove the seats or at least unplg them and see if the fuse still blows.

Hmmm the bulb idea did seem like a way forward as it would I assume simply have privided a working resistance. But perhaps it could allow more than 5amps to flow. May be also the AirBag circuit is sensetive to current flow.

5amps at 12volts = 60watts .... I think ? i.e. IxV=W ... so I assume a 10watt buld would have drawn about 1amp, way less than the blow rating of the fuse.

But there again with a short circuit perhaps its a bad idea on the satey system. Just means buying a big bag of 5amp fuses until I find the answer! Hey ho.

Thnaks for all the input though.

Rich.