Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd January 2012, 18:42   #1
RoryRover
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Con SE CDTi tourer

Default Which fuel pump - or both

Just noticed today a noise inside the car (2004 CDTI )which starts when the ignition is turned on - and a little checking under the bonnet shows the noise seems to be coming from the underbonnet fuel pump.

The car starts and runs just fine at the moment - but I presume its just a matter of time before I have problems.

Having seen other posts in the forum, I have always made sure that I have not let the fuel fall below the quarter tank level since buying the car last April.

So am I likely to just need an underbonet pump or is it likely the tank pump needs doing as well ??
RoryRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2012, 19:03   #2
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoryRover View Post
Just noticed today a noise inside the car (2004 CDTI )which starts when the ignition is turned on - and a little checking under the bonnet shows the noise seems to be coming from the underbonnet fuel pump.

The car starts and runs just fine at the moment - but I presume its just a matter of time before I have problems.

Having seen other posts in the forum, I have always made sure that I have not let the fuel fall below the quarter tank level since buying the car last April.

So am I likely to just need an underbonet pump or is it likely the tank pump needs doing as well ??

im a bit confused here .... the pump is supposed to make a make when you turn key ... if the car is working fine then there is no problem ..have a listen in back see if you can hear the in tank pump .if it isnt making a noise then its gone ,but keeping the fuel topped up you dont notice it aint working, the under bonnet one though will be working harder
Old 22nd January 2012, 21:04   #3
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Depends on how much noise.

It is possible to hear a pump in good condition from inside the car as you switch on but don't start the engine. Same with the rear pump if you listen near the rear seat squab. Around 20 seconds before auto switch off if you don't start the engine.

Colvert.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2012, 22:29   #4
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

In this weather it may also be the FBH you can hear????
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2012, 23:25   #5
crofts
I really should get out more.......

2003 Rover 75 Conn. SE Auto Tourer 131 ps CDTi

Default Pumps

Quote:
I had a problem when for first time I went down to the fuel light. Listened for in tank pump.....not working. Replaced by W/Direct.
Then much later had typical 'won't start' problem. Called AA thinking it was a sensor but under bonnet pump was faulty.
This is often the case when i/tank pump fails with extra load thrown on u/b pump. However, as a member pointed out, the i/tank pump could have failed long before the running low event as the u/b pump is quite capable of running the car if the fuel level is kept, say, above a quarter tank.
So. suggest you check i/t pump as the noisy u/b pump is likely to be a sign that it is about to fail.
crofts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2012, 11:33   #6
RoryRover
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Con SE CDTi tourer

Thaks for the feedback !

This noise is definately new and quite loud once the ignition is turned on -and as I do not have an FBH it unfortunately can't be that.

Just this morning I have competed a 100 mile trip in the car and it is running spot on - but I think I will order a new underbonnet pump and see how I get on from there.

Thanks again.
RoryRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2012, 11:37   #7
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

Quote:
Thaks for the feedback !

This noise is definately new and quite loud once the ignition is turned on -and as I do not have an FBH it unfortunately can't be that.

Just this morning I have competed a 100 mile trip in the car and it is running spot on - but I think I will order a new underbonnet pump and see how I get on from there.

Thanks again.
sounds like the u/bonnet pump is getting tired ,good idea to get one now ready for when it goes completely