Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th October 2011, 15:22   #11
RoryRover
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Con SE CDTi tourer

Hi Folks

Just to let you know the car will shortly be going to see BigRuss so I will let you know what the outcome is.
RoryRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 17:08   #12
kissifer1972
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Conn Tourer & Rover 75 CDT Conn SE Saloon

Am pretty certain Russ will find the root of the problem.

I know on mine it is the sensor under the carpet that has got wet.

But, as i say, am sure Russ will find the cause on yours.

Chris
Genuine Rover Xenons - now removed and sold
Kenlowe fan
Synergy 2
EGR Bypass
kissifer1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 17:21   #13
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rik007 View Post
I have replaced the yellow connectors already and that didnt cure the prob. But perhaps a good test is to remove the seats or at least unplg them and see if the fuse still blows.

Hmmm the bulb idea did seem like a way forward as it would I assume simply have privided a working resistance. But perhaps it could allow more than 5amps to flow. May be also the AirBag circuit is sensetive to current flow.

5amps at 12volts = 60watts .... I think ? i.e. IxV=W ... so I assume a 10watt buld would have drawn about 1amp, way less than the blow rating of the fuse.
What you need to do, is simply wire a bulb across a blown fuse. Then instead of constantly buying new fuses, the lamp lights instead of the fuse blowing. The lamp needs to have a current rating similar to the rating of the fuse, a 10w lamp will be about equivalent to a 1amp fuse - your IxV=W is correct, so use an headlamp bulb. I doubt the actual circuit will draw anything like 5amps though, in a quiescent state - more likely just a few milliamps.

I don't know much about these safety circuits, but on a nomal circuit I would start by unplugging everything,then insert the lamp/fuse in circuit, then reconnect the circuits one at a time until the lamp/fuse lights up full brightness. The last thing you reconnected, is the circuit with the fault on it. If it lights up to full brightness with nothing yet connected, then your fault is on the main harness wiring.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 13th October 2011 at 17:27..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 13:47   #14
rik007
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDT 2002

Out of interest .. just been to book my 75 CDT in for an MOT. I was told that AirBag warning lights are allowed to on this year, but as of next year they will consitute an MOT Fail!

Hmm not good in my case where it may be tricky to find the short circuit .. I'd better get looking then!

Rich.
rik007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 22:18   #15
psicobra
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

any news Rory my airbag light was traced to a faulty side impact sensor may be the same in your case however does not account for the blown fuse.

Andy

long list of work done so long cant fit in signature so here is the link
psicobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 22:24   #16
yorkster

MGZT CDTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Without a shadow of a doubt, BigRuss is your man I'd say.
Brian

had the same problem myself, mainly when we moved the seat back and forth for me and the mrs driving, initially fiddling with the yellow connector sorted the problem I eventually disconnected the joint and slightly bent the mail terminals so they made a better connection, no problems since

yorkster
yorkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 08:36   #17
rik007
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDT 2002

Well, had the carpet out yesteday. Quite a faff but its do-able if you have most of a day to do it.

I unplugged all the sensors I could find on the floor and looked as best I could at the loom, but could not see a short anywhere. But the amount of wiring makes it almost impossible to carry out a detailed visual inspection. The floor panel was dry and all looked OK, but whe the igintion was turned on it popped a fuse still.

In the end I disconncted the silver controller box near the handbrake and then tested again. This time the fuse didnt blow BUT there was no current flowing as I assume removing the control box is effrectively braking the curcit.

So ... my question is .. could it possibly be the control box which is at fault? Can they be replaced? Or could it be the steering wheel bag / passenger bag at fault?

Any ideas anyone?

+0
Cheers again Rich
Old 3rd December 2011, 14:29   #18
rik007
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDT 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by rik007 View Post
Hi, bit of a barge in on this one .. but a question on the back of this thread if I may...

I'm still stuck with the airbag light on and I cant yet find an solution. The 5amp fuse keeps blowing everytime I switch on the ignition. Clearly there is a short somewhere. After a reccoemend; I took the drivers door off and looked at the loom but no joy. I've also repalced the yellow connectors under the seats so I know its not that.

Can a T4 also help me detected where the short might be? Or is it a case of looking for the 'needle in a haystack'?

Next job is to take out the seats, remove the console, remove the carpet and poke around. But am loathed to do that if a T4 could pinpoint it.

Thanks, Rich.
If anyone is interested ... I've just updated the link below which is realted to this thread re AirBag and the Fault Light ...
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=91030

Reagrds, Rich
Old 7th December 2011, 10:14   #19
rik007
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDT 2002

If interested additional update and solution to my issue on:

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=91030

Rich